Aldeer.com

Tolerance on seating depth

Posted By: slimwssm

Tolerance on seating depth - 08/29/13 08:06 PM

What allowance does everyone use on the seating depth.I have been
trying to get pretty precise. Still i seem to be getting a difference of around +or- .006.Is that something to worry about.This is on my hunting loads and i do some shooting around 350 to 400 yards max.Just wondering how much if any that will make.I am just curious.
Posted By: Blackhawk

Re: Tolerance on seating depth - 08/29/13 09:54 PM

Slim - not much that you can tell. other than your groups at 100 yards, i wouldn't worry about it, But how are you measuring them,? are you using a Col let die for your calipers, if your measuring the end of the lead, Check the bullets oal, i think you will see the same variation the Col let die measures from the Ogive to the base of the bullet or cartridge.last question how much are you off your rifling?OK i see now that is a bolt action a nice one too.i looked at the picture nice bobcat congratulation on the cat

if you don't see any high pressure signs i wouldn't worry about it. is this on a bolt action rifle? how is the bolt? opens stiff? compared to factory loads.now if it is on a semi auto i would be looking for a better seating die one with the col let in it.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Tolerance on seating depth - 08/30/13 06:54 AM

Seating depth is usually dictated by the magazine for your rifle. You may get more accuracy from bullets seated out far enough to touch or almost touch the lands but that length usually won't fit in a factory magazine.
Posted By: Blackhawk

Re: Tolerance on seating depth - 08/30/13 05:10 PM

wiley- true my 300 win mag i seated the bullets to just touch, bad thing for me to do, back then i didn't know better it cost me a new chamber, and bolt refaced. the gunsmith told if that wasn't a fn model 98 i would have drove the bolt threw my eye, he said no closer than .005 off the lands. that made me re learn a new seating depth, he also said that is fine for 30-06 non magnum's they build up so much more chamber pressure that burning 72.5 grain of DuPont imr 4350 and seating to touch can get you killed he said.he said most guns shoot best with the seating depth anywhere from .005" off to .010" or .015" off the lands.so now i am a lot more careful about seating depth. and i am still alive.:)i use volume efficiency now making up loads to try.it is no fun learning case capacity .plus i don't load for a 30-338 win mag anymore.that thing was awesome on long range shot 500 yards was easy, count heart beat squeeze. let it surprise you when the timmney sear broke to let it fire.

Re: Tolerance on seating depth - 08/31/13 07:53 AM

I think you guys miss understood my question.I understand and have already choose a seating depth.JUst for instance in my 243win with the 105 gr Berger VLD i go with 2.790 but i get variances of + or - .005-.006or7 sometimes.Wounder how much allowance you give in that respect
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Tolerance on seating depth - 08/31/13 10:12 AM

Your tolerance is your allowance ... As long as the length resulting from your seating depth and that tolerance is less than COL you are fine.
Posted By: nitroexpress

Re: Tolerance on seating depth - 09/16/13 06:27 AM

Are you using BR dies?

Re: Tolerance on seating depth - 09/16/13 06:10 PM

Just using some standard rcbs neck and fl sizing depending on the rifle
© 2024 ALDEER.COM