Aldeer.com

Reloading

Posted By: twaldrop4

Reloading - 02/14/20 05:57 PM

Tell me what I need to buy to leave the store and come home and load. I mean powder and all
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Reloading - 02/14/20 08:03 PM

First thing you buy is a loading guide published by one of the bullet manufacturers. I like the Sierra bullets guide as a great one to start with. Then read it. After you're done, READ IT AGAIN.

You have no business coming home with the tools to load ammunition without the knowledge to do it SAFELY. You are making small explosives and you not only put yourself in danger with improperly prepared loads but anyone in your vicinity.

I've seen too many people at the range in recent years that are clueless about what they are doing. They're dangerous.

I learned, like many others on this forum, by learning from a father or someone else with knowledge. A tutor can get you started and teach you the right ways, but more importantly, let you know when you are doing something wrong.
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: Reloading - 02/14/20 08:19 PM

Yep not the way to do it. Learn to do one step at a time. If you have to ask you aren't ready.
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: Reloading - 02/14/20 08:43 PM

Twall after you read the manuals at least twice you'll see the advice above is sound. After you start no rush no hurry enjoy the process.
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Reloading - 02/14/20 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by twaldrop4
Tell me what I need to buy to leave the store and come home and load. I mean powder and all

Ain't sure where in central Alabama your in bit if ur close to me I'd be glad to have you come hang out for a bit and kinda show you the process
But take the above advise and start with a manual preferably from the bullet manufacturer your planning on using
Posted By: 1bamashooter

Re: Reloading - 02/14/20 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ar1220

Ain't sure where in central Alabama your in bit if ur close to me I'd be glad to have you come hang out for a bit and kinda show you the process
But take the above advise and start with a manual preferably from the bullet manufacturer your planning on using

After reading a reloading book then find someone to walk you through the steps that's how I learned and I've taught several over the years.
Posted By: Jtb51b

Re: Reloading - 02/14/20 11:18 PM

Most manufacturers sell a basic kit. With a kit, a set of dies, a pound of powder, primers and bullets you could start loading straight wall pistol stuff right away. If you want to load for a rifle you will need some more things, trimmer ETC. Most of the kits have a press, a manual and other basic tools to get started. Might be a good idea to get a friend who loads to go with you to buy, be prepared to spend a good deal to get started. After you get the stuff yall can set it up and learn on your own equipment. Nothing more annoying that watching someone with advanced tools and knowledge at their equipment and then coming home to try and remember it all on your own different stuff.

Jason
Posted By: 1bamashooter

Re: Reloading - 02/15/20 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jtb51b

Most manufacturers sell a basic kit. With a kit, a set of dies, a pound of powder, primers and bullets you could start loading straight wall pistol stuff right away. If you want to load for a rifle you will need some more things, trimmer ETC. Most of the kits have a press, a manual and other basic tools to get started. Might be a good idea to get a friend who loads to go with you to buy, be prepared to spend a good deal to get started. After you get the stuff yall can set it up and learn on your own equipment. Nothing more annoying that watching someone with advanced tools and knowledge at their equipment and then coming home to try and remember it all on your own different stuff.

Jason

Dont load pistol or buy pistol powder until you get some experience. It's too easy to double charge a pistol case and blow your shucks up. Start with rifle then move to pistol a basic kit is all you need for either
Posted By: BamaGrad85

Re: Reloading - 02/15/20 02:12 AM

I have a Lyman, Hornady, Nosler & Sierra loading guides. Have read all several times. As I bought each piece of equipment I learned how to use them before moving to the next piece of equipment. I wrote out a procedure about what I needed to do (steps) to reload a round for one of my rifles. This took a couple of weeks before I attempted to reload a round. Check & double check. I've been doing it for over 10 years and still learning. It's not a race. Take your time. I was at the range one day and they were loading a guy in the ambulance. He was shooting hot loads and his gun practically blew up on him. I heard it messed up his hand pretty bad. Be safe!!!
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: Reloading - 02/15/20 04:19 AM

One my favorite things is you never stop learning.
Posted By: Jtb51b

Re: Reloading - 02/15/20 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by 1bamashooter
Originally Posted by Jtb51b

Jason

Dont load pistol or buy pistol powder until you get some experience. It's too easy to double charge a pistol case and blow your shucks up. Start with rifle then move to pistol a basic kit is all you need for either

Which basic kit comes with a trimmer? I started with 38 special with a lee loader squeeze loader and I have never blown up anything. You can blow up a rifle just as easily with the wrong powder.

Jason
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Reloading - 02/17/20 01:26 PM

It's not for everybody but I bought and started loading on a Dillon 550B and it's still my only press. My first rounds were 45ACP and I loaded up a few thousand while waiting for the ATF to approve the Form 4 for my MAC10. When I load my hunting rounds I hand weigh the powder. Everything else gets cranked out as the press was designed to do.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM