Aldeer.com

How to scout for ducks?

Posted By: hallb

How to scout for ducks? - 12/04/19 04:36 PM

So, I pretty much know nothing about duck hunting, just something I've never gotten into. The most of it I've done was in a beaver swamp in GA where we knew the wood ducks would hang out during the day and go in and jump them up, really just killing time between deer hunts. We'd usually jump a bunch of them and get a few, but nothing spectacular. Well, on my new property I have a similar swamp area on it(pic below) and I'm wondering what's the best way to go about scouting to see if there's any ducks, any kind, using it. Go glass around mid day see if there's any in there? Go deer hunt nearby in the mornings/afternoons and keep a look out for them coming out/in?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fishduck

Re: How to scout for ducks? - 12/04/19 04:42 PM

I have a couple of smaller creeks that I shoot wood ducks on when they are there. The best way to scout is from a distance. You need to be far enough away so the ducks are not spooked but close enough that you can pinpoint the area they are using. The simplest is to deer hunt close to there in the morning. Hunt it the next morning if they are using an area.

Ducks are migrating birds and will change patterns all through the season. If ducks are there, shoot them.
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: How to scout for ducks? - 12/04/19 05:53 PM

Following. I'm trying to learn how to best scout myself.
Posted By: Catfish28

Re: How to scout for ducks? - 12/04/19 06:00 PM

It looks like you’ve got a spot with several different locations they could choose to sit down. It’s important to know the location within an area they are using which can vary a bit depending on wind. Ive figured out the hole ducks are using and set up on the wrong side. Had them pile in and didn’t kill a one because the distance was too far for good shots. Ducks will always land into the wind even if it’s very light. They get very cautious as the season goes on.
Posted By: icducks

Re: How to scout for ducks? - 12/04/19 06:20 PM

Same way you scout for deer. I check for feathers on the water. Watch through binos from a distance. Sit in the morning and see if any fly in. Listen. Most ducks tend to make a lot of noise. Especially woodies.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: How to scout for ducks? - 12/04/19 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by icducks
Same way you scout for deer. I check for feathers on the water. Watch through binos from a distance. Sit in the morning and see if any fly in. Listen. Most ducks tend to make a lot of noise. Especially woodies.

All good advice. With that swamp I’d just go sit on the edge one morning and see where they’re landing then come back the next morning and sit on the “X”
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: How to scout for ducks? - 12/04/19 06:50 PM

Hell don’t ask me lol
Posted By: stumpfinder

Re: How to scout for ducks? - 12/04/19 07:00 PM

not with a mud motor

Re: How to scout for ducks? - 12/04/19 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by stumpfinder
not with a mud motor

Hush! You’re gonna hurt someone’s feelings! rofl
Posted By: duxlayer

Re: How to scout for ducks? - 12/04/19 07:59 PM

The only way to find em is with a surface drive(aftermarket exhaust is a must) . Run up in them and flush em up like quail to get a good count . Repeat that about every 30 min or so in case any new ones come in you didn’t see the first time .
Posted By: bobwallace

Re: How to scout for ducks? - 12/04/19 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by duxlayer
The only way to find em is with a surface drive(aftermarket exhaust is a must) . Run up in them and flush em up like quail to get a good count . Repeat that about every 30 min or so in case any new ones come in you didn’t see the first time .

And if given the chance, bust a few coots while the boat is on plane.
Posted By: whack-n-stack

Re: How to scout for ducks? - 12/04/19 08:19 PM

I'd set up on the east side of that sharp bend at the top of the picture. If there's any wood ducks using it, they'll land next to the tree with the most branches sticking out of the water.
Posted By: Overland

Re: How to scout for ducks? - 12/04/19 08:37 PM

Some good advice, such as use binos and view from a distance. Also, deer hunting along a creek to see if/where ducks are going. Remember to get there early, since wood ducks fly just after seeing light. If there is a thick canopy, I look for openings that allow ducks to easily drop into a creek. Also, i have noticed that woodies like to hang out on the upstream side of a big bend in a creek or small river.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: How to scout for ducks? - 12/05/19 01:12 AM

Years ago you could just go in and flush them and see

These days stay off in the distance and listen. The first hours of the day they’ll be whistling or if your lucky some quacks.
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: How to scout for ducks? - 12/05/19 02:53 AM

Sit on that field a morning or two and you will be able to hear them either coming in to feed or leaving
Posted By: AC870

Re: How to scout for ducks? - 12/05/19 05:58 AM

I’d just go hunt it one morning. You can use corn now.

Re: How to scout for ducks? - 12/05/19 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by AC870

Try that and let me know how it goes 👍🏻
Posted By: hallb

Re: How to scout for ducks? - 12/05/19 02:23 PM

Thanks guys for all of the info, I have hunted that field one afternoon so far but at the time, hadn't even thought about starting to look out for ducks in there.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: How to scout for ducks? - 12/05/19 02:26 PM

Or just wait until about 5:15 pm. Should have a good time then.

Dr. B
Posted By: woodduck

Re: How to scout for ducks? - 12/06/19 08:49 PM

Need help scouting it? As others said it would just deer hunt close to it one day watch and listen
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: How to scout for ducks? - 12/07/19 11:24 PM

You need to get out there at first light and see if they're flying. Bring binos. Look for feathers on the water in loafing areas where they are preening. Don't be afraid to bounce around and checking things out. I know everyone thinks that sh*tty weather and cloudy days are "duck weather," but in my experience ducks love high pressure blue bird days that are crisp and cold. When it's cold, at least in the 30s, duck MUST move around to find food since they're burning calories like crazy to stay warm.

You can burn up many a tank of fuel scouting ducks, good luck, I'll be tearing it up here soon in the SeaArk.
Posted By: RedneckNinji

Re: How to scout for ducks? - 12/10/19 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Hevishot13

Try that and let me know how it goes 👍🏻

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
rofl rofl rofl
Posted By: Abbhudson

Re: How to scout for ducks? - 12/12/19 11:06 PM

Black sunflower seeds will be a little more inconspicuous.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: How to scout for ducks? - 12/13/19 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by hallb
Thanks guys for all of the info, I have hunted that field one afternoon so far but at the time, hadn't even thought about starting to look out for ducks in there.
where that be man
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: How to scout for ducks? - 12/13/19 03:29 AM

Just deer hunt close by, if they fly in their in the mornings your good to go. If they fly out it’s a roost hole and would only be good for a couple illegal shoots. Illegal because they typically fly in to roost past shooting time. Also if you shoot a roost more than a couple times they will quit using it all together. I should add that this mostly correlates with 90% of what I’m familiar with which is wood ducks.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM