Aldeer.com

grasses outcompeting clovers

Posted By: SouthernRoots

grasses outcompeting clovers - 11/14/18 02:23 AM

some one give me a remedy for some volunteer grasses outcompeting my clover. Planted about an acre of WMS clover feast as a stand alone in one field and getting some germ but all underneath some volunteer grasses. When I first saw it I was thinking it was cereal rye that had seeded out from last season but upon further inspection I do not think it is anything that we have put in that field before. VERY thick and the deer are not touching it.

So what I have is an unidentified grass that needs to go. Whats gunna keep my clover alive and kill off the grass?

Or just let it go and let the clover take over in the spring?
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: grasses outcompeting clovers - 11/14/18 02:30 AM

So many variables. If it's a summer annual frost will kill it. But if it's awinter annual or perennial may need clethodim to knock grass out.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: grasses outcompeting clovers - 11/14/18 01:05 PM

Have ya'll not had a frost already? If not, you'll get one in the next day or two. If that doesn't kill it, I have no idea of what grass grows in the winter, that's not a cereal grain. Cleth should kill it.
Posted By: crocker

Re: grasses outcompeting clovers - 11/14/18 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by SouthernRoots
some one give me a remedy for some volunteer grasses outcompeting my clover. Planted about an acre of WMS clover feast as a stand alone in one field and getting some germ but all underneath some volunteer grasses. When I first saw it I was thinking it was cereal rye that had seeded out from last season but upon further inspection I do not think it is anything that we have put in that field before. VERY thick and the deer are not touching it.

So what I have is an unidentified grass that needs to go. Whats gunna keep my clover alive and kill off the grass?

Or just let it go and let the clover take over in the spring?

We have the same thing. started showing up last year. Not sure what it is but its real fine like rye
Posted By: centralala

Re: grasses outcompeting clovers - 11/14/18 11:47 PM

I think what I have is nutgrass. My biggest problem is that wild brassicas. It will be getting gly on our next warm snap. See if that works.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: grasses outcompeting clovers - 11/14/18 11:57 PM

Very high chance it's ryegrass. Ryegrass won't screen out at a seed plant when plot blends are being made. Not saying it's infested but a % will get by the screens. See it regularly.
Posted By: JohnG

Re: grasses outcompeting clovers - 11/16/18 12:34 PM

Wild ryegrass gave us fits for years in Marengo Co. We would break ground, then a couple weeks later a mat of green toothpicks would emerge. Then we would plant and shallow till the seed only to find more volunteer ryegrass mixed in with our grains and finally suppress most of what we planted but the plots looked pretty due to all the ryegeass. Told my problem to a couple local farmers and this is what I did for two years to get a handle on the stuff. We did a total gly burn down in early spring before it went to seed, then in the fall planted wheat only along with a broadleaf mix. Soon after planting, every thing had germinated, along with the ryegeass but not as bad due to spraying in the spring. A couple weeks later when it was warn and dry enough to drive over tilled ground( prairie dirt ) we sprayed Axial XL(Pinoxaden), a herbicide used to kill grasses in wheat. A couple years later we were back to a wheat,rye,oat mix along with our broadleafs.
Posted By: SouthernRoots

Re: grasses outcompeting clovers - 11/26/18 12:54 AM

appreciate the responses. I was really thinking of going with spraying it down this spring. I was just really concerned about the clover producing in the spring.
Its just very strange to me because its only occurring in a single part of the field. Literally only where we planted the stand alone clover. The biggest section of the field we planted in a triticale/ brassica blend and it has none of the stuff.
Next time im up there Ill take a pic of the stuff and see if some one can ID.
Posted By: centralala

Re: grasses outcompeting clovers - 11/26/18 01:40 AM

I just sprayed a clover field today with 2-4 DB for wild brassicas. May not work but that stuff has gotten out of hand. If it doesn't work I will just nuke that field for 2 years.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM