Aldeer.com

Severe Winter this year

Posted By: AUstan23

Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 11:26 AM

I've been hearing a lot about this winter being extremely cold and snow more frequently across the south. Even this week it's supposed to get down in the 50s. Anyone else hearing the same?
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 11:37 AM

Yep. I've heard that, too.
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 11:51 AM

Nothing like pulling people out the ditch on Halloween because of all the snow.
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 12:12 PM

You may want to run this by "Bamaproud" on Tndeer. He used to be our resident meteorologist on here. He is usually right about the weather!
Posted By: croman69z28

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 01:04 PM

Noticed a hornets nest a few weeks back that was built right on the ground. Always heard that was a sign of a real cold winter.
Posted By: Turkey

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 01:10 PM

Global cooling.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 02:20 PM

Wooly worms everywhere too.
Posted By: Ian

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 03:02 PM

they've been saying that all summer
Posted By: BamaPlowboy

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 03:03 PM

Bring it on!

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 03:21 PM

Looks like I've got to move further south again. I hate snow and never want to see it again

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Ian
Looks like I've got to move further south again. I hate snow and never want to see it again

Haha. I think you'll be safe here. Next time I'll get you some better firewood.

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS

Haha. I think you'll be safe here. Next time I'll get you some better firewood.

I need a wood stove, 90% of the heat goes right up the chimney.
Posted By: huntbig

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 03:42 PM

I sure hope so
Posted By: bair

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 03:45 PM

work the damper or freeze

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 03:54 PM

Stupid question, if I were go to the public land would I be able to take a tree that is already fallen and cut it up and load it up?

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 03:57 PM

Stupid question, if I were go to the public land would I be able to take a tree that is already fallen and cut it up and load it up?

Call Jeff Makemson(sp?). He's over Oakmulgee WMA. I think they'll allow it, but always better to ask first.

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 04:01 PM

they hunt in central America too!
Posted By: centralala

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 04:02 PM

Winter weather? They can't get next week right. Don't think they will be very accurate 2-3 months out.

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 04:03 PM

Call Jeff Makemson(sp?). He's over Oakmulgee WMA. I think they'll allow it, but always better to ask first.

Another dumb question, is it easier to just replace the chainsaw chain than sharpen the old chain?

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 04:09 PM

Another dumb question, is it easier to just replace the chainsaw chain than sharpen the old chain?

Easier, yes. It'll be expensive to change the chain every time it gets dull. I always keep a spare chain. There are places that will sharpen it for you or you can get a file and do it yourself. If you need help with the latter, let me know. I'll help you if I can.
Posted By: Watchemflop

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 04:09 PM

Easier yes. Cheaper NO!
Posted By: .308

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 04:11 PM

Quote:

Ian, you might be better off to buy a propane tank & a space heater... grin

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 04:18 PM

or lots of hot pockets and hand warmers or a decent sleeping bag and use it correctly they do work...
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 04:33 PM

This past Wednesday the forecast for yesterday included a 70% chance of rain and a high in the mid 80's. There was no rain anywhere around yesterday and the high was about 74 degrees. I have never understood why people buy into long range forecasts when the weather guessers can't get the temps and precip right 3 days out.

Here's a couple of things certain about this winters weather. It will either be a colder than average winter or a warmer than average winter and the precipitation will either be below average or above average.

Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 05:23 PM

Partly sunny, chance of rain, if it gets below 32 the rain may turn to snow. That about covers it.

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 05:35 PM

If the Farmer's Almanac says it's gonna be cold and snowy, get your coats and boots ready.
Posted By: woodsrider

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 06:00 PM

El Nino is supposed to be back, so if it shows up it will at least be a wet winter
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 06:44 PM

You will have to get a firewood cutting permit from the forestry department in centerville. You are only allowed to cut trees that are dead and on the ground.

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Turkey_neck

You will have to get a firewood cutting permit from the forestry department in centerville. You are only allowed to cut trees that are dead and on the ground.

Fantastic! thanks

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: .308
Quote:

LOL... I've got a chainsaw and sharpened lawnmower blades just not a chainsaw chain. I want to work smarter not harder
Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: .308
Quote:

LOL... I've got a chainsaw and sharpened lawnmower blades just not a chainsaw chain. I want to work smarter not harder

Smarter would be to talk someone else into using their truck and saw to help you get a load of wood and then splitting 1/2 of it with you thumbup
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/14/14 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: AUstan23
I've been hearing a lot about this winter being extremely cold and snow more frequently across the south. Even this week it's supposed to get down in the 50s. Anyone else hearing the same?

slap
Posted By: Bankhead8

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/19/14 05:35 PM

Another dumb question, is it easier to just replace the chainsaw chain than sharpen the old chain? [/quote]

They make a chain sharpener that clamps on to the bar of your saw. You just set the file angle and hi every tooth with it. Only takes about 15 minutes and works great.

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/19/14 10:31 PM

In regards to chain saw blades:

Everybody that owns a chainsaw needs to own a dremel tool and chain saw sharpening attachment. I've seen quite a few people sharpen a chain and never knock down the depth gauges. Keep the depth gauges on each tooth filed down low enough and if you've got a safety chain throw it away and buy a hardwood chain.

I can sharpen a chain with my dremel tool and have it sharper than it came from the factory in about 5 minutes. One thing I learned quickly was to put bar oil on the sharpening stone bit and the stone will last 10 times longer.
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/19/14 10:55 PM

I use a file. im not into heating cutting edges with grinders, it probably works but I will stick with my file. don't take me but about 5 minutes to sharpen one with a file and I can do it in the woods.

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/19/14 10:56 PM

It doesn't heat up the tooth with bar oil on the grinding stone.
Posted By: Bucky205

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/20/14 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: woodsrider
El Nino is supposed to be back, so if it shows up it will at least be a wet winter

I read that as well, with a cold winter with higher than average snow fall for Alabama. It was in the long range forecast posted by NOAA. This summer felt a little cooler to me as well. Haven't seen any numbers. Just felt cooler.
Posted By: Bucky205

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/20/14 11:36 PM

I keep a round file in the truck with the saw. Ill slide it lightly through the notch after every couple of cuttings. Takes 5 mins and the chain last longer. It cost $16 to replace the chain on my Husqvarna at Tractor Supply.
Posted By: Lead Poison

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/21/14 04:19 AM

I just pray we get more snow like we did last year.

I loved hunting in the snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/21/14 08:43 AM

thumbup I love red snow!
Posted By: woodsrider

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/21/14 08:51 AM

With the exception of a few weeks, we got off pretty easy this summer. There were actually a few cool mornings in July this summer. That was a first for me, as I can't recall a cool morning on any summer day in my whole life.
Posted By: Cletus

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/21/14 09:01 AM

http://m.almanac.com/sites/new.almanac.com/files/postcard_us_weathermaps15_1-sided.pdf

I hope it is: cold, wet, and prolonged.

Re: Severe Winter this year - 09/21/14 10:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Cletus

thumbup As long as most of the wet isn't rain, bring it!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM