Aldeer.com

Hog proof fence for garden

Posted By: sumpter_al

Hog proof fence for garden - 09/19/17 12:46 PM

My place in Sumter has become overrun with hogs. I kill all I see but they destroyed my garden this summer.

I am planning on next years garden and would like some input on how to keep the hogs out.

I assume they can dig under an electric fence, so I was thinking about a wire fence about 3' tall and 3' (6 foot roll of wire) laid on the ground and staked down (on the outside of the enclosure). I could not mow over the wire without winding it up on the blades so I am thinking just keeping it sprayed.

Any problems or other things I should consider?
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Hog proof fence for garden - 09/19/17 01:34 PM

How big is your garden? Most Co-ops sell "Goat Panels". They are 16' by 34". They start out with the small squares at the bottom and progress up in size. I have clients using them as exclusion corrals around their protein feeders. They run about $23 per.
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: Hog proof fence for garden - 09/19/17 01:52 PM

Last year it was about 1 acre plus another 5 acres of silver queen.

If I went with the panels wouldn't the hogs just dig under?

Could I put up the mesh fence and run a single strand of electric fence wire for added protection? Maybe 6-8" off the ground?
Posted By: 10 POINT

Re: Hog proof fence for garden - 09/19/17 03:13 PM

Farmers around here are putting 2 strands of hi-tensile electric fence around their crops with the bottom strand maybe 4" off the
ground and the 2nd about 4" above that and hooking them up to a solar or battery powered fence charger. Keeps them out!!
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Hog proof fence for garden - 09/20/17 08:00 AM

I haven't had one dig under yet.

I would try the electric fence on a garden that big.
Posted By: JayHook

Re: Hog proof fence for garden - 09/24/17 10:59 AM

Same thing done in Baldwin County by peanut guys...just make sure you do all sides...seriously...some have not sone the road border and not so good
© 2024 ALDEER.COM