Aldeer.com

WMS feedback

Posted By: M48scout

WMS feedback - 08/08/14 10:20 PM

I bought some seed from WMS today in Eutaw. Just thought I'd jot down some observations on my interaction with them since there's been a fair amount of discussion about their mixes.

They were friendly, and were very responsive to my questions. I felt they were being very honest with me about what would and would not work for me. They are handling my soil samples as well since I happened to have them with me at the time. I asked them to help me protect the bags from rain on my drive back, and they kindly loaded it all on a pallet and plastic wrapped the whole deal.

Anyway, we'll see how it all does this fall. I bought Alabama Blend (8 bags), Brassica Blend (1), and Winter Pea Patch(1), for our little club.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: WMS feedback - 08/08/14 10:23 PM

I believe you're gonna like it.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: WMS feedback - 08/09/14 05:35 AM

Yep, good product and good folks to deal with.
Posted By: Big AL 76

Re: WMS feedback - 08/09/14 07:14 AM

I am thinking about the Alabama blend as well..when are you thinking of planting?
Posted By: M48scout

Re: WMS feedback - 08/09/14 07:18 AM

It usually ends up being early October at our club for planting.
Posted By: bigt

Re: WMS feedback - 08/09/14 11:16 AM

Never seen any of their products around here. Must not have any dealers, but maybe one day....... What is their Alabama blend?

Re: WMS feedback - 08/09/14 11:48 AM

WMS Alabama Blend is an 8-part mix that is comprised of selected Wheat, Oats, Forage Triticale, Forage Winter Peas, Diakon radishes, and annual Clovers.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: WMS feedback - 08/09/14 01:01 PM

What kind of price is it per bag?

Re: WMS feedback - 08/09/14 01:15 PM

$34 as of this morning(not hijacking his post)I called to check a few prices
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: WMS feedback - 08/09/14 01:34 PM

good helpful folks with a good product at good prices....

Re: WMS feedback - 08/09/14 02:15 PM

How much does one bag cover?

Re: WMS feedback - 08/09/14 02:41 PM

http://www.productsforwildlifemanagement.com/store/products/wms-alabama-blend-50-lb-bag/

Re: WMS feedback - 08/09/14 03:08 PM

Thanks Big Al. Looks like an interesting blend. I would definitely give it a try if there was any available.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: WMS feedback - 08/09/14 10:44 PM

Ive purchased from them in the past and agree on what all that has been said thus far. Great service and a good product. But dang, $70/acre just for seed cost? Throw in another $30-$40/acre in fertilizer and cost start adding up quick. I just can't justify it.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: WMS feedback - 08/10/14 08:41 AM

Originally Posted By: 3FFarms
Ive purchased from them in the past and agree on what all that has been said thus far. Great service and a good product. But dang, $70/acre just for seed cost? Throw in another $30-$40/acre in fertilizer and cost start adding up quick. I just can't justify it.

If I'm not mistaken most of their blends are a bag per acre. Never mind I guess I was thinking about the summer seed blends.

Re: WMS feedback - 08/10/14 09:30 AM

Originally Posted By: 3FFarms

$70 per acre ! WMS Deer Magnet is retail $47 per 50lbs, and does one acre.

If I were doing Alabama blend at $36 for 50lbs at 1/2 acre, I'd prolly just put out enough to do 1/2 acre on and acre and add Coker oats and/or triticale to make up the rest. But then I'd have Deer Magnet basically.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: WMS feedback - 08/10/14 09:31 AM

On the site they say 50 pounds per half acre. I think they are talking about the blend.
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: WMS feedback - 08/10/14 09:57 AM

Good products and even better people.
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: WMS feedback - 08/10/14 11:12 AM

Originally Posted By: NightHunter
Good products and even better people.

