Aldeer.com

Frying Backstrap?

Posted By: ShootemupTex

Frying Backstrap? - 02/22/24 07:32 PM

So I just attempted to fry the backstrap for the second time. Biggest problem I have is what ever I use to bread (panko, flour, etc,) doesn't stick well as the cooking process moves along and I need to flip. Basically, I end up pan-frying the nake strap with all the breading crumbling up in the pan. What's the secret?
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/22/24 07:43 PM

Oil is not hot enough and you need to use something to make the breading stick. Mustard or egg wash works great. I just use the mustard.
Posted By: Snuffy

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/22/24 07:57 PM

I don’t use breading. I fry it in butter till it’s a little less than medium. It’s out of this world.
Posted By: kyles

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/22/24 08:01 PM

You want to put it in there hot as marshmud said. Then don’t ever flip it till it’s brown kind of tilt your spatula a little metal preferably and work it under . If it comes apart you ain’t hot enough or flipping it to quick. And don’t overcook it or slice it to thick

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/22/24 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Snuffy
I don’t use breading. I fry it in butter till it’s a little less than medium. It’s out of this world.

I like it that way too. Maybe throw on a few bell peppers and onions
Posted By: Semo

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/22/24 08:52 PM

If you pound it out and dip it in an egg/beer wash and coat it with a seasoned flour or chicken coating you'll be happy.

Venison Schnitzel served with some pickled red cabbage, fried potatoes, and spaetzle. I might have to thaw some meat out.
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/22/24 09:05 PM

Egg wash
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/22/24 09:51 PM

I slice mine thin 1/4” or so and soak in milk for 20-30 minutes. Remove and drop in zatarans or seasoned flour and drop in a deep fryer. Way easier.
Posted By: ShootemupTex

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/22/24 09:55 PM

Thanks, the oil temp is definitely part of the problem. I like the other ideas too,
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/22/24 11:05 PM

I’ve fried everything from cubed steak to thick cut tenderloins and have never used a wash or had trouble with the flour coming off when frying. I wait until my grease is hot enough to start frying and I turn mine with a fork.
Posted By: 000buck

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/22/24 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
I’ve fried everything from cubed steak to thick cut tenderloins and have never used a wash or had trouble with the flour coming off when frying. I wait until my grease is hot enough to start frying and I turn mine with a fork.

X2
Posted By: Razorsharp123

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/23/24 12:09 AM

Flour then egg then flour. Pretty universal step in preparation of things that are to be fried.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/23/24 12:17 AM

Egg blended in some milk to dip the medallions in before throwing them in a bag of all purpose flour.
Posted By: fladeerhntr

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/23/24 01:11 AM

I've never used any kind of wash or had trouble getting my flour to stick. All I do is marinade it in either Dale's or w-sauce for about 30 minutes and take it straight out of the marinade and toss it in flour and drop it in the grease for about 2-3 minutes and take it out. Forgot to mention I lay it out and cut it about 3/8 of an inch thick.
Posted By: JohnG

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/23/24 01:51 AM

Do above, put on wax paper on cookie sheet then place in freezer for thirty minutes. You ever seen a frozen battered meat or French fry item say thaw before frying? Google top secret recipes, Shoney’s country fried steak for the perfect blackstrap recipe

Posted By: Buckshot77

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/23/24 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by fladeerhntr
I've never used any kind of wash or had trouble getting my flour to stick. All I do is marinade it in either Dale's or w-sauce for about 30 minutes and take it straight out of the marinade and toss it in flour and drop it in the grease for about 2-3 minutes and take it out. Forgot to mention I lay it out and cut it about 3/8 of an inch thick.

Ditto.

I cut mine thick, pound it with a hammer, salt pepper garlic, flour and fry. Flip it with a fork when the blood just starts to come up. Me careful not to over cook.
Posted By: Pwyse

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/23/24 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by fladeerhntr

I think you just use a marinade wash 😂
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/23/24 02:49 AM

Durn boy…dunkit in a egg
Posted By: Shotts

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/23/24 03:23 AM

Kentucky legend season flour 1 box
1 teaspoon of creole seasoning
1/2 teaspoon of garlic
Mix throughly

Place tenderloin in buttermilk for 8-12 hours

Heat oil to 350F in a black skillet to come atleast half way up on the tenderloin it’s better if it doesn’t completely cover.

Fork tenderloin and hang to let buttermilk drain I drag mine up
The side of the bowel to reduce how wet it is lay flat in seasons flour
Cover and press hard to coat
Set aside until the batter starts wicking through 2-3 minutes then batter again.

Carefully lay into hot oil let it cook until 1/2 way done the goal is to turn once.

This works the best at keeping the batter stuck for me. Also, cutting larger tenderloin like pork loins in half seems to help the batter stay on the round verses oval shape helps. Also the tenderized pork cutlets are awesome to fry
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/23/24 03:30 AM

Egg wash or buttermilk - buttermilk actually helps tenderize too and is my go to on fried. Be sure to season flour - greese hot
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/23/24 07:17 AM

If y’all never tried it fried with the seasoned Louisiana Fish Fry, y’all need to. It takes it to a whole new level. Just be careful not to over season the backstrap. The mix has plenty of salt in it.
Posted By: billrv

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/23/24 01:05 PM

Marinate in Dales and Buttermilk for a few hours take out drop in flour and fry hard to beat "scabs"
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/23/24 01:23 PM

Warm up the oil to where that stuff sizzles and turns brown within 2.5 minutes of sitting on one side. Flip it, brown that side and eat it as soon as your tongue can handle it. I either marinade in 1 part buttermilk to 1 part low sodium dales for 24 hours, batter in flour and fry, or mix in several tablespoons of crackergirl original spicey seasoning with my flour and fry. Never had an issue with the batter not sticking. Don’t overcook it. You want it in and out if that oil as quickly as possible to leave the middle no more done than medium.

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/23/24 02:15 PM

you making me hungry dales and buttermilk for me. I may go lay out some
Posted By: globe

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/23/24 05:00 PM

I use buttermilk but I have fried it 100 times with nothing but seasoned flour.
I put my flour in a gal zip lok bag and taste it, then start putting the cube steak in the flour bag. Shake it up and fry in hot grease.
I always lay mine out the day before, rinse it really good, squeeze it out then marinade it a little low sodium dales or watered down moores.
Only flip it once with a fork
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/23/24 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by globe
I use buttermilk but I have fried it 100 times with nothing but seasoned flour.
I put my flour in a gal zip lok bag and taste it, then start putting the cube steak in the flour bag. Shake it up and fry in hot grease.
I always lay mine out the day before, rinse it really good, squeeze it out then marinade it a little low sodium dales or watered down moores.
Only flip it once with a fork

👍
Posted By: hallb

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/23/24 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Razorsharp123
Flour then egg then flour. Pretty universal step in preparation of things that are to be fried.

Yep, and also if you use one of the battering plastic shakers or at least a zip lok so you can shake it around really good helps...better than just patting it in the flour mix.
Posted By: AUjerbear

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/25/24 02:58 AM

2 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika

Marinade in buttermilk for 12 hours. You can also use an egg if you like to help in the adhesion. Usually 3-4 minutes per side when your grease is hot.
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/25/24 03:15 AM

Put some flour in your egg wash also helps.
Posted By: Big Game Hunter

Re: Frying Backstrap? - 02/26/24 05:40 PM

Season meat
Dip in flour
Dip in egg/butter milk
Dip in flour again
Drop in hot grease
Enjoy
© 2024 ALDEER.COM