Aldeer.com

throw and mow question

Posted By: Shaneomac2

throw and mow question - 01/05/24 03:23 PM

i got a place next to a creek bottom i would like to try and plant something,( summer plot) but it barley gets any light what so ever. Im thinking max light in daytime 1-2 hours if that..
What to plant or waste of time??
Posted By: k bush

Re: throw and mow question - 01/05/24 04:50 PM

White clover.
Posted By: CNC

Re: throw and mow question - 01/05/24 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by k bush
White clover.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: throw and mow question - 01/05/24 06:49 PM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is the plot youre talking about. We used chainsaws and hand tools. Then a blower. Throw out some oats or wheat when the leaves are off tge trees. I did put some crimson clover in there as well. It did fine too. That should be some really good dirt.

Re: throw and mow question - 01/05/24 06:51 PM

man that looks great.. but spring/summer planting leaves will be on the trees so should be out of the way for that time and i an replant for fall..

Re: throw and mow question - 01/05/24 06:52 PM

It wasnt hard at all. Get all the leaves off of it and spread seeds ahead of a gentle rain. Yours will look just like this one

Re: throw and mow question - 01/05/24 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Shaneomac2
man that looks great.. but spring/summer planting leaves will be on the trees so should be out of the way for that time and i an replant for fall..

You might try the white clover then sling out some kind if grass qhen the leaves fall off. The good soil is going to be your biggest help. That soil was black and soft. I just raked it out with a hard rake after i blowed the leaves off and then spread the seeds
Posted By: CNC

Re: throw and mow question - 01/05/24 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by jwalker77
That soil was black and soft.........

That's the goal of no-till.......to turn the soil in your food plot into just what you described.

Re: throw and mow question - 01/05/24 07:05 PM

Just a description of whats in that picture. Creek bottom, 30-40yds off the creek, hardwoods logged several years ago. Trees that are big now were left then. Just now grown up enough to walk through easy. Very sandy soil at the bottom of a steep slope. Pretty rocky too, in general. Not ideal for planting, so youd think. Years and years of organic matter makes alot of difference

Re: throw and mow question - 01/05/24 07:06 PM

i want it the food right next to two lakes so they have food, water and feel safe coming in and out.. Just will have to figure out best way to hunt it when i do it..
© 2024 ALDEER.COM