Aldeer.com

Info needed

Posted By: BayedUp

Info needed - 11/29/13 03:58 PM

I'm wanting to get started reloading for my self. What all do I need to get started? What Name brands and any helpfull info is appreciated? I figure I will give it a shot on my .300 win mag first being I have plenty of brass for it
Posted By: longshot

Re: Info needed - 11/29/13 05:44 PM

Pretty much all name brands are pretty good. It all depends on how much money you want to spend. If you plan on doing this to try and save money your better off spending that money on factory ammo. You will spend more money getting set up than you ever planned and there will always be something else. If you just like to tinker with differnt bullets to see how good they work then you will enjoy it.

Re: Info needed - 11/29/13 08:26 PM

I'm not trin to save money. It's jus something I've always wanted to learn to do. I was jus tring to figure out where to start and what all I need.

Re: Info needed - 11/29/13 08:34 PM

Look at one of the starter kits. First thing you need to do is get several books and manuals and start reading

Re: Info needed - 11/29/13 08:45 PM

Alright thanks . I appreciate the help.
Posted By: bama7x57

Re: Info needed - 11/29/13 08:57 PM

I bought one of these kits back in 1995 when I started. I still use everything except the scale. The scale works and is accurate, but slow.
You can buy more expensive kits, but they won't load any better ammo.

Lee Challenger Kit

Re: Info needed - 11/29/13 10:00 PM

Thanks bama7x57
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: Info needed - 11/29/13 11:09 PM

Lee or RCBS would be good starter kits. In my experience Hornady reloading equipment leaves a lot to be desired.
I'm pretty sure I've saved money over the years. When you load your own you tend to shoot a lot more, which drives the average cost per round down.
I originally started because 280 ammo wasn't readily available. Many times I've read of folks laments on here about how expensive or hard it is to find a particular kind of ammo and thinking all I have to do is take 3 steps over to the table behind me and load some up.

Re: Info needed - 11/29/13 11:19 PM

DP is right. during the ammo scare that is winding down I never worried about not having ammo. I have enough stuff to load ammo for everything I have.
I even have stuff to load ammo for guns I dont have... Just incase I get one one day.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Info needed - 12/01/13 07:36 PM

Do some Google searches for Youtube videos on loading. Buy at least 2 manuals. I like the Speer a lot and also have a Lee. Read the manuals, watch the videos and come back on here or other websites and ask questions until you're 100% confident on loading a case. It's not hard and is very rewarding in that you don't have to depend on any store for ammo.
Posted By: Guns64

Re: Info needed - 12/01/13 11:01 PM

I agree with Wiley, Speer is a good book to start with. I started 2 years ago and love it. I bought the RCBS kit and added a tumbler. My goal was to save a little money when I take the kids to the range and it worked. I also reloaded some 30-06 165gr for hunting and am shooting less than 1 MOA at a hundred yards and haven't had a deer go more than 20yards. The biggest thing to do is ASK ASK ASK as many questions as you can and enjoy!

Re: Info needed - 12/02/13 06:16 AM

Thanks for all the info fellas. I bought the RCBS kit a Speer manual and a nosler manual from Bass Pro last night. Now I gotta make some time to read and watch videos.
Posted By: k bush

Re: Info needed - 12/23/13 08:22 PM

Get a digital scale if you don't have one. I'm not too far away and work in Washington Co. occasionally if you need help.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM