Aldeer.com

If you could describe....

Posted By: countryjwh

If you could describe.... - 01/30/13 09:50 PM

Your season in a phrase, what would it be?

Mine would be, " close, but no cigar.".

I had one of the best seasons ever as a still hunter. I never picked up my rifle and enjoyed every bit of it. I set out at the beginning of the year to kill a deer I missed last year. I saw him 5 times, drew on him twice but never shot. It was a step here or there that stopped me from shooting. He was later shot in the neck to never be saw again. I had my chances and should have sealed the deal. I also killed a decent six. I had the opportunity to kill a very good seven that came out when it was blowing 20 that after noon. Had him at 50 yards but the tree was swaying too bad to shoot. Of he would have been 20 it would have been no question about shooting. At the end of the season I had a great 8 come out to my grunting and grazed his back at 30 yards. I have seen probably 25 different bucks with most being spikes to four points. Next year I hope to learn from my small mistakes and capitalize. I could have been limited out in the middle of December and would have been satisfied with the deer I should have got. Maybe next year I can get a camera and get some footage. Thanks for reading.
Posted By: hunterturf

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/30/13 09:53 PM

Disappointing.......New lease that didn't produce like we thought it would. Had fun though and killed some deer at some small places around the house. Not near how we had planned it but learned a lot about leasing from big timber companies......
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/30/13 10:07 PM

Confusing. The rut seem to start very early for us this year. Killed some decent bucks but no encounters with anything special.I never even got a picture of a real good un.Tons of acorns seem to hurt daytime movement.
Posted By: quailman

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/30/13 10:13 PM

Loggers all season.
Posted By: slayinbucks24/7

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/30/13 10:16 PM

HOT!!! As in weather.. not a good season for seeing good bucks.. saw plenty of good 2/3 yr olds but very few mature ones.. only actually saw 1 "stud" and i missed him with my muzzleloader tryin to shoot through brush... but it aint over til the fat lady sings
Posted By: longspur69

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/30/13 10:30 PM

Blessed. Last year was the first year in the last several where I got to hunt more than a couple of weekends. This year I got to go even more. That alone made it a great season.

I usually get great joy out of seeing young bucks and letting them walk. This year it just didn't happen. My 11 year old hunted most of the season without seeing much of anything, so I was more than happy to let him squeeze off on a young 6 point two weeks ago. We hunted a few more times with no luck, so again, I didn't mind him shooting a young 8 point. If I don't ever see another mature buck again, it will be worth the joy that he got out of shooting those deer. My nephew killed his first deer, a doe, as well as a spike later in the season. I was fortunate enough to be able to share those moments, too. So, although we saw very few deer this year on several tracts that are loaded with them, I still feel blessed to have had the opportunity to be in the woods that much with my family.

I know the day is coming when our great sport will be either a rich man only thing, or maybe even banned altogether - ignorant people are reproducing at an alarming rate. So, we need to enjoy every minute out there that we can.
Posted By: Clem

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/30/13 10:41 PM

Had a great season.

Our son decided he was interested in hunting and we've gone a few times, and are making plans for the off-season and next season.

Also killed a deer on opening day in Florida's Zone A bow season.

Hoping to go for a few hours tomorrow.
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/30/13 11:06 PM

Best season is probably 5 or 6 years!

Saw lots of deer and experienced some really strong rutting activity!
Posted By: Bigbuck45

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/30/13 11:12 PM

Best season so far (only been hunting for 3). Killed my first buck this year! Hopefully many more to come.
Posted By: TallCoHunter

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/30/13 11:12 PM

Thankful for the days.... Had the best year i have ever had and haven't killed a deer since early November. I have always enjoyed the outdoors and am not one who had to kill deer to have a good time. Started out the year killing a few does with my bow. I was seeing plenty of does and young bucks just waiting for December for rut to bring out the big boys. Early December my 19 yr old son was in a very bad car wreck, and spent several days at UAB, then home to a hospital bed and a wheelchair, where he remains at this time. As you would expect, there was no hunting for the rest of December, but by mid January we were able to take him out in his wheelchair. He was not able to turn and look around, just sit and watch in front of him. We managed to get him out to the lease twice. No it's not a fairy tale ending where he killed a huge buck. In fact during those two hunts he never seen a deer, despite two does crossing the road about 40 yards from him on his off side. Realizing how close we were to not having him at all, helped me enjoy the outdoors and time i had to sit with him more than ever before. There will be more sunrises to see and more deer to chase, together next year.
Posted By: Stob

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/30/13 11:31 PM

what season?
Posted By: BOFF

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/30/13 11:41 PM

"It ain't over yet"

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: sbo1971

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/30/13 11:49 PM

good season, learned alot, now looking forward to applying that knowledge next season.
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: hunterturf
Disappointing.......New lease that didn't produce like we thought it would. Had fun though and killed some deer at some small places around the house. Not near how we had planned it but learned a lot about leasing from big timber companies......

And now Seth tells me who you are! smile

Haven't seen you in a while.
Sorry your Season turned out so bad!!!
Posted By: shootnmiss

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 12:21 AM

BEST EVER!!! GOT MY BIGGEST BUCK AND MY 7 YEAR OLD SON GOT HIS FIRST. HIS DOE IS A BETTER TROPHY THAN MY BUCK BY FAR!!
Posted By: kkeith1957

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 12:38 AM

Good season 2 eights and a nine and some great looking ones left walking around.
Posted By: Rip50

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 12:50 AM

Highest of high's and lowest of low's.Killed some good ones this year with a gun.But I also lost a good one with my long bow.And ashamed as I am to admit it.I lost him twice.
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 01:12 AM

Very unusual.
Posted By: rglock35

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 01:18 AM

I guess my phrase is "wet and dark," As in I got my butt rain soaked repeatedly and the deer in the areas I hunted did most of their moving after dark.

It was still deer hunting and I still loved it. Got enough meat to last until next season and some new horns for the horn wall. Man I love it.
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 01:22 AM

Horrible!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 01:39 AM

One word, "Humbling".
Posted By: doecommander

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 01:46 AM

Slow. Very little movement late in season.
Posted By: rackaddict

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 02:13 AM

Blessed.

Out of the 8 deer taken on our property, 4 were taken by my boys and me.
God saw fit to make this the most memorable season. Time with my kids, talking, learning, laughing. A first buck and a biggest buck. Thank you God for keeping us safe and the family you have blessed me with.
Posted By: BrentM

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 02:25 AM

"82 days closer to turkey season than when it started"........ Therefore, a productive season.
Posted By: bebo33

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 02:26 AM

Quantity not Quality. I saw A LOT of deer, but not very many bucks. The bucks I did see were few, far off, and small. On a positive note I actually hunted more than a handful of times. I actually took off work (which those that know me KNOW I don't miss work).
Posted By: Andrew Morton

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 02:27 AM

frustrating...nuff said
Posted By: leroycnbucks

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 02:27 AM

No kills but very fortunate to have spent so much time in the deer woods with family and friends. Looking forward to next year.
Posted By: bill

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 02:36 AM

Exhausting. I decided I was going to really try and kill another mature buck this season after pretty much taking the last 4 years off. I hunted really hard from Christmas till yesterday and just couldn't get it done which was a first , for me. I had good bucks at 50-80 yards 3 times in the last week and never even came close to getting a shot. I had fun anyway and thank God I had the chance to really hunt again.
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 02:52 AM

good meat wise but pretty bad horn wise. i killed 4 does and a large 5 point(5 point was on a property where i have been instructed to kill every deer i see) saw tons of does at my new club, i killed 4 of em and another members son killed 2 but despite my begging, no one else would kill any does or just didnt hunt enough to see any. as far as bucks the only confirmed bucks i saw were a spike i let walk at 20 yds while bowhunting and a nice shooter i couldnt shoot because he was 500 yds away and the wind was blowing my tree around so bad.
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 02:53 AM

good meat wise but pretty bad horn wise. i killed 4 does and a large 5 point(5 point was on a property where i have been instructed to kill every deer i see) saw tons of does at my new club, i killed 4 of em and another members son killed 2 but despite my begging, no one else would kill any does or just didnt hunt enough to see any. as far as bucks the only confirmed bucks i saw on the club were a spike i let walk at 20 yds while bowhunting and a nice shooter i couldnt shoot because he was 500 yds away and the wind was blowing my tree around so bad.
Posted By: wmd

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 03:44 AM

The best ever.

My son killed 3, his most ever, and I got my first bow kill in 10 years.

But there were a lot of frustrating times this year interspersed between kills.

Posted By: winstonbucks1

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 06:50 AM

Didn't know what I had until I lost it. Saw great deer and kept waiting on big boy until they all went on lock down. Learned don't skip bow season next season and get my deer for meat early.
Posted By: permafever

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 10:22 AM

Not over til dark! Hopefully the ol 30-06 will bark one more time before i clean her and put her up for the year.
Posted By: MarkBAMA

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 02:27 PM

Memorable.

On so many levels.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 02:53 PM

"Just right", not too hot not too cold.

My son and I killed 2 mature bucks each, ranging from 126" to 147" and a truck load of does. smile
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 03:05 PM

Decent time filler until turkey season gets here.
Posted By: Deer Crossing

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 03:18 PM

It was a good season. I'm truly blessed.
Posted By: hilltop

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 06:52 PM

Worst i've had in 20 years. So i guess you could say it sukked.
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 07:02 PM

Too much rain, too few bucks.

Floded timber is nice, but I wasn't hunting ducks. I saw a lot of spikes and zero mature bucks. (Hey that rhymes. Maybe I need to write a song about it ) laugh
Posted By: abolt300

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 07:05 PM

Horrible. Worst season ever. Deer just did not move for us this year. Zero mature bucks this year and historically, we average 5-6/yr on this property. In the past 7 hunts I have seen a grand total of 3 deer.
Posted By: hosscat

Re: If you could describe.... - 01/31/13 07:15 PM

Not great but decent. Bow season was ok, but I didn't see as many deer as in the past, I ditn't see any mature pucks and only saw 1 3yo, They seemed to get nocturnal earlier than in the past. I was only able to hunt 1 morning but several afternoons.

Gun season started out typical but the deer seemed to get nocturnal after the first week. I didn't hunt but 2 times from Dec. 5th til Jan 12th. January has sucked big time compared to the past. Maybe a few does have come in early, but as a whole the rut has not happened at my house. I did see more spikes this year than I have ever seen.
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: If you could describe.... - 02/02/13 02:46 AM

So very close... but no cigar.
Posted By: junglemedic

Re: If you could describe.... - 02/02/13 05:46 AM

Blessed because I got to spend more time teaching my boys about hunting, respecting the animals and enjoying Gods beautiful creations. Ended up with me killing 1 buck and 3 does the oldest son 14 killed on buck and 2 does and my 10 year old killed one doe. Was able to fill the freezer and give some meat to so some needy famlies.
Posted By: Jclemons

Re: If you could describe.... - 02/02/13 06:03 AM

Terrible deer season for me (down 2) but a great coyote (killed 4 and missed 1) Maybe i saved some youngins this year..
Posted By: Hoss606

Re: If you could describe.... - 02/02/13 11:55 AM

Awesome, will be hard to top this season.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM