Aldeer.com

Hog Bait

Posted By: Stoney

Hog Bait - 08/05/21 07:30 PM

Our club is going to put out a wire pen to trap hogs. What kind of bait would be good to draw them in the pen?
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Hog Bait - 08/05/21 08:25 PM

Nothing better than corn for this job
Posted By: Highlander

Re: Hog Bait - 08/05/21 08:54 PM

Corn is your best friend.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Hog Bait - 08/05/21 09:23 PM

soured corn.

Re: Hog Bait - 08/06/21 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by abolt300
soured corn.

Will that do anything to Deer if eaten?
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Hog Bait - 08/07/21 01:34 AM

Deer won’t eat it.
Posted By: FreeStateHunter

Re: Hog Bait - 08/07/21 11:35 AM

A guy I know in Barbour county will fill 5 gallon buckets with corn about 2 inches from the top, fill halfway with water, put a lid on it and leave it in the sun for a few days. When he baits his trap he doesn’t just dump the sour corn out on the ground, he digs a hole with post hole diggers and fills it with the corn. He said it brings more hogs to the trap because it lasts longer.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Hog Bait - 08/07/21 01:54 PM

Just regular ol corn has killed 100+ for me
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: Hog Bait - 08/07/21 01:56 PM

Plain corn. Anything you do extra is just unnecessary work or money!!!
Posted By: ALMODUX

Re: Hog Bait - 08/09/21 01:09 AM

Not that I claim to be a hog trapping expert of any sort, but when I hunted the hogapalooza lease in Louisiana, plain corn could sit in a trap for weeks, and not catch a hog. The strawberry koolaide, burnt motor oil, beer, and corn concoction they’d sour in buckets, would catch hogs within hours of being put out. No idea why…..but either hogs that KNEW what the traps were, would come get caught anyway, over that stuff, or they didn’t like plain corn to begin with…..and maybe that just happened the 2-3x a year I was there for 7-8 years? Anyway, they could obviously smell everything around that had ANY scent, far better than a deer. They had to know that burned oil smell, I’d imagine?…..but I’ve caught a truckload of mice and rats in cans of burnt motor oil and water mixed. Makes no real sense. Maybe one of the hog experts around here can speak to it?
Posted By: k bush

Re: Hog Bait - 08/09/21 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by ALMODUX
Not that I claim to be a hog trapping expert of any sort, but when I hunted the hogapalooza lease in Louisiana, plain corn could sit in a trap for weeks, and not catch a hog. The strawberry koolaide, burnt motor oil, beer, and corn concoction they’d sour in buckets, would catch hogs within hours of being put out. No idea why…..but either hogs that KNEW what the traps were, would come get caught anyway, over that stuff, or they didn’t like plain corn to begin with…..and maybe that just happened the 2-3x a year I was there for 7-8 years? Anyway, they could obviously smell everything around that had ANY scent, far better than a deer. They had to know that burned oil smell, I’d imagine?…..but I’ve caught a truckload of mice and rats in cans of burnt motor oil and water mixed. Makes no real sense. Maybe one of the hog experts around here can speak to it?

Could be like predator trapping lures, some scents act as a "carrier" that help disperse other scents.
Posted By: Spec

Re: Hog Bait - 08/10/21 04:09 AM

Start on plain ol corn. Once I move the trap in I will pour a little old oil on the ground. They will mess with it but I do it mostly to cover my scent
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Hog Bait - 08/11/21 08:31 PM

You need sour corn. Pour corn in a bucket, add enough water to cover it. Add some yeast, 1 beer, and some cherry jello. Stir it all up, put the top on it, and set it outside in direct sunlight for a few days so it can ferment. When you open it and it bites your nostrils, its ready.

Re: Hog Bait - 08/12/21 01:06 AM

Should I dig a hole in the center of the trap site and cover up the stank arse corn?
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Hog Bait - 08/12/21 01:51 AM

Just put corn in the trap and wait til they eat it
Posted By: Mully

Re: Hog Bait - 08/12/21 01:20 PM

I have never had any real issues with just plain ol corn. If you ever get some that start to get a little leery of the trap toss a few honey buns or some type of pastries in there and they will come on in.
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Hog Bait - 08/12/21 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Highlander
Should I dig a hole in the center of the trap site and cover up the stank arse corn?

I didn't do that when I was in a club that had a trap. The biggest problem we had was the trigger sucked, so I never managed to catch any, but they ate the mess out of the sour corn. They even came and knocked a sealed bucket off the porch on our trailer out there and gnawed thru the lid to get it out. I was going to build a trap but got out of the club because the manager had some "control issues".

The problem with regular corn is everything eats it. Deer, coons, crows and turkeys. And just be ready, pigs are good escape artists....
© 2024 ALDEER.COM