Aldeer.com

Beauty Berry

Posted By: Tigger85

Beauty Berry - 02/04/18 04:08 AM

This bush is supposed to be great for deer. I have a lot of it on a hunting area but I have never ever seen a deer eat any of this plant. Has anyone actually seen deer eat this and when?
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Beauty Berry - 02/04/18 04:13 AM

Deer have eaten French Mulberry everywhere I've hunted. Some folks say they don't eat it on their place, either.

Re: Beauty Berry - 02/04/18 04:21 AM

Beauty berry is not mulberry trees
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Beauty Berry - 02/04/18 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tigger85
Beauty berry is not mulberry trees

French mulberry is the same as American beautyberry.
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: Beauty Berry - 02/04/18 02:36 PM

I have seen them eat it....a lot!

I have watched them in cutovers walk up and nibble at all they could reach and then straddle the plant and walk 'over' it to bend it down and then eat off the tops.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Beauty Berry - 02/05/18 01:53 AM

As a Wildlife biologist I know what I’ve been told and read but I’ve never seen any evidence they even glance at it.

Re: Beauty Berry - 02/05/18 01:56 AM

I do recall seeing a little pressure on B.B. one time in a cutover with an extremely high deer density, but they were eating things they normally don’t eat.
Posted By: k bush

Re: Beauty Berry - 02/05/18 02:20 AM

I've seen some pretty good browsing on it, usually later in the year.
Posted By: Runningdeer

Re: Beauty Berry - 02/05/18 05:38 PM

I've seen the beauty berry bushes heavily cropped, and always assumed that it was deer that had eaten them.....can't say I've ever seen them eat it though. On another note, the leaves of the beauty berry bush are supposed to be a natural insect repellent. That's gotta be worth something, especially if you forget your thermacell.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/nat...ry-natural-insect-repellent-zmaz09amzraw
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Beauty Berry - 02/05/18 06:18 PM

I Am finding piles of poop loaded with these berries in a few areas I hunt.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Beauty Berry - 02/06/18 04:14 PM

I've never seen it browsed on our place, either.
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Beauty Berry - 02/06/18 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bustinbeards
I Am finding piles of poop loaded with these berries in a few areas I hunt.

When it was still alive this was the case for me too. Huge piles of poop loaded with beauty berry.
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Beauty Berry - 02/06/18 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mbrock
As a Wildlife biologist I know what I’ve been told and read but I’ve never seen any evidence they even glance at it.

Yes they do goober. Now, it's not what I would call a highly attractive plant for them. But, I have watched several eat ABB out in thinned/burned pine plantations.

Re: Beauty Berry - 02/07/18 02:27 AM

Just telling you what I’ve seen gooberette.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Beauty Berry - 02/07/18 03:51 AM

It is not deer ice cream like I’ve heard it called for dang sure.

Re: Beauty Berry - 02/07/18 03:51 AM

So do ya'll think they eat it when everything else is about gone, like birds and privet berries?
Posted By: CNC

Re: Beauty Berry - 02/07/18 01:45 PM

From what I’ve seen, deer will eat dang near anything……it’s just a matter of if they have to eat it or not. I’ve never seen them touch beauty berry here at my place but then again they have plenty to eat here for the amount of deer present.
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Beauty Berry - 02/07/18 03:25 PM

My Russell County place was slap covered up with it. It was so thick under the planted pines I had to bush hog shooting lanes in it just to be able to see deer in it. Never once have I seen a deer even nibble on it. Now that the place is clear cut, hopefully it will grow back quickly so the deer will have some cover whether they eat it or not. Place is as barren as the damn surface of the moon.
Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: Beauty Berry - 02/11/18 05:14 AM

Lots of it on my place in Baldwin Co. Never seen deer fool with it here, but my goats absolutely love it.
Posted By: ALFisher

Re: Beauty Berry - 02/14/18 05:43 PM

A deer is nothing but brown-haired, white-tailed goat. They eat it, depending on the availability of other browse
© 2024 ALDEER.COM