Aldeer.com

1st Hog Hunt

Posted By: huntr

1st Hog Hunt - 02/28/17 10:21 AM

Headed over to Ga. on my first hog hunt this weekend. I need some pointers. My buddy says they set up on greenfields and shoot them in the afternoons, but do not have much luck seeing them in the mornings or mid day. Any tips on where to hunt mornings and mid day? Are they nocturnal? Do they lay up all day and feed at night? Like I said I am new to this.
Posted By: extreme heights hunter

Re: 1st Hog Hunt - 02/28/17 10:58 AM

hunt over the pile of corn
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: 1st Hog Hunt - 02/28/17 11:01 AM

Should be a good moon phase for morning and afternoon hunting this weekend. Sure pigs move a lot at night. But, they do move around during the day in these temps a lot as well.

Never had much luck at hunting midday except during full moons.

I like to slip creeks and hardwood bottoms in the mornings. Try to hunt the edges where the hardwoods meet bedding areas (thick areas).
Posted By: huntr

Re: 1st Hog Hunt - 02/28/17 11:34 AM

Hunting them over bait is legal there. Any suggestions on bait?

Re: 1st Hog Hunt - 02/28/17 11:57 AM

I simply use bagged corn. Of course, it is best if they have been prebaited a few days.
Posted By: extreme heights hunter

Re: 1st Hog Hunt - 02/28/17 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By: huntr
Hunting them over bait is legal there. Any suggestions on bait?

Not going to get in to a battle with some Folks on the forum but I've done my own experiments with corn. The FRM brand Apple corn works 10 times better on drawing pigs and deer.

Re: 1st Hog Hunt - 02/28/17 03:01 PM

I like apple corn when I can find it as well.

Dehydrated fish has been determined to be the best feral hog bait by far. But, who in the heck has that?
Posted By: ColeT

Re: 1st Hog Hunt - 02/28/17 05:22 PM

I like the feeders with built in timers. But you need about a week in advance for that.
Posted By: JayHook

Re: 1st Hog Hunt - 02/28/17 11:43 PM

I've tried fish carcasses by the buttload...and have only baited buzzards! LOL...I guess I need to dry them out a bit!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM