Aldeer.com

C A B meeting in Auburn?

Posted By: jaredhunts

C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/12/24 07:20 PM

What are the changes being proposed for next deer season? What other seasons are seeing changes? Who’s goin?
Posted By: stoolshooter

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/12/24 07:36 PM

This would be the place to air your trespassing dog gripes
Posted By: CNC

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/12/24 07:51 PM

I think someone may be speaking again on the need for rescue shelters for orphaned fawns

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/12/24 08:05 PM

I got on a few Facebook groups about deer hunting here and you probably ain’t far off CNC.
Posted By: Antelope08

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/12/24 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by jaredhunts
I got on a few Facebook groups about deer hunting here and you probably ain’t far off CNC.

Well, on the Alabama Deer Hunters Facebook page, there's a pretty good "discussion" concerning what rules need to be changed, if anything needs to be changed, buck limits, out of state hunters, etc......
Posted By: CAL

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/12/24 11:49 PM

I’d imagine cousin Eddie will be down there raising Hell about something

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/13/24 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Antelope08

Well, on the Alabama Deer Hunters Facebook page, there's a pretty good "discussion" concerning what rules need to be changed, if anything needs to be changed, buck limits, out of state hunters, etc......

Yes, looks like a lot of hogwash on that discussion. I thought this place was bad.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/13/24 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by CAL
I’d imagine cousin Eddie will be down there raising Hell about something

That would be worth the price of admission.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/13/24 03:22 AM

He finally shut the hell up on another site thank god. Yes I know you’re seeing this Eddie.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/13/24 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Turkey_neck
He finally shut the hell up on another site thank god. Yes I know you’re seeing this Eddie.

yeah but he was mostly right ill give him that .
Posted By: capehorn24

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/13/24 11:54 AM

Never been to one so, finally found the date, time and place however have an owners meeting in OB that Saturday. Would be interesting to go.
Posted By: Antelope08

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/13/24 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Antelope08

Yes, looks like a lot of hogwash on that discussion. I thought this place was bad.

Yep....I don't even get into the hogwash and craziness when it comes to hunting, others can have all that drama and spread the rumors and conspiracies.....
Posted By: Clem

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/13/24 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
I think someone may be speaking again on the need for rescue shelters for orphaned fawns

Pfftttt. They don't need a shelter. Just a flat shovel.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/22/24 12:58 AM

Anyone going?......I think I'm gonna attend just to listen to what they say since its close by

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/22/24 01:02 AM

Why go and just listen?

Engage them and challenge them instead of endlessly bitching about it on Aldeer.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/22/24 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Why go and just listen?

Engage them and challenge them instead of endlessly bitching about it on Aldeer.

Some folks have asked me if I’d go listen to see if anything is talked about concerning blood tracking since I live close by……So I’m going to listen.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/22/24 01:29 AM

So you've been given an opportunity to put your money where your mouth is and you are just going to do... NOTHING.
Posted By: James

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/22/24 02:27 AM

So you've been given an opportunity to put your money where your mouth is and you are just going to do... NOTHING.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/22/24 02:29 AM

Posted By: Pwyse

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/22/24 02:41 AM

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/22/24 03:59 AM

Damn Harold you have to walk the walk. As big of a pain in the ass as Eddie is at least he will stand by his convictions.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/22/24 04:15 AM

Damn Harold you have to walk the walk. As big of a pain in the ass as Eddie is at least he will stand by his convictions.

“Walk the walk"??………What are you suggesting that I do?....Go make a scene at the CAB meeting Saturday??......I've just been asked to go listen to see if anything is said about blood tracking.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/22/24 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by CNC

“Walk the walk"??………What are you suggesting that I do?....Go make a scene at the CAB meeting Saturday??......I've just been asked to go listen to see if anything is said about blood tracking.

I didn’t say anything about that. But if you have the ideas here pose them to the board. Why go sit and listen if you have ideas and answers. Not being a smart ass but if you want to see change put it forward to them not us who have no damn say so.
Posted By: capehorn24

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/22/24 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by CNC

CnC, after your other thread about people complaining about threads in the serious deer forum and you go to the CAB and not mention any of the issues that you have mentioned here you will lose a lot of credibility, you think that it was a bad before.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/22/24 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

When you have an opportunity to speak directly to the people who make policy, don't suck your thumb and curl up in a fetal position.

No need to make a scene. Just stand up and address them like you have a pair.
Posted By: Backwards cowboy

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/22/24 03:02 PM

Let's move this to the sports forum, and put an over/under on how long he really just sits there and listens! I think auburn has better odds of winning the next four national championships!!
Posted By: kyles

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/22/24 04:55 PM

Take your charts

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/22/24 05:02 PM

I didn’t say anything about that. But if you have the ideas here pose them to the board. Why go sit and listen if you have ideas and answers. Not being a smart ass but if you want to see change put it forward to them not us who have no damn say so.

