Aldeer.com

Smell?

Posted By: jaredhunts

Smell? - 01/15/15 08:56 PM

Ever smelled the rutting buck in the field? Had one in the field yesterday and could smell him. It was faint but I could tell. Tonight while walking back to my truck, I caught that smell and stopped. Heard him cross the pavement and jump the fence. Have you ever smelled this from a live deer and how far can a deer sent travel?
Posted By: Oscarflytyer

Re: Smell? - 01/15/15 09:01 PM

yes. too thick in my woods to tell. But def smelled the scrapes, sometimes w/o even being able to find them. smells like a dang HS locker room on occassion
Posted By: Ryano

Re: Smell? - 01/15/15 09:01 PM

I have. In the club I was in several years ago you could go to a spot by a bluff and smell deer almost every time you were there. Crazy but it's the truth and other members noticed it and mentioned it also
Posted By: Gig

Re: Smell? - 01/15/15 09:05 PM

Yes. Tryin so hard not to derail this one.....
LOL

Re: Smell? - 01/15/15 09:09 PM

It could probably go arye. Also the doe in my field are arching their tales over their backs, are they releasing methane gasses?
Posted By: stuball

Re: Smell? - 01/15/15 09:12 PM

When I hunted at Campbell, I could smell them and tell my son that they were around and more times than not, we would see them.
Posted By: Reyn

Re: Smell? - 01/15/15 09:16 PM

Once, shot a buck and the second I hit the ground from the stand I could smell him where he had been standing.
Posted By: Gig

Re: Smell? - 01/15/15 09:25 PM

Ok before I start w the stupid jokes..
Smells like a wet goat.
Or...........?

Re: Smell? - 01/15/15 09:27 PM

Easy now, gonna get them goat humpers excited.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Smell? - 01/15/15 10:14 PM

It is a distinct aroma, probably because they have been pissing all down their back legs for a few weeks.
Posted By: OcToBeRDrEaMiN67

Re: Smell? - 01/15/15 10:14 PM

I shot one several years ago that was all rutted up.He didn't bleed a drop but I saw what direction he ran and all I had to do was follow my nose.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Smell? - 01/15/15 10:20 PM

Many times.
Posted By: mirage243

Re: Smell? - 01/15/15 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: jaredhunts
It could probably go arye. Also the doe in my field are arching their tales over their backs, are they releasing methane gasses?

Sorta like phuggin a fat girl and having her fart grin
Posted By: Reyn

Re: Smell? - 01/16/15 08:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Gig
Ok before I start w the stupid jokes..
Smells like a wet goat.
Or...........?

Tarsal glands.
Posted By: lukeparker22

Re: Smell? - 01/16/15 11:07 AM

yes!
Posted By: JBing

Re: Smell? - 01/18/15 11:27 AM

Originally Posted By: jaredhunts
Ever smelled the rutting buck in the field? Had one in the field yesterday and could smell him. It was faint but I could tell. Tonight while walking back to my truck, I caught that smell and stopped. Heard him cross the pavement and jump the fence. Have you ever smelled this from a live deer and how far can a deer sent travel?

I've been in the woods and all the sudden it smells like a barn, but I wasn't sure if it was me or not...
Posted By: notfromhere

Re: Smell? - 01/18/15 11:45 AM

a few weeks back I was in a tree when I got a whiff of a deer. I look to my right up wind and there was a doe. watched her a bit and then two more does came out. when the biggest one started to look like she was going to spook, I took her out.
Posted By: Skullworks

Re: Smell? - 01/18/15 02:27 PM

We used to do a lot of still hunting in thick terrain. Many times we would smell a "rutty" smell and shortly after we smelled it we would see or jump a buck.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM