Aldeer.com

Marshall Ryegrass

Posted By: chris3954

Marshall Ryegrass - 08/21/14 02:13 PM

Got 50lb of this stuff. Never planted it before. Soil test, trip 13...sound right?
Posted By: daniel white

Re: Marshall Ryegrass - 08/21/14 02:22 PM

Marshall will grown on a rock. Put it out and it will go.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Marshall Ryegrass - 08/21/14 03:38 PM

It's the seed that keeps on giving. It keeps coming back year after year. Don't sow it anywhere you don't want it in the future.
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Marshall Ryegrass - 08/21/14 03:42 PM

For best results give it to your neighbor and plant wheat, oats or ceral rye.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Marshall Ryegrass - 08/21/14 07:12 PM

We use to plant it in our food plots years ago. We never had the problems with it that y'all have. I don't know what we were doing that keep it from coming back every year.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Marshall Ryegrass - 08/21/14 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
We use to plant it in our food plots years ago. We never had the problems with it that y'all have. I don't know what we were doing that keep it from coming back every year.

I've never had it come back in a plot either, but it will dang sure come back in a hay field. I don't know if the deer keep the seed eaten off in a small plot or what it has been. When the seeds are in the milk stage, those suckers are sky high in protein. That goes for all cereal grains.

I know that 2Dogs knows what he's talking about when he said he's had it come back from seed, and I know he's got a pretty high deer density where he's at so I don't know what the deal is.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Marshall Ryegrass - 08/21/14 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: FurFlyin
Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS

I've never had it come back in a plot either, but it will dang sure come back in a hay field. I don't know if the deer keep the seed eaten off in a small plot or what it has been. When the seeds are in the milk stage, those suckers are sky high in protein. That goes for all cereal grains.

I know that 2Dogs knows what he's talking about when he said he's had it come back from seed, and I know he's got a pretty high deer density where he's at so I don't know what the deal is.

I don't doubt that some folks are having problems with it. After reading several post about problems with it, I started wondering what we were doing that kept it from coming back. If I could figure out what we were doing, I could make a fortune. Haha
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Marshall Ryegrass - 08/22/14 06:39 AM

Originally Posted By: NightHunter
For best results give it to your neighbor and plant wheat, oats or ceral rye.

This^^^^^^^.
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Marshall Ryegrass - 08/22/14 09:03 AM

I've got it in plots that haven't had it planted in over 10 years. I've mowed it, sprayed it and cussed it, none of it works to get rid of it

Re: Marshall Ryegrass - 08/22/14 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: ronfromramer
I've got it in plots that haven't had it planted in over 10 years. I've mowed it, sprayed it and cussed it, none of it works to get rid of it

Only way I got rid of mine was spray with gly about 3 times one summer. Ya gotta keep yer ground lookin' like the surface of the moon all summer. I think where we mess up is if you do nothing and let it go to seed just once, you've got it from now on.
Posted By: daniel white

Re: Marshall Ryegrass - 08/22/14 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: 2Dogs
Originally Posted By: ronfromramer

Only way I got rid of mine was spray with gly about 3 times one summer. Ya gotta keep yer ground lookin' like the surface of the moon all summer. I think where we mess up is if you do nothing and let it go to seed just once, you've got it from now on.

Yea which is good for me on the pastures. Deer just get what is left, the cows keep it short and tender.
Posted By: AlaMiss

Re: Marshall Ryegrass - 08/22/14 10:57 PM

I thought Marshall was an annual rye grass and was not prone to reseeding? Just curious if everyone is lumping all rye grass together when there are annual and perennial varieties?
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Marshall Ryegrass - 08/22/14 11:46 PM

Originally Posted By: AlaMiss
I thought Marshall was an annual rye grass and was not prone to reseeding? Just curious if everyone is lumping all rye grass together when there are annual and perennial varieties?

It is an annual, but it is a prolific seed producer.

Re: Marshall Ryegrass - 08/23/14 06:29 AM

Originally Posted By: FurFlyin
Originally Posted By: AlaMiss

It is an annual, but it is a prolific, invasive seed producer.

Gave ya a little help there.
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Marshall Ryegrass - 08/23/14 08:29 PM

I'll put it this way. When I was managing hunting property for a company, we did not allow it to be planted and if we found it, we sprayed it and would charge the lessee for the chemical.

Re: Marshall Ryegrass - 08/24/14 05:23 PM

Thank you guys. Iam going to the co op tomorrow to get some cereal rye.
Posted By: Johnal3

Re: Marshall Ryegrass - 08/24/14 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: chris3954
Thank you guys. Iam going to the co op tomorrow to get some cereal rye.

Hehe! Better hurry! U your lucky enough to find it, get ready to pay!

Re: Marshall Ryegrass - 08/25/14 06:18 AM

Lol. After reading this thread I will gladly pay whatever
© 2024 ALDEER.COM