Aldeer.com

Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma

Posted By: bowtarist

Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 12:04 PM

I was looking thru the wma seasons booklet online and it has James d broken into two different zones. Zone A has a 4 on one side restriction. Do any of y'all know which is zone a or b? I can't find anything about it.
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 12:42 PM

Can you post a link to the online URL? All I can find is the 2012 PDF

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 12:48 PM

Never mind ... Never mind, I found it ...

I see no documentation anywhere in that document about zones A or B in Skyline
Posted By: Hoss606

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 12:59 PM

i don't see it either

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 01:03 PM

ah now i see it

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 01:12 PM

i believe the new wma maps will have them labeled. i just looked up the maps and the site said they were not avalible at this time.
Posted By: doc bar

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 03:14 PM

Had a guy that knows the bio up there tell me the other day he thought it was gonna be walls of jerico, new part (around old b and g) and maybe behind shooting range.But that is just what i heard and u know how that goes.

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 03:22 PM

Well if that's true then my first buck (ever) is gonna be a minimum 8 point smile
Posted By: Clem

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 03:35 PM

When was this announced, or decided?
Posted By: wmd

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Clem

Probably at the 3rd (or 4th) CAB meeting this year. grin
Posted By: I_hate_poachers

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: PLeopard
Well if that's true then my first buck (ever) is gonna be a minimum 8 point smile

Or a unique 5, 6, or 7 point buck. 4 on one side is all you need more than likely, check your wma permit when the new ones come out to be sure.

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 05:43 PM

I'm glad they did that myself. Now if you just want to shoot a deer go to zone b and if you want to be conservative go to zone a. Its got something for every one.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 05:52 PM

Is the property that FW bought on Jacob's mountain gonna be opening for sure this season, and if so, will it be walk-in only?
Posted By: I_hate_poachers

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 06:02 PM

I looked over the link. It looks like jacobs will be a part of it. All im goin off of though is the acre amount. Its over 60k now, just james d martin. And last year it was high 40's.

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 08:19 PM

From what the GW told me last year, as soon as the state signs on the dotted line, we can hunt it.

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 08:20 PM

and IHP is right. Last year James D was in the high 40's now its listed as a fuzz over 60k.

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 08:43 PM

What about access? Will people be able to ride 4 wheelers all over the place or what about to retrieve deer?

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: bill_collector
From what the GW told me last year, as soon as the state signs on the dotted line, we can hunt it.

And he told you wrong, but I don't know about this year.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 08:59 PM

Im guessing but I say they will use 79 to divide it.

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: ridgestalker
Im guessing but I say they will use 79 to divide it.

I heard that as a possibility back in March
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 09:08 PM

I'm glad they did that myself. Now if you just want to shoot a deer go to zone b and if you want to be conservative go to zone a. Its got something for every one.

On the other WMA's that are split into zones, they normally alternate hunts. So if they are hunting zone A, then zone B will probably be closed. I dont know if you can even bowhunt the other zone on these days. Good and Bad.

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 09:18 PM

According to that document, Dec13-15 and Dec27-29 are swapped like that here between A and B, the other hunts are all concurrent

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 10:12 PM

I wish they would do the whole place myself like Barbour.I'd hate to see the daily permit like down there but other than that I like it.
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 10:16 PM

I wish they would do the whole place myself like Barbour.I'd hate to see the daily permit like down there but other than that I like it.

^^^ This!!!

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 11:15 PM

Isn't the WMA supervisor at Skyline now the same one who was at Barbour when it went under the antler requirement?
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/29/13 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: wmd

Probably at the 3rd (or 4th) CAB meeting this year. grin

grin

Off Topic

Missouri Conservation Commission (same thing as CAB) has an average of nine meeting per year throughout the State. I like it like that because it gives more public relations with our Conservation Dept throughout the State.
Posted By: CD

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/30/13 06:39 AM

Isn't the WMA supervisor at Skyline now the same one who was at Barbour when it went under the antler requirement?

Yep.

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/30/13 07:06 AM

Quote:
Missouri Conservation Commission (same thing as CAB) has an average of nine meeting per year throughout the State. I like it like that because it gives more public relations with our Conservation Dept throughout the State.

Several states have more than two or three meetings crammed into one part of the year, in order to talk more with the public and hear what they say. Some actually publish a real agenda for the meetings before the meetings, too, so the public will have an idea of what's going to be discussed.
Posted By: DaffyDucksWorstNightmare

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/30/13 09:56 AM

Originally Posted By: foldemup

What about access? Will people be able to ride 4 wheelers all over the place or what about to retrieve deer?

You have to walk and drag your deer out. If I hear you shoot I "MIGHT" come help.

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/30/13 10:01 AM

The policy for Walls of Jericho in the past is that ATVs are allowed solely for the purpose of retrieving a deer

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/30/13 10:23 AM

Originally Posted By: DaffyDucksWorstNightmare

You have to walk and drag your deer out. If I hear you shoot I "MIGHT" come help.

If not, I will just cape it out and walk out with the head. grin

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/30/13 10:25 AM

That would be cool until the warden confronted you with the new rule about leaving animal remains in the WMA smile
Posted By: truedouble

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/30/13 04:54 PM

According to that document, Dec13-15 and Dec27-29 are swapped like that here between A and B, the other hunts are all concurrent

Being that Dec. 27-29 are usually during or very close to the peak of the chasing phase which ever zone allows a hunt on those days is going to see a lot of pressure.

I'm very glad to see them go to a 4 on one side rule.
Posted By: DaffyDucksWorstNightmare

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/31/13 08:48 AM

Originally Posted By: DaffyDucksWorstNightmare

If not, I will just cape it out and walk out with the head. grin

Hopefully in the next week or so I am going to get some corn and camera up back there in our little secret spot and see what's creeping around.

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/31/13 09:03 AM

Originally Posted By: truedouble
Being that Dec. 27-29 are usually during or very close to the peak of the chasing phase which ever zone allows a hunt on those days is going to see a lot of pressure

That would be Zone B ... According to the theory that A is left of 79 and B is right that would mean that Jericho would be off limits during that period ... Sucks because that's where I've been planning to hunt

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/31/13 09:09 AM

Being that Dec. 27-29 are usually during or very close to the peak of the chasing phase which ever zone allows a hunt on those days is going to see a lot of pressure

That would be Zone B ... According to the theory that A is left of 79 and B is right that would mean that Jericho would be off limits during that period ... Sucks because that's where I've been planning to hunt

It's 60k acres. I wouldn't get hung up on a spot, a section, or zone, yet, especially if you haven't hunted it before.

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/31/13 09:34 AM

I would agree with that. Very good bucks are taken all over Jackson Co., so should be same for the management area.

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/31/13 09:38 AM

I've been scouting a section that is hundred acres or a little more (maybe a few hundred, not sure) for the past several months ... I suppose I should branch out and cover areas in both zones
Posted By: Blackhawk

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/31/13 04:13 PM

ONLY PLACE I HUNTED THERE WAS BEAR DEN POINT ROAD. I LIKED IT.

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/31/13 04:18 PM

I've been considering scouting Bear Den. I got some suggestions on this forum about that area, that and Little Coon ... If 79 splits the zones then that would be the 'other' zone relative to what I've been scouting
Posted By: Blackhawk

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/31/13 05:43 PM

Paul i downloaded the map you spoke of the Bear den point rd walk a long ways you will come to a saddle that has white oaks on it, there is deer there, cause they are like us humans " lazy" they take the path of least resistance. plus i hunt edges, like bass fishing they are on the edge.

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/31/13 06:01 PM

Down the mountain from Bear Den?
Posted By: CD

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/31/13 08:12 PM

I whacked a few in that saddle over the years. On down by the airplane was always a good spot too. I havent been there in years. CD.

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/31/13 08:14 PM

Airplane?
Posted By: NickA

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/31/13 08:42 PM

Not much of the airplane is left. Pieces of it made for nice souvenirs over the years. It crashed there on Pruett ridge many years ago.
Posted By: doc bar

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/31/13 09:12 PM

Planes on the end of Pruitt ridge go to south end of bear den point at big saddle head south on Pruitt to south end or u can drive close to it from south end on 4 wheeler only thing about skyline is u better have a couple places in reserve there is no rhyme or reason to we're people hunt I have been on bear den by myself and pulled up there were the pull of is at start of clear cut and see 10 trucks with trailers. Also some good advice put a big log chain under your truck seat for jacka-- . I went back to old corn field parking area one morning in about 6 inch snow when I got to truck there was two idiots stuck sideways in road in two wheel drive 4 door pickups. If I didn't have a chain it would have been along walk to get somebody to come pull them out.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 07/31/13 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: CD
I whacked a few in that saddle over the years. On down by the airplane was always a good spot too. I havent been there in years. CD.

Killed my first buck below where the plane is, way before the plane crash happened.

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 08/13/13 01:36 PM

Skyline Zones are published now, click here (PDF)

Zone A is the area south of Hytop and west of 79, Zone B is all else INCLUDING Jericho

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 08/13/13 01:41 PM

Looks like we got the first 2 weeks of turkey season back.
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 08/13/13 03:28 PM

Looks like we got the first 2 weeks of turkey season back.
That's a misprint. Frank Allen told me he is gonna get that fixed.

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 08/13/13 05:33 PM

Zone A is the area south of Hytop and west of 79, Zone B is all else INCLUDING Jericho

I was hoping for the opposite, but oh well. Maybe they will have success from the 4 point rule and implement in Zone B in a few years.

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 08/13/13 07:14 PM

Jugheads right about the misprint on the turkey date. Yall find some wheres else to go.

It also looks like all the gun hunts are doe hunts and we don't have to have a stupid permit no more. Long as you have the map your good to go.

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 08/13/13 09:15 PM

I was hoping for the opposite, but oh well. Maybe they will have success from the 4 point rule and implement in Zone B in a few years.

No way it was gonna go opposite...but would be nice if they implemented it on both zones one day soon.
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 08/14/13 10:07 AM

Jugheads right about the misprint on the turkey date. Yall find some wheres else to go.
I'm serious about what Frank Allen said. frown
Posted By: Standbanger

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 08/14/13 10:22 AM

Is this land marked with signs (management area)

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 09/08/13 10:45 AM

Zone A is basically the area south of Hytop Cemetery and west of 79

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 09/08/13 03:48 PM

Zone schedules are not all that different for A & B ...

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 09/08/13 05:59 PM

Zone A being closed on 12-27 thru 12-29 is big in my opinion. Don't hunt either but a lot of big bucks chasing does right after Christmas in that area.

Re: Zone A and B of the James D Martin wma - 09/08/13 06:02 PM

Well I guess I need to find an area in Zone A and start scouting it now. I'm good to go with Zone B ... Would be nice to be able to hunt Dec13-15
© 2024 ALDEER.COM