Aldeer.com

Ford 309 Rebuild

Posted By: joshm28

Ford 309 Rebuild - 03/09/19 07:00 PM

I’m a sucker for old school pieces of equipment. I purchased this Ford 309 planter from a member here a couple weeks ago.
[Linked Image]

I decided to go ahead and redo it before we start planting. Plus it gives me a better idea as to how it works by taking it apart and rebuilding it.

I started yesterday by taking the planter units off and sand blasting, check/change bearings and repaint. The fertilizer assembly is corroded and will take a little time. Here’s some pics so far
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Both kids are running around the shop, playing in the creek and smashing rocks. It’s a good day boys. Just wish my grandfather was around to see it.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mike35549

Re: Ford 309 Rebuild - 03/10/19 03:14 AM

Nice I have a old 2 row Covington planter I am rebuilding been working on it on and off for a year or so and am about 3/4 finished.
Posted By: hosscat

Re: Ford 309 Rebuild - 03/11/19 05:35 PM

Awesome
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: Ford 309 Rebuild - 03/12/19 12:26 AM

Your making blondie do all the work...aren't you!?!?!

Re: Ford 309 Rebuild - 03/12/19 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by trailertrash
Your making blondie do all the work...aren't you!?!?!

Absolutely. She’s a daddy’s girl through and through and I absolutely love it
Posted By: BatesConst

Re: Ford 309 Rebuild - 03/12/19 03:30 AM

Following... I think Messick's has about any part you need for this unit. I'm sure you could probably find some on eBay also.
Posted By: Morris

Re: Ford 309 Rebuild - 03/12/19 04:30 AM

Great thread. That’s going to turn out awesome

Re: Ford 309 Rebuild - 04/03/19 02:09 AM

Little update. The fertilizer cradle assembly is shot so I went ahead a removed the fertilizer box. None available for purchase that I can find so I’ll have my brother and buddy help me fab a new on later in the year. I did go ahead and remount the planter assemblies and ran a test run on some HARD packed dirt. It’s laying down corn decent but needs to be tweaked. One issue I found was a few cracked or broken seeds. I’m. Not sure if it’s due to very old seed or the plate is wrong for the dent corn I tested it for. The other thing that surprised me was the depth I was able to achieve on hard packed soil. I’m thinking that some of our deer plots with “softer” loamy soil might let me nottillif I burn it down first with gly. What do you guys think?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: Ford 309 Rebuild - 04/03/19 02:17 PM

Fun times. Can't wait to see it all finished.
Posted By: BamaPlowboy

Re: Ford 309 Rebuild - 04/06/19 11:41 AM

Good post and pics josh! Love to see new life given to old iron! Seems like those old plate planters are notorious for chewing up a little seed. If you can find some new disc openers you could try running one new opener with an old opener(assuming the bearings are good) to make an offset disc opener, poor mans no-till.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM