Aldeer.com

hog hunting lingo?

Posted By: bamaeyedoc

hog hunting lingo? - 08/27/12 11:56 PM

I read this forum with great intrest but I'm ignorant to some of the terms y'all use. I thought a "barr" was just another way to refer to a boar. Obviously there is a difference. So What is a "barr" and what is a "sounder?" Thanks!

Dr. B
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: hog hunting lingo? - 08/28/12 01:06 AM

A Barr is a boar that has been cut and released.
A sounder is a group of pigs. Sort of like a pride of lions. A older sow with her female offspring and their young.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: hog hunting lingo? - 08/28/12 02:36 PM

Well alrighty then! Learned something new today! thanks!

Dr. B
Posted By: straycat

Re: hog hunting lingo? - 09/20/12 08:46 PM

Just to all to what Elkhunter said....Barr is short for Barrow, the term used to describe a domestic male pig that has been castrated (without his oysters). Think steer vs. bull in cattle or gelding vs. stallion in horses.
Posted By: doekiller

Re: hog hunting lingo? - 09/26/12 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: straycat
Just to all to what Elkhunter said....Barr is short for Barrow, the term used to describe a domestic male pig that has been castrated (without his oysters). Think steer vs. bull in cattle or gelding vs. stallion in horses.

Or Straycat vs. man in humans.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: hog hunting lingo? - 09/30/12 03:22 PM

A term we used when I lived and hunted in hog country was Schitlo Duvem. One guy would sneak out to the edge of a field and come back and report how many hogs were in the field. You knew it was going to be fun if he said there was a schitlo duvem.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM