Aldeer.com

how early in the year do yall plant your winter food plots

Posted By: muddybucks

how early in the year do yall plant your winter food plots - 07/23/17 09:14 AM

grin
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: how early in the year do yall plant your winter food plots - 07/23/17 11:36 AM

Around Oct 1.
Posted By: CNC

Re: how early in the year do yall plant your winter food plots - 07/23/17 11:53 AM

Originally Posted By: timbercruiser
Around Oct 1.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: how early in the year do yall plant your winter food plots - 07/23/17 12:36 PM

2nd week of September
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: how early in the year do yall plant your winter food plots - 07/23/17 01:28 PM

Early to mid October depending on available moisture
Posted By: MCW

Re: how early in the year do yall plant your winter food plots - 07/23/17 02:55 PM

Mid to late October depending on weather. Located in SW Alabama.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: how early in the year do yall plant your winter food plots - 07/23/17 03:22 PM

I like to start in mid September and space them out until the first weekend of October. That gives me the chance for at least some of them to catch the rain and make.

But my place in Perry county is consistently the driest area of the state in the fall. Fronts from the NW tend to play out just before they get to me, and rains from the gulf seldom get that far north. Hence, my primary concern on deer plots is not temperature, or palatability, or army worms, but rain.

I've been planting the same fields since the mid 60s, and I've found we usually get a few decent rains in mid to late September, and I want seed in the ground when they come. If the plants come up, they can usually survive the drought that nearly always follows in October. Still, I like to spread them out in the hope that at least some of them will be decent.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: how early in the year do yall plant your winter food plots - 07/23/17 04:41 PM

I shoot for the 3rd week of September, I'm in Jackson Co. If I were farther South or a gun hunter only I'd wait a few weeks longer.
Posted By: centralala

Re: how early in the year do yall plant your winter food plots - 07/23/17 05:39 PM

Food plots to hunt over in the winter: April.

Clover and wheat: mid Oct.- Dec.
Posted By: catdoctor

Re: how early in the year do yall plant your winter food plots - 07/23/17 08:18 PM

October 22 to the first week in November.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: how early in the year do yall plant your winter food plots - 07/23/17 08:37 PM

2nd or 3rd week in September depending on rain
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: how early in the year do yall plant your winter food plots - 07/23/17 09:25 PM

I have 3 fields going in next week. Miller planted the week after, then cereal Rye and clover going in mid october.
Posted By: hunting13

Re: how early in the year do yall plant your winter food plots - 07/23/17 11:07 PM

mid october before a rain
Posted By: blumsden

Re: how early in the year do yall plant your winter food plots - 07/24/17 06:17 AM

I don't even consider planting until labor day or after. Its all about rain, not a date on the calendar. I like to have mine planted before October, because thats the driest month of the year, but last year it didn't start raining until late November.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: how early in the year do yall plant your winter food plots - 07/24/17 09:13 AM

I like August 13th.... shocked

last year I planted a couple of days before the first good rain in October, and had good plots.
Posted By: Turkeymaster

Re: how early in the year do yall plant your winter food plots - 07/24/17 10:17 AM

Ive kicked myself last two years for not planting the last weekend in september, last three years at my place have had good amounts of rain around that time. Last year evwen with the drought my neighbors planted theirs last weekend of sept and they all had food plots and we didnt until end of october.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: how early in the year do yall plant your winter food plots - 07/24/17 11:56 AM

Rain makes all the difference in the world. We plant about 90 food plots on 6 different tracts so we can't just pick a day. They started bush hogging plots about a week ago and will start cutting them up soon.
Posted By: Stickers

Re: how early in the year do yall plant your winter food plots - 07/24/17 06:45 PM

shoot for mid October, but try and time the rain
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: how early in the year do yall plant your winter food plots - 07/25/17 07:29 PM

Depends on weather and time to do it. October or November.
Posted By: Cdub

Re: how early in the year do yall plant your winter food plots - 07/25/17 07:40 PM

Like timber said I go by the weather first. After last year I'm going to plant when I see a crap ton of rain between the end of September into October.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: how early in the year do yall plant your winter food plots - 07/27/17 11:41 AM

Early to mid October. look for a period where you have 3-4 days in a 7 day period with 60% or better rain chance and roll the dice. We've planted as late as the second week in November before. Rain to get quick germination is the key otherwise youre just feeding the birds, turkey's and hogs.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM