Aldeer.com

Daikon Radishes

Posted By: Crgant7

Daikon Radishes - 10/06/13 05:37 PM

Was wondering where folks bought their daikon radishes, if they can be bought in 50 lb bags and generally how much they cost? CNC, I figure you ought to have good info about this
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Daikon Radishes - 10/06/13 05:39 PM

I always order mine but I found some at the coop recently. I've had really great luck with these over the past 3 years. The deer seem to really like both the radish and the greens. They bust up hard pan and what is not eaten rots and builds the soil.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Daikon Radishes - 10/06/13 05:43 PM

WMS sells them.

Re: Daikon Radishes - 10/06/13 05:44 PM

Thanks for the info, how much do they cost?
Posted By: oakachoy

Re: Daikon Radishes - 10/06/13 05:45 PM

b bought 2 small bags by biologic brand from Gander Mtn. 20 bucks a bag. bag says it would plant a 1/4 acre. I planted them like turnips Thursday.

Glad its raining today.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Daikon Radishes - 10/06/13 05:46 PM

Riverside Feed and Seed in Northport, AL has them by the pound. I don't know if you can buy them in a 50 lbs bag. I just bought a pound or two at a time. Approx. $4/lb.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Daikon Radishes - 10/06/13 06:11 PM

Farmer's Feed in Montgomery has them for $115.00 for a 50 lb bag. Generally 2-3 lbs per acre are added into a mix.
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Daikon Radishes - 10/06/13 07:59 PM

universal seed in Irondale .. $4 lb. I mix them in with some of my plots and they come up good.
Like purple tops the deer really don't seem to go for them like they do other things around here. I put them out anyway for the variety.
Posted By: Jpipererp

Re: Daikon Radishes - 10/06/13 08:05 PM

I get seed from springville. they had some a few weeks ago. seems to be one of the better places to buy seed for me. also, won't charge tax unless you buy a mix
Posted By: CNC

Re: Daikon Radishes - 10/06/13 08:12 PM

The main reason for planting diakon radishes is not about giving the deer something to eat even though they do eat it and we get benefit from it in that manner.....It's grown to feed the soil with organic matter as well as to help break up any hard pans and improve water infiltration deeper into the soil profile. They till the soil for us and its why they call them tillage radishes. The radishes ability to do all of this down to a depth of 4ft is also what people like about them. The whole purpose of using diakon radishes is to use them as part of a cover crop system for improving your soil and soil function.

Re: Daikon Radishes - 10/06/13 09:20 PM

CNC, Like you said, the reason I am interested in the daikon is to help the soil. I have some spots I hunt that r higher limestone hilltops with alkaline soil that are very rocky. Hopefully the daikon can help

Re: Daikon Radishes - 10/06/13 09:22 PM

Thanks for everyone's response!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM