Aldeer.com

ISO Quarter horse

Posted By: 4Him146

ISO Quarter horse - 04/09/24 08:24 PM

Long shot but I’m looking for a replacement cow horse. Middle aged gelding to work cows on, nothing too fancy. Budget is around $5,000. If you know of anyone please let me know.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: ISO Quarter horse - 04/09/24 08:59 PM

I know a guy. Hes in blount county. It would be a pretty good hike for you. This guy used to compete with cutting horses. I just messaged a friend of his, he said the guy probably has some for sale.

Re: ISO Quarter horse - 04/09/24 10:16 PM

I appreciate the info jwalker. You’re right, it may be too far of a haul but you can still let me know if he has any other details.

Re: ISO Quarter horse - 04/10/24 01:28 AM

Im working on it. I will get back to you
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: ISO Quarter horse - 04/10/24 01:59 AM

For a good horse there is no distance to far to travel.. glwy search

Re: ISO Quarter horse - 04/11/24 01:10 AM

Thanks guys for the help. Good cow horses are hard to find for an affordable price.
Posted By: capehorn24

Re: ISO Quarter horse - 04/11/24 02:45 AM

Will check with our farrier tomorrow, you are just looking for a 1/4 horse to work cows correct? No racking, roping horses.

Re: ISO Quarter horse - 04/11/24 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by capehorn24
Will check with our farrier tomorrow, you are just looking for a 1/4 horse to work cows correct? No racking, roping horses.

Correct, roping would but a plus but not necessary.

Re: ISO Quarter horse - 04/11/24 11:54 AM

I still havent heard back from the fella i called. If or when i do, ill let you know. Sorry its taking so long
Posted By: whack-n-stack

Re: ISO Quarter horse - 04/11/24 03:04 PM

Just wondering, but what does a quarter horse do that something like a tennessee walker wouldnt?
Posted By: twaldrop4

Re: ISO Quarter horse - 04/11/24 03:37 PM

From the little experience I have with the 2. A quarter horse especially what the op is looking for has been around cows. You could rope off of it, possibly cut cattle with it and it basically knows what you’re trying to do so you can concentrate on dealing with the cows versus guiding the horse. Most Tennessee Walkers are more of pleasure/ trail horses. I may be completely off base but that’s my understanding
Posted By: Brian_C

Re: ISO Quarter horse - 04/11/24 04:00 PM

PM sent
Posted By: Ryano

Re: ISO Quarter horse - 04/11/24 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by whack-n-stack
Just wondering, but what does a quarter horse do that something like a tennessee walker wouldnt?

The best way I know to explain it is that it would be like getting a piano player to line up with an NFL team or training a chihuahua to bay a hog. Natural ability and movement. Gaited horses, like the Tennessee walking horse, are known for the smooth ride due to the gait.

Re: ISO Quarter horse - 04/11/24 07:07 PM

We have had many quarter horses and walking horses over the yrs but I prefer a QH for cows. Walking horses are good for pleasure riding but still used for cows. The horse I would be replacing is a walking horse. Basically quarter horses are much quicker at short bursts, cutting cows and getting around them a good bit quicker. A walking horse will walk faster than a quarter horse and is a much smoother ride. Nothing against a walking horse but it takes longer for a walking horse to get full speed on cows that are taking off. A little trivia - that’s where quarter horses got their name- guys used to race them a quarter mile because they shine at bursts like that
Posted By: capehorn24

Re: ISO Quarter horse - 04/12/24 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by 4Him146
Originally Posted by capehorn24

Correct, roping would but a plus but not necessary.

My apologies, forgot but will check

Re: ISO Quarter horse - 04/13/24 02:12 AM

Thanks capehorn

Re: ISO Quarter horse - 04/13/24 12:27 PM

My friend just got back to me. No luck. But he did say theres a horse sale in Attala today and tomorrow. Should be 300-400 horses sold.
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: ISO Quarter horse - 04/13/24 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by jwalker77
My friend just got back to me. No luck. But he did say theres a horse sale in Attala today and tomorrow. Should be 300-400 horses sold.

Be careful at a public horse sale. Many of the horses have been injected to calm them down. When the sedatives wear off, you have a thousand pounds of fury to deal with! Horses are just like cows now, they are bringing a huge price!

Re: ISO Quarter horse - 04/13/24 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by jwalker77

I really appreciate the heads up on the sale.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM