Aldeer.com

Starting at noon

Posted By: 3FFarms

Starting at noon - 09/02/17 05:34 PM

Who does it? I've only started at noon once in my life and it was miserable.

Do you normally kill any birds at that time?
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Starting at noon - 09/02/17 05:59 PM

Depends. Sometimes you have to on a public shoot to claim a good spot. When it's just a group of buddies, I normally shoot the bull until birds start flying, normally 2-3.
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: Starting at noon - 09/02/17 10:42 PM

I showed up for a public hunt at 8am to claim a spot and still wasn't the first of there.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Starting at noon - 09/02/17 11:39 PM

We had a cutover we hunted for a few years with a pipeline too sewn in wheat. I've never seen anything like it those birds would fly all day long. I had 13 by 2pm the last year we hunted it

Re: Starting at noon - 09/02/17 11:53 PM

I normally find a good shady spot and hang my camo hammock and wait on the shooting to start
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Starting at noon - 09/03/17 08:04 AM

I won't go to the field until 2:30 or so if I'm hosting a hunt; the exception can be if it's cloudy or cool.

I went on an opening day hunt that a cousin hosted several years ago and birds were flying everywhere at 11:30 when I got there. He put us all out and told us not to shoot until noon. My watch said 11:55 when guys started blasting at them. I left the field before 1 pm with my limit and got home in time to watch football. Shoots like that are rare for me.
Posted By: mauvilla

Re: Starting at noon - 09/03/17 01:16 PM

When I was young I wanted to be locked and loaded at 12 and never understood why my grandfather would say " boy it's to damn hot us old guys are going to sit in the shade and eat and drink a few beers until the birds fly" never understood and they would walk out at 230-300 and shoot

Re: Starting at noon - 09/03/17 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher
I won't go to the field until 2:30 or so if I'm hosting a hunt; the exception can be if it's cloudy or cool.

I went on an opening day hunt that a cousin hosted several years ago and birds were flying everywhere at 11:30 when I got there. He put us all out and told us not to shoot until noon. My watch said 11:55 when guys started blasting at them. I left the field before 1 pm with my limit and got home in time to watch football. Shoots like that are rare for me.

Those type of shoots are over so quick it's almost not fun
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Starting at noon - 09/03/17 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Beadlescomb

Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Those type of shoots are over so quick it's almost not fun

Not if you just keep running the doves to the freezer laugh
Posted By: top cat

Re: Starting at noon - 09/04/17 02:59 PM

I've never killed my limit. Always gets dark before I kill enough.
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Starting at noon - 09/04/17 10:32 PM

I have always been curious as to why they open it at noon? Anyone got an answer?

Re: Starting at noon - 09/04/17 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By: lefthorn
I have always been curious as to why they open it at noon? Anyone got an answer?

Tradition probably
Posted By: deerhunter_1

Re: Starting at noon - 09/05/17 10:04 AM

Florida is noon to sunset for all of their first phase hunts.
Posted By: TravisBatey

Re: Starting at noon - 09/05/17 11:09 AM

Years ago we use to get out there early. A few times we had limits across the field by 2 on some barrel burner dove shoots. Those were the exception as most the time it seem like 2:30 before birds are moving.

I don't care anything about getting out there at noon any more, if it's hot. We'll prob get to the field around 2:30-3 or so and hunt till dark.

we've got a planting day at the club Saturday so we will prob get home round noon, eat lunch relax then head to the field.
Posted By: bama1157

Re: Starting at noon - 09/06/17 07:51 AM

Originally Posted By: TravisBatey
Years ago we use to get out there early. A few times we had limits across the field by 2 on some barrel burner dove shoots. Those were the exception as most the time it seem like 2:30 before birds are moving.

I don't care anything about getting out there at noon any more, if it's hot. We'll prob get to the field around 2:30-3 or so and hunt till dark.

we've got a planting day at the club Saturday so we will prob get home round noon, eat lunch relax then head to the field.

This is exactly how my Saturday will go, I hope....

we counted over 200 in the field yesterday evening, I just hope the cold front doesn't move them out...
© 2024 ALDEER.COM