Aldeer.com

Going hunting this weekend

Posted By: AUduckiller

Going hunting this weekend - 05/28/13 08:31 PM

A few of us are going this weekend and what is the best combo for corn y'all have found? We are planning on letting it sit in the sun from now until Friday and then burying it in a hole. Thoughts. We're a 55gal drum with corn beer and kool aid. Any other suggestions?
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Going hunting this weekend - 05/28/13 09:13 PM

Don't bury it in the ground if you are wanting to sit on it. You want them to smell it and come in.
Posted By: sbo1971

Re: Going hunting this weekend - 05/28/13 09:23 PM

I put some Cmore Hogs out with corn and they rooted the ground up where I put some of it out to see if it worked as advertised, it did. Other than that I usually go with regular old corn and syrup.

Re: Going hunting this weekend - 05/29/13 09:37 AM

So dig a hole and put in the hole but do not bury it? And any reccomendations on mixing it?

Re: Going hunting this weekend - 05/29/13 09:46 AM

Your mixing is fine. You want the scent to spread easily so they can find it faster.

You are going to think I am crazy, but I fill old socks with sour corn and hang them from low limbs. They can smell it a long long long ways. Put some regular dry corn on the ground around the sock area to hold them there. You are simply trying to get them to the area.

Re: Going hunting this weekend - 05/29/13 12:06 PM

That's pretty genius! I'm gonna try it out

Re: Going hunting this weekend - 05/29/13 08:35 PM

Recommended timeframe for waiting before sitting on bait?
Posted By: 3toe

Re: Going hunting this weekend - 05/29/13 10:22 PM

I wouldn't waste good beer on baiting a hog. Now drinking beer waiting on a hog is a different story. smile

Re: Going hunting this weekend - 05/30/13 09:25 AM

Originally Posted By: AUduckiller
Recommended timeframe for waiting before sitting on bait?

The sign will tell you. If you have a game camera available, put it up as well. If there are LOTS of hogs in the area, you could be setting it in less than 48 hours.

How are you wanting to hunt them, bow, gun, stand, spot and stalk, riding around, etc....?

If you have a depredation permit to bait them, you can get a couple bags and simply ride the logging roads real slow and sprinkle corn over a large area. Then ride those roads again about an hour before dark and you should have pigs hitting it. Of course, be careful and make sure you don't shoot someone coming down the road toward you.

Basically, doing this will allow you to put a line of corn over a couple of miles (assuming large property) and if a pig crosses that line, they will turn and feed down it for a long way. Makes them easy to find. This method works great when gun hunting of course.

Re: Going hunting this weekend - 06/01/13 12:32 PM

Well we got one last night. And went and established about 7-8 different spots with some advice from Barry an should be on like donkey kong tonight

Re: Going hunting this weekend - 06/01/13 12:32 PM

Oh and for all you who doubt the .223 I waxed a hog at 225 last night with it and it never took another step

Re: Going hunting this weekend - 06/03/13 04:51 PM

Well, how did it go?

They were dropping like flies where we were! LOL

Re: Going hunting this weekend - 06/06/13 05:22 AM

We never killed one after the first night. I don't know what happened. I don't know if it was too dry or we did something wrong. I did everything we talke about. Ill call you later and pick your brain. It blew my mind
Posted By: BadHabit

Re: Going hunting this weekend - 06/06/13 02:49 PM

u hunt at night due to the heat? maybe they migrated away?
© 2024 ALDEER.COM