Aldeer.com

Beaver pelts

Posted By: whack-n-stack

Beaver pelts - 12/30/13 10:24 AM

What's the going rate for a beaver pelt and where can I sell them?
Posted By: shooters

Re: Beaver pelts - 12/30/13 11:19 AM

TO many women giving them away to be worth anything! rofl No seriously xl northern beaver going for 26 dollars tanned and about 16 dollars green. Just do internet search for fur buyers. Their was a treed on here about some on selling to some place in mississippi. Years ago we use to take them to gurly alabama but that buyer died years ago.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Beaver pelts - 12/30/13 12:03 PM

Originally Posted By: whack-n-stack

You shooting them with a shotgun while duck hunting or trapping them?it takes 5 holes to make a bad hide. So if shot with a shotgun they probably aren't worth anything. Another problem you run into with beavers is that they fight a lot. If it's on the river in an area with a lot of beavers they are liable to be scarred up bad and that hurts the price. One thing to keep in mind is that southern fur is worth a lot less than northern fur.
Posted By: North40R

Re: Beaver pelts - 12/30/13 12:09 PM

A lot less is correct! Buyer told me $7 for green beaver skins! That sucks!
Originally Posted By: Beadlescomb

Originally Posted By: whack-n-stack

You shooting them with a shotgun while duck hunting or trapping them?it takes 5 holes to make a bad hide. So if shot with a shotgun they probably aren't worth anything. Another problem you run into with beavers is that they fight a lot. If it's on the river in an area with a lot of beavers they are liable to be scarred up bad and that hurts the price. One thing to keep in mind is that southern fur is worth a lot less than northern fur.

Re: Beaver pelts - 12/30/13 12:10 PM

I was gonna trap them on the river. I got a hole with 5-7 beavers in it. Just gotta find a buyer before I go do it.

Re: Beaver pelts - 12/30/13 12:34 PM

You have to buy a trapping license too

Re: Beaver pelts - 12/30/13 12:36 PM

Is that a commercial liscense? If so, there's not that many wet hairy beavers to make it worth it.

Re: Beaver pelts - 12/30/13 12:36 PM

dang!! 7 dollars is not worth the time! Even skinning them with an air compressor, thats just not worth the time. In the good old late 80s they where worth ten times that! slap

Re: Beaver pelts - 12/30/13 01:14 PM

Trapping to make money is pretty much a thing of the past.

Re: Beaver pelts - 12/30/13 01:51 PM

Thats true! the only money i make know is bounty work on coyote> 50 to 150 a piece depending how far i have to travel.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Beaver pelts - 12/30/13 01:52 PM

Money from trapping is at a good level right now due to international market demand, from what I understand. It may not be like "the old days" but it's not bad.

Re: Beaver pelts - 12/30/13 02:02 PM

If you tan your own hides and play the fur market like you do the stock market then YES their is still good money to be made. The thing you MUST do how ever is cut out the middle man. You need to send you furs directly to international buyers. Fur dealers here must buy LOW from us and then sell high to the international dealers, and a range shipping . I have often wonder how it who work out to send beaver pelt threw fed x internationally? If you got caught would it really be that big of a deal? Its fur not drugs or firearms.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Beaver pelts - 12/30/13 02:05 PM

Shipping furs and/or animal parts internationally? I don't think you could just stick 'em in a FedEx box and be good with it.

Re: Beaver pelts - 12/30/13 02:47 PM

me either i just wander how bad could it really be if you got caught.

Re: Beaver pelts - 12/30/13 03:07 PM

Shipping furs to NAFA is done everyday! As long as the furs are dry and properly tagged there is no penalty or fine for it!

My problem is I simply don't have the time or facilities to properly flesh, stretch and dry my own furs! Guess I'll have to deal with the middle man for now!

Clem our southern fur is the tail end of every market report. Most of the numbers you read about are for northern fur bearers and our critters average less than half what they bring!
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Beaver pelts - 12/30/13 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: shooters
TO many women giving them away to be worth anything! rofl No seriously xl northern beaver going for 26 dollars tanned and about 16 dollars green. Just do internet search for fur buyers. Their was a treed on here about some on selling to some place in mississippi. Years ago we use to take them to gurly alabama but that buyer died years ago.

Died?When?
Posted By: bowtarist

Re: Beaver pelts - 12/31/13 06:20 AM

He's still buying in Gurley. May not be the same guy but there is a fella that's buying em.

Re: Beaver pelts - 12/31/13 04:38 PM

Bill-collector where is Gurley? I'd love to talk to that buyer and see what kinda prices he's giving compared to the one in Miss. if you have any contact info!
Posted By: AU coonhunter

Re: Beaver pelts - 12/31/13 08:09 PM

Gurley is a little over an hour east of where we are. 15 minutes east of Huntsville on Hwy 72.
Posted By: YEKRUT

Re: Beaver pelts - 12/31/13 08:16 PM

I'd like to have some pelts if you are tanning them Hank. a fox, coon, bobcat, yote.....if you are tanning them I will pay you whatever market is plus your time.

Re: Beaver pelts - 01/01/14 05:14 PM

Ms. Amanda is having a fit to tan some so I guess I'm gonna have to study up on it and give it a try! When I do Brandon I'll definitely do some for you also!

Re: Beaver pelts - 01/01/14 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: North40R
Ms. Amanda is having a fit to tan some so I guess I'm gonna have to study up on it and give it a try! When I do Brandon I'll definitely do some for you also!

Thanks, I am just wanting to put them in Wyatt's room, I always wanted some when I was growing up and I think he will like some too.

Re: Beaver pelts - 01/01/14 06:47 PM

I found a mess of otters today too. There is one sitting on the left of the pier. Wasn't scared of me at all, but I was about 150 yards away.

Posted By: bowtarist

Re: Beaver pelts - 01/01/14 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: North40R
Bill-collector where is Gurley? I'd love to talk to that buyer and see what kinda prices he's giving compared to the one in Miss. if you have any contact info!

I don't have his contact info yet. A friend of mine is selling to him, at least thats what he told me last week. I've got to get back in touch with him and get the guys number. He also buys Ginseng.

Re: Beaver pelts - 01/01/14 09:48 PM

Thanks!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM