Aldeer.com

New plot creation

Posted By: tn_droptine

New plot creation - 10/01/14 02:43 PM

Finally will have my land paid off and own it free and clear here in a few months. End of next summer, I plan on clearing out a portion of my woods (nothing too extreme, just a mid-woods plot). My woods is mostly younger hardwoods that was select cut about 13 years ago, so parts of it are really thick with briars.

What would be a good width for the clearing? I plan on having the plot run along the small creek that runs thru my woods and want it wide enough that sunlight will reach the plot, but I don't want it too wide that the deer will avoid it during daylight hours. Plot will be approx. 250-300 yards long.
Posted By: M48scout

Re: New plot creation - 10/01/14 03:28 PM

Seems like any more narrow than 25 yards or so would not get much light (plus leaf fall on edges would cover up a large fraction). I would pay attention to how it orients lengthwise, and "slope tilt", toward the southern direction.
Posted By: Daggerz

Re: New plot creation - 10/01/14 03:57 PM

in my opinion, the bigger the better. in my opinion, the two most important things for you to consider, are the direction in which the field runs, and you want to make it easy to maneuver a tractor in. the direction that the field runs, can dictate how much sun you get, if the plot is narrower, like M48scout said, and also, you can manipulate the field, so that it is easier for you to hunt
Posted By: jacannon

Re: New plot creation - 10/01/14 04:24 PM

I would make it as long as you feel comfortable shooting. The more edge you have the more deer groups you can support. The most important thing for me is getting into the stand undetected.
Posted By: k bush

Re: New plot creation - 10/02/14 06:21 AM

Width, sunlight, access and prevailing winds. I'd not make it linear, but use something like a V, U or S shape to provide more edge. If you bowhunt add a pinch point to funnel deer past stand location.

All of this is easy working with a blank canvas. Often we have to work around existing openings and such.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: New plot creation - 10/02/14 06:29 AM

I would first figure out a stand site, where you can get in and out of without detection. Make sure its not in a bottom, cause winds swirl in bottoms. Then i would make three narrow plots going away from the stand site. The stand site would be the hub, the plots the spokes coming off the hub. A plot running east/west would get the most sunlight.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: New plot creation - 10/03/14 05:00 PM

Just an idea, 200x40 yds is a little over an acre. That would make it easier for seeding, fertilizing.... rates. And an acre should be large enough to with stand any browse pressure in your greenfield.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: New plot creation - 10/03/14 07:18 PM

k bush and blumsden got it right
© 2024 ALDEER.COM