ABSOLUTELY! thumbup

And, I have been using $100/acre for the past couple of years for my planting costs....and it actually exceeded that a little last year.
Posted By: hunterturf

Re: WMS feedback - 08/10/14 11:24 AM

^^^ cant hide money
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: WMS feedback - 08/10/14 11:26 AM

Oh yeah you can.....just ask my wife!

I hide it on Hunting Leases, Food Plots, Rangers, Boats, Dogs/Dog Food, Tracking Systems...... Heck, I am a Natural at it! smile
Posted By: blumsden

Re: WMS feedback - 08/11/14 06:53 AM

Not available around here. If you plant more than an acre or two, its much cheaper to buy your seed and just mix it yourself at planting.

Re: WMS feedback - 08/11/14 11:29 AM

Originally Posted By: blumsden
If you plant more than an acre or two, its much cheaper to buy your seed and just mix it yourself at planting.

Agree, but try finding stuff like Diakon radish, chicory, durana clover, list goes on at the local feed stores in our area.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: WMS feedback - 08/11/14 11:43 AM

Originally Posted By: 2Dogs
If you plant more than an acre or two, its much cheaper to buy your seed and just mix it yourself at planting.

Agree, but try finding stuff like Diakon radish, chicory, durana clover, list goes on at the local feed stores in our area.

Man, our co-op carries all that, and so does a local feed store. You'd think the co-ops would all carry the same stuff.

Re: WMS feedback - 08/11/14 01:36 PM

Man, our co-op carries all that, and so does a local feed store. You'd think the co-ops would all carry the same stuff.

Yep ya would, asked about triticale just a couple years ago, acted like they'd never heard of it, stuffs been around for years. Coker 227 oats," we can order them." Well you get the picture.

Correction, our Co-op does carry some of those type seed, chicory, clover and the like. They are from Whitetail Institute , in small bags with a picture of a deer on the bag,and we all know what that means. $$$$$$
Posted By: Remington270

Re: WMS feedback - 08/11/14 08:40 PM

Yep ya would, asked about triticale just a couple years ago, acted like they'd never heard of it, stuffs been around for years. Coker 227 oats," we can order them." Well you get the picture.

Correction, our Co-op does carry some of those type seed, chicory, clover and the like. They are from Whitetail Institute , in small bags with a picture of a deer on the bag,and we all know what that means. $$$$$$

I feel your pain. Tuscaloosa coop is the same way. They look at you like you're from Mars if you ask for almost anything. I try to avoid it.
Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: WMS feedback - 08/11/14 09:41 PM

Do those B&C bucks on the bags get a royalty or something causing the prices to jump so much?

Re: WMS feedback - 08/11/14 10:24 PM

We've normally mixed ours in the past buying super sacks of wheat and oats, and mixing rape, WP, and clover. Always had a good stand. Trying the buck buster mix this year as it will only be a few dollars more and a heck of a lot easier just to cut the bag and pour in the hopper. 50lbs to the acre. Looks like a good mix and have heard some good reviews.

http://www.buckbustersseedcompany.com/fallseedmix.html

A list of Alabama distributors...
http://www.buckbustersseedcompany.com/alabama.html
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: WMS feedback - 08/12/14 09:22 AM

Not available around here. If you plant more than an acre or two, its much cheaper to buy your seed and just mix it yourself at planting.

I like the WMS stuff but I do mix my own. Stuff can be hard to find but I order mine about a month out from Wilborns in Cullman. He has yet to find me anything I want at a reasonable price.
Posted By: Reptar

Re: WMS feedback - 08/12/14 09:42 AM

What does the Buck Buster seed retail at for a 50lb sack?

Re: WMS feedback - 08/12/14 10:02 AM

Hillcrest feed and seed said they would not be carrying any..

Re: WMS feedback - 08/13/14 07:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Reptar
What does the Buck Buster seed retail at for a 50lb sack?

Anywhere from $35-40 for the "basic" 8 seed mix. The premium is $50-$55 but have heard its phenomenal. I might try it in a couple of small plots just to see.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM