Aldeer.com

How much annual leave do you use deer hunting?

Posted By: Claims Rep.

How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 01:48 PM

I just planned out my calendar, and I've got 54 hours set aside so far for the upcoming season. But that is only through Jan. 2, and I know that I'll be taking some time in late January. Probably to the tune of another 27-30 hours. Of course that all depends on if the deer walk by my stand early in the season. What really helps my calendar is that every other weekend for me is a three day weekend.

Sure would be nice to be like Shaw (did I really just type that? crazy ) and have a gagillion days available and take off the entire month of November. grin

So how many days do you guys take off for hunting each season?
Posted By: Remington270

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 01:50 PM

Shoot, I don't ever take off to hunt. I work M-F and every other weekend. What's this leave thing you speak of?
Posted By: booner

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 01:59 PM

I take off the first week of rifle season. Come up the Friday before and stay til the following Sunday evening. Usually its only three days vacation along with the two holidays for Thanksgiving. If I shoot one early then I will just go home and hunt the holidays and weekend. I can't remember but one year I did not kill one by Thanksgiving. Don't want to bust two in November when the best is yet to come. I don't take any time off for the month of December and just hunt the weekends for some doe meat. In January, from the beginning til February 10 I will take as many days as needed to get a chance at filling my last two slots with a couple good bucks. I try to coordinate those days with what the deer are doing so I don't waste my vacation days. Usually I end up taking around 6-8 days off but I am off weekends too as well.
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 02:12 PM

None.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 02:21 PM

It all depends on if I have places to hunt. This year I will take 2 weeks off for Illinois and Kentucky, a week for Mississippi, and maybe 2 weeks for Alabama (if I ever find a place worth taking off for).
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 02:23 PM

I usually take the 2nd week off in January and hunt in Selma. Then a handful of days in the beginning of Feb. if bow season comes in during a weekday I'll take that day off depending on the weather. If it is 80 degrees, it's hard for me to want to go in the deer woods.
Posted By: wmd

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 02:31 PM

I take off when my son is out of school for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I miss the prime deer killing time, but it is worth it to be able to spend the time in the woods with my son.
Posted By: DeepSouthHunter

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 02:40 PM

Usually about 10 - 12 days total. I plan to be in the woods as many days as I possibly can during February based on what I saw this past season.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 02:48 PM

I usually take a shift or two for the Buckmasters Life Hunt in January.
Posted By: Big AL 76

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 02:53 PM

I started this year with like 180hrs or so...I'm down to 114hrs...I know for sure Thanksgiving and atleast a week if not longer for the Christmas shutdown.. the good thing is I get off at 2 and my lease is exactly 6 minutes from the back gate of the plant and 15 mins from the house
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 02:56 PM

10 days or so.
Posted By: LUMPY

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 03:15 PM

Just depends on how it's going and life...but I took 75 hr last deer season...that's about the norm I'd say...
Posted By: quailman

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 03:37 PM

I save mine all year just for hunting season. Probably take at least 30 days.
Posted By: shooters

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 04:11 PM

You mean people actually work during deer season?? grin Never meet a Brick mason,painter, or oil worker that did!
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 04:42 PM

3-4 weeks
Posted By: fr8-shkr

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 05:40 PM

7-10 days paired up with off days. Most of January gets sewed up. Last season I hunted one day before January 8th. Then it was waked open.
Posted By: TatSoul

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 05:56 PM

3 months,im out of here come 0ct 28 and ill be back feb 1 for tax season spenders.
Posted By: n2deer

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 06:09 PM

You mean people take off work to hunt deer.
Posted By: Fullthrottle

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 06:18 PM

3 or 4 just depends on the weather. May not take off any. I'm lucky enough to be 10 minutes from my stands so I get to hunt about every weekend wether it's deer or ducks
Posted By: hunterturf

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 06:25 PM

Id be fired if I worked for someone. Thank God im self employeed
Posted By: Shaw

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 06:38 PM

I get a total of 24 vacation days a year. 4 to 5 days of it are used for our summer shutdown. I use 15 days during bow season. When we did our vacation rounds this year I lucked up and got the first 3 weeks of November. I wasn't able to get the 3 days we have to work the week of Thanksgiving though. I'm off from Dec. 24 through Jan. 2 also, that's all paid holiday for us. grin

Since I've pretty well given up competitive archery, I'm not burning vacation days traveling to or preparing for tournaments anymore.

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 06:50 PM

I'm just glad I don't have to work Christmas this year. I'll probably hang over a few hours for some folks with kids, though.
Posted By: BamaGrad85

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 07:01 PM

It depends on how my season starts. I like to have at least 3-5 does on the ground before Christmas. I'm real picky about the antlered ones though. I I shoot one early in the season, my next one will be larger than the 1st. The same applies for the third one too. I'l shoot an old mature buck before I shoot a young in. They're harder to hunt.
Posted By: sj22

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 08:30 PM

Used to take about 3 weeks, not all at once until I started turkey hunting and now I'm just a casual weekend warrior for the deer, just not as exiting as turkey hunting IMO, but I sure used to get after them
Posted By: JD_Bowhunter1976

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 10:12 PM

140 hours vacation plus I work rotating shifts. My wife says I hunt to much! Read last years archery forum that's when my phone would work. Been doing the same thing every year since 1995. One summer vacation a year the rest is hunting vacation. She knew it before we got married.
Posted By: 3toe

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/21/14 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: n2deer
You mean people take off work to hunt deer.

I'd rather work.
Posted By: Geronimo

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/22/14 12:26 AM

30 - 35 days every year.
Posted By: gobblebox

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/22/14 01:32 AM

None
Posted By: Jus_me

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/22/14 05:03 AM

I work 12s so I already have 6-8 days off in a row. Normally I work 2 extra a week before Christmas then take off my last 2 days of every pattern during January. Only problem is were short staffed so pto is being denied-been trying to go catch a few fish. Hopefully by hunting season we will be staffed again and I can burn some of the 300 or so hours I have saved up.
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/22/14 05:59 AM

Originally Posted By: gobblebox
None

I have over 120 days I can take at my discretion and I plan on using these days to receive another year of retirement. I never take any time from work to hunt. I have always been fortunate enough to "get it done" on my off days and after school. I am fortunate I get to hunt close to the house so I have no travel time involved either.
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/22/14 06:34 AM

I have 186 hrsand I work 7on7off so it gives me a total of 5 week off straight. I will take most of January and the beginning of feb and stay at camp.
Posted By: hunterflyy

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/22/14 08:46 AM

I take the week after Christmas to hunt with the kids. Then the last 2 weeks of the season. Every other weekend in between.
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/22/14 03:47 PM

Not much, hogs get all of mine.
Posted By: GCC

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/22/14 04:44 PM

i work 1-2 days / week during deer season. Except opening week of bow season, muzzleloader and rifle season and two weeks during peak of the rut when i use my leave smile
Posted By: quailman

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/22/14 05:32 PM

When I retire, I will live at deer camp.
Posted By: bigt

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/22/14 05:51 PM

I usually take the last two weeks of the season off.
Posted By: YEKRUT

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/22/14 06:33 PM

I take 2 days off every 3 years when we get drawn for LBL to deer hunt and that is it. I usually take somewhere around 15-20 days during turkey season though. smile
Posted By: UARandy3

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/22/14 07:03 PM

I work 12 days on and 2 days off. This past season I took off days 11 and 12 of my stretch both times in January to get a 4 day weekend. That's all I was able to take off last season bc of work. Hunted almost all of the every-other-weekends I had off though.
Posted By: Tru-Talker

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/22/14 07:04 PM

10-12 days or so....
Posted By: James

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/23/14 02:13 AM

My step dad hates when deer season comes..Cause I'll take about 4 vacations rofl
Posted By: Standbanger

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/23/14 09:58 AM

I carry over 440 a year get another 208 middle of January I use a little during season

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/23/14 11:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Standbanger
I carry over 440 a year get another 208 middle of January I use a little during season
Theirs only 365 days in a year! grin
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/23/14 11:33 AM

Originally Posted By: shooters
Originally Posted By: Standbanger
Theirs only 365 days in a year! grin

I figure he's talking hours, which is still alot of time when you have that many!

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/23/14 11:59 AM

Your right. Im just messing with him. grin 648 hours= about 26 days. Thats pretty good.
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/23/14 12:11 PM

Your right. Im just messing with him. grin 648 hours= about 26 days. Thats pretty good.

Wouldn't that be 81 days?

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/23/14 12:12 PM

Most people only work 2000 hours a year if full time. That's a crapload of leave.

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/23/14 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: hunterbuck

Wouldn't that be 81 days?

648 hours would be 27 days off for me.
Posted By: Standbanger

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/23/14 01:08 PM

I work with people that don't have a single hour of leave of any kind. I have a years worth of sick leave yes over 2000 hours. I don't take a lot of leave because my son is in the military and is deployed a bunch. He got shot up in December 2007. I used leave then and that is why I save my leave now. I never know.
Posted By: BobF

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/23/14 02:51 PM

I have 6 weeks scheduled from August thru January for hunting...got about 247 days on the books.
Posted By: deerman24

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/23/14 06:18 PM

I am self employed so I take off the whole hunting season.
Posted By: SMB44

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/24/14 06:55 PM

Last year I took 32 I think. This year I have close to 40 days off scheduled until jan 31. We get 30 a year and we can carry over 80 i think. I have like 70 now and should still have about 30 after season is over.
Posted By: axle

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/24/14 07:02 PM

the whole month of January.
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 07/31/14 02:43 PM

I took around 80 hours last year
Posted By: NortonZ7

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 08/01/14 07:16 AM

80-100 hours
Posted By: doekiller

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 08/01/14 09:55 AM

I work for myself, so I don't get "time off". I just leave when I want to and go hunt.
Posted By: I_hate_poachers

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 08/01/14 01:10 PM

Probably only will have 20hrs paid vacation left by then, SO ill use every bit of it, And hunt before and after work also and every weekend except the week my new child is born in december. I hunt ALOT, even working full time, Ill hunt 25-30 hrs a week constantly all season long, rain, sleet, snow, dont matter

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 08/01/14 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: I_hate_poachers
Probably only will have 20hrs paid vacation left by then, SO ill use every bit of it, And hunt before and after work also and every weekend except the week my new child is born in december. I hunt ALOT, even working full time, Ill hunt 25-30 hrs a week constantly all season long, rain, sleet, snow, dont matter

You only missed one weekend of hunting after a new child? You're a braver man than I am! grin
Posted By: I_hate_poachers

Re: How much annual leave do you use deer hunting? - 08/01/14 01:50 PM

grin
Na I'll probably take 6-7days off and stay at home, this will be the first child I had that will be born in deer season, my other two were summer babies, so it worked out good. I'm glad he is coming in mid December and not January lol
© 2024 ALDEER.COM