Aldeer.com

Quality ATV/UTV sprayer???

Posted By: T-town

Quality ATV/UTV sprayer??? - 06/16/13 01:48 AM

Looking for a good boomless or boom sprayer that isn't a piece of junk. Can't find anything online that gets good reviews. What do yall recommend? Thanks
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Quality ATV/UTV sprayer??? - 06/16/13 06:12 AM

Fimco makes good sprayers.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safa...-8&oe=UTF-8

I bought a 25 gallon tank with a wand from Northern Tool about 12 years ago and built my boom from parts at the co-op. Still going strong.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Quality ATV/UTV sprayer??? - 06/16/13 08:26 AM

I bought mine from the CO-OP in Carrollton, AL. I've had it since '99, boom and sprayer. Never had any issues with it.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Quality ATV/UTV sprayer??? - 06/16/13 10:00 AM

I use a 15 gallon sprayer that came from Forestry Suppliers many years ago. The main thing that I've have go bad was the pump, and I just get another one from Tractor Supply and change them out, about $65 each. I bought some nozzles and hose at the Co-Op and built a simple 4 sprayer boom. I spray everything from herbicides to gas/diesel when I'm burning thru it.
Posted By: hunterturf

Re: Quality ATV/UTV sprayer??? - 06/16/13 12:58 PM

North star from northern tool. 25 gallon with wand. Make sure u wash them out after use and run clean water thru the pump and hoses before storage. Will last forever. Mines 13 years old
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Quality ATV/UTV sprayer??? - 06/16/13 03:54 PM

I've been using one similar to this for about 10 years:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578564_200578564

It does need some customizing. The way that the sprayer mounts to the drawbar of the atv was a joke. It lasted about a year before I junked all of that and mounted it to the rear basket. I haven't had a problem with that part since doing that.

If you need agitation, don't buy their kit; its a waste of money. Somebody on here told me how to put a livewell pump in the tank and drill a hole in the top to run the wires to it. That works great and gives you plenty of agitation.

Also, buy a bunch of extra Y cut-off valves. They won't last and will need to be replaced often. They are cheap, so buy several of them and have them ready.

Its one of the most used pieces of equipment on the farm.
Posted By: Turkey

Re: Quality ATV/UTV sprayer??? - 06/16/13 08:02 PM

I bought the same sprayer that Preacher has 3 years ago. It's been a nice trouble free unit. Mine is mounted on a frame that sits in the bed of a Ranger.
Posted By: Blessed

Re: Quality ATV/UTV sprayer??? - 06/16/13 08:31 PM

I found this sight on accident looks like some quality sprayers www.agrimaxx.com
Posted By: truedouble

Re: Quality ATV/UTV sprayer??? - 06/16/13 08:53 PM

hard to beat a 25 gallon FEMCO with 12 ft. fold up boom. Has a 14 ft swath which is ideal for relatively small acreage. I can get a good kill on 2 acres with 25 gallons. actual spray time on 2 acres is around 30 minutes going 4-5 mph. That being said, we will be upsizing to a 200 gallon sprayer for our tractor. I just spent 6 hours spraying 10 acres of corn...just too much time invested in my opinion. Most of the time is spent going back and forth re-filling your tank...

stay away from boomless...they surge so you end up missing some spots.

Re: Quality ATV/UTV sprayer??? - 06/18/13 08:44 AM

>>>stay away from boomless...they surge so you end up missing some spots.<<<

I think that depends on a lot of factors and what all you plan to do with it. Your unit with the boom will probably do a better job of spraying a field of corn than mine will, but I can go a lot faster if I make one pass. On planted crops, I usually lap it and I think it is still faster than a boom. The pump puts out over 4 gallons a minute, so I am gonna empty a 25 gallon tank in about 6 minutes no matter how much ground I cover.

I haven't noticed it surging, but it isn't completely consistent from one end of the spray pattern to the other. I've solved that problem by lapping it halfway. I make a pass on the field, and the next pass I throw the spray back to the center of where the ATV went on the previous trip. That makes it pretty even, good enough for me for a wildlife plot. If it were production agriculture, I'd use the big tractor sprayer. I haven't even hooked it up in several years; its so much easier to work with the atv sprayer and it does much less damage to a broadcasted crop.

But where the boomless sprayer really shines is in other types of work. For burning down deer plots with gly, I make one pass and use a pretty heavy mix and kill virtually everything and do it quickly. It takes me 3 or 4 minutes to run over a deer plot. I can also shut off one side and spray the sides of the road and get a good kill while just driving down the road.

I try to do way more than I ought to, and since I live 90 miles from the farm I have to do everything I can to save time. The boomless sprayer saves me a lot of time over one with a boom. It is also much faster than using the big sprayer on the tractor.
Posted By: T-town

Re: Quality ATV/UTV sprayer??? - 06/18/13 09:22 AM

Hey Preach,
How does that spray nozzle support bar attach under the 4 wheeler? Does it hitch on the ball? I like that North star, but trying to see how it would setup off the back of a Gator or Ranger.
Posted By: truedouble

Re: Quality ATV/UTV sprayer??? - 06/18/13 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher
>>>stay away from boomless...they surge so you end up missing some spots.<<<

I think that depends on a lot of factors and what all you plan to do with it. Your unit with the boom will probably do a better job of spraying a field of corn than mine will, but I can go a lot faster if I make one pass. On planted crops, I usually lap it and I think it is still faster than a boom. The pump puts out over 4 gallons a minute, so I am gonna empty a 25 gallon tank in about 6 minutes no matter how much ground I cover.

I haven't noticed it surging, but it isn't completely consistent from one end of the spray pattern to the other. I've solved that problem by lapping it halfway. I make a pass on the field, and the next pass I throw the spray back to the center of where the ATV went on the previous trip. That makes it pretty even, good enough for me for a wildlife plot. If it were production agriculture, I'd use the big tractor sprayer. I haven't even hooked it up in several years; its so much easier to work with the atv sprayer and it does much less damage to a broadcasted crop.

But where the boomless sprayer really shines is in other types of work. For burning down deer plots with gly, I make one pass and use a pretty heavy mix and kill virtually everything and do it quickly. It takes me 3 or 4 minutes to run over a deer plot. I can also shut off one side and spray the sides of the road and get a good kill while just driving down the road.

I try to do way more than I ought to, and since I live 90 miles from the farm I have to do everything I can to save time. The boomless sprayer saves me a lot of time over one with a boom. It is also much faster than using the big sprayer on the tractor.

Good points on the boomless. Didn't consider the gallons per minute. The boomless I used did spray faster but it also surged. Not sure why. Gly is pretty cheap, but how much more do you think you waste cutting your swath in half on the second path? In other words how many gallons to spray one acre and how much gly do you use per gallon? I can cover an acre with 12-15 gallons using 3 oz. per gallon.

Now for 10 acres or more I'll have to disagree and say a 200 gallon tractor sprayer with a 40 ft. boom is much faster. In the 6 hours it took me to spray 10-12 acres, probably 2 hours was spent going to and from the field to the house to fill up the 25 gallon tank. If a tractor sprayer isn't an option you do have a good point on the boomless, but it's good to know the potential downside of surging if you get one.

Re: Quality ATV/UTV sprayer??? - 06/18/13 08:50 PM

Spraying back to the center of your tracks, just cut your chemicals in half. Tip to tip doubles the acreage you can cover vs half overlap.

Re: Quality ATV/UTV sprayer??? - 06/18/13 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: hunterturf
Spraying back to the center of your tracks, just cut your chemicals in half. Tip to tip doubles the acreage you can cover vs half overlap.

That's the point I was making. Trudouble, I don't lap with gly on deer plots; just one pass and cover about 30' a trip. There might be a spot or 2 in the patch that gets missed, but it doesn't really matter on a job like that. I put 2 quarts in the 25 gal tank and try to drive at a speed to cover 2 acres. When lapping while spraying chufas, I cover 1 acre with a tank.

And my tractor boom is only 12'; a 40' boom would make it a different story.

Re: Quality ATV/UTV sprayer??? - 06/18/13 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: T-town
Hey Preach,
How does that spray nozzle support bar attach under the 4 wheeler? Does it hitch on the ball? I like that North star, but trying to see how it would setup off the back of a Gator or Ranger.

It attaches to the hole in the drawbar and it doesn't work well at all. It lasted a year or so and caused enough problems that I did away with it. I just bolted it to the rear basket and it is rock solid now. If you don't have some kind of a rear basket, you might want to look at another model.

There's not that much difference in these things. They are just a tank, a pump, and the hoses and nozzles and cutoffs. All of it can be easily replaced by something you can buy of another brand.

Re: Quality ATV/UTV sprayer??? - 06/18/13 10:02 PM

This is the nozzel I use. Its a brass teejet. 35' swath. U can cover some ground quick. I got it at the coop in selma
Posted By: Blessed

Re: Quality ATV/UTV sprayer??? - 06/18/13 10:09 PM

That looks like the same attachment i saw on the agrimaxx.com site I had never seen one .
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Quality ATV/UTV sprayer??? - 06/18/13 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: hunterturf
North star from northern tool. 25 gallon with wand. Make sure u wash them out after use and run clean water thru the pump and hoses before storage. Will last forever. Mines 13 years old

Another vote for north star. Mine has worked flawlessly
Posted By: Turkey

Re: Quality ATV/UTV sprayer??? - 06/19/13 12:58 PM

T-Town, I welded up a quick and dirty frame to mount mine in the bed of a 2004 Ranger. If it will help, I'll try to send pictures tomorrow. The frame mounts in the bed using the bed mounting bolts and the sprayer is strapped to the frame. The nozzles are mounted in a leg of the frame that extends past the lowered tailgate.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM