Aldeer.com

Coyote hunting

Posted By: BPS

Coyote hunting - 01/12/13 01:42 PM

Is there anyone on here that is really good at huntin coyotes in ALABAMA? I believe we have a terrible yote problem at my club. We have killed about 10 this year but have seen many more that we couldn't get shots on. I plan on giving it a shot this year before turkey season and hope to be effective. I've tried it before with mouth calls but have never had any kind of luck. I'm self taught turkey hunter and made slot of mistakes before ever killing one. The difference Is a turkey will (sometimes) vocally Respond and guve location you something to work with. The times I've tried it on coyotes I gotten nothing and feel like I've wasted my time. Is it worth spending the big $ on buying an electronic call in order to be effective. Tips please.
Posted By: BuckDuster

Re: Coyote hunting - 01/12/13 04:15 PM

I used to be a hardcore yote hunter. From my experience if your trying to get rid of them you'll be better off finding an experienced trapper. In a hunting scenario the coyote will win most of the time. As far as hunting for sport, a shotgun with buckshot watching up wind, a rifle watching down wind, some rabbit squeals and completely motionless, totally camouflaged sitting and watching. I liked mouth calls. I wanted to be light weight and fast. Plus if your hunting in summer and early fall the less gear the better (HOT). Killed most with rabbit squeals. Learning how and when to howl and striking up a conversation with a yote is awesome.
Posted By: Jpipererp

Re: Coyote hunting - 01/12/13 04:35 PM

most people start out with a mouth call or two. howlers, KI-YIs, and cottontale distress. you have to know when to call and how much. ample knowledge on the internet for someone starting up. most predator call makers are gearing up since most people start calling for predators when deer season is up. you will find a price point that fits you. also, Foxpro has a forum you can get on to ask the pros questions.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Coyote hunting - 01/12/13 05:26 PM

Duckbuster's right about the trapper, if you want to have year-round effectiveness from a management standpoint for your wildlife.

Alabama Trappers Association - http://www.atpca.org/
Posted By: BPS

Re: Coyote hunting - 01/12/13 09:07 PM

Thanks guys
© 2024 ALDEER.COM