I’ll consider it for future meetings……It definitely wont be something I just throw together at the last minute two days beforehand and go in looking unprepared. Public speaking isnt really my forte to begin with….I communicate ideas much better through written text. This will be the first meeting I’ve ever attended…..I’ll let y’all know how it goes
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/22/24 07:06 PM

If you don’t mind, on my behalf see if we can get a system started for deer hunting with dogs for clubs in my area. I feel it’s only fair since we can “track” them in bow season and “dispatch” them with a firearm. I’m tired of running my hounds on leashes. I need blood after we pass through a few thickets…
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/22/24 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

I’ll consider it for future meetings……It definitely wont be something I just throw together at the last minute two days beforehand and go in looking unprepared. Public speaking isnt really my forte to begin with….I communicate ideas much better through written text. This will be the first meeting I’ve ever attended…..I’ll let y’all know how it goes

It’s very informal. It’s not a speech class. Lol. I’ve spoken at one before. Based off all the stuff you post, you could put something together in plenty of time before the meeting. There’s really no excuse not to, if you have the amount of concerns that you seem to have.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/24/24 05:18 PM

Just got back…..nothing really to report……It was really a bunch of nothing other than some formalities and a handful of folks talking about dog hunting.

The only think of any real significance that was said was during one of the dog hunters speeches where he was wanting dog hunting opened up for his club in Franklin Co and he pointed to blood trackers being allowed to use dogs……The head GW got up and said it was legal for folks to use dogs to track dead deer in non dog counties but illegal to pursue it and dispatch it if the deer was alive….. I have a feeling they’ll eventually screw up tracking with stupid rules just to appease others.

About the most eventful part of the whole thing for me was at the parking deck……I got out of the car at the same time as a couple next to me…..I asked if they were going to the CAB meeting and they said they were…..I said well I’m just gonna follow y’all if you know where you’re going……I had a nice conversation with them about blood tracking dogs as we walked across campus to the building where the meeting was held…..The guy said his name was Chris…….I didn’t even put two and two together until we got to the meeting room and he went and put his stuff down along side the other CAB members…….Apparently Chris’s last name was Blankenship. laugh

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/24/24 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
Just got back…..nothing really to report……It was really a bunch of nothing other than some formalities and a handful of folks talking about dog hunting.

The only think of any real significance that was said was during one of the dog hunters speeches where he was wanting dog hunting opened up for his club in Franklin Co and he pointed to blood trackers being allowed to use dogs……The head GW got up and said it was legal for folks to use dogs to track dead deer in non dog counties but illegal to pursue it and dispatch it if the deer was alive….. I have a feeling they’ll eventually screw up tracking with stupid rules just to appease others. laugh

How’d I know that was coming…

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/24/24 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Life
How’d I know that was coming…

Do you know the guy from Franklin Co??.....I think 5 of the 9 speakers was concerning dog hunting

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/24/24 09:37 PM

I do. He’s not trying to throw any of the dog trackers under the bus. He has tracked some before as well.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/24/24 09:52 PM

Well it certainly sounded like he was but that’s nothing new from the dog hunters…..
Posted By: Droptine-13

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/24/24 10:50 PM

I'd like to see areas closed for dog hunting opened back up. Everyone wants to complain about a dog hunter but dang sure want to call on a dog bc they can't shoot straight.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/24/24 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
Well it certainly sounded like he was but that’s nothing new from the dog hunters…..

One of the best guys I know.. he just wants a permit to run his dogs, and I’m sure everything he stated that you heard was the truth…
You not gonna identify as a dog hunter?

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/24/24 11:32 PM

It doesnt matter to me either way with dog hunting…..I have nothing against it….but it’s a completely separate fight and there’s no need to throw tracking under the bus to try and get something changed for dog hunters…..It isnt going to do anything other than potentially limit trackers as well.

If we polled Alabama hunters, which one would they be more concerned about being limited…..dog hunting or tracking??......I’m guessing if we had to, we could stir up a lot support for trackers and get a lot of phones ringing. There’s a LOT of folks using them now to help recover deer. There’s just no need in telling trackers they cant bay and dispatch a live deer with its guts hanging out of it because “dog hunting” is illegal in that county. Its not even close to the same thing and everyone knows that including the dog hunters.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/24/24 11:34 PM

What’s the worst that could happen? All other people that use dogs to pursue game have to have a paid permit… he’s fighting for his rights in a legal manner… isn’t that what most of the griping is about in the general forum? People need to stand up and do this or do that… I hope yall get to track and find/finish deer with your dogs. I hope he gets his permit one day to run his but I’m optimistic.. I have coon hounds and I’ve expected something to come up with them a while ago..

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/24/24 11:38 PM

What’s the worst that could happen??......Stupid rules being made to restrict trackers such as forcing us to track on lead…..not because it actually makes sense but just because it’s the most convenient way for them to make the problem go away.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/24/24 11:45 PM

And reckon how the law abiding deer dog runners felt like when they shut it down? Kinda like your feeling right now? Or worse?

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 12:10 AM

And reckon how the law abiding deer dog runners felt like when they shut it down? Kinda like your feeling right now? Or worse?

I would imagine they were probably pissed off at all of the other guys who caused problems for so long that they got it banned. Again, it’s a separate fight where one doesn’t have anything to do with the other. How many complaints has there been in the last 10 years concerning trackers? I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say close to none. Heck, there was landowners there today complaining about dog hunters on their property
Posted By: James

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 12:48 AM

Meh

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 12:49 AM

Ain’t no doubt.. I hope all gets what they want but I know it probably won’t happen. You’ll be ok either way. And so will I.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 01:26 AM

Again, one of the BIG differences here is the public support for one versus the other. Dog hunting isnt being made legal again because nobody really wants it to be except for a handful of folks…..Hunters would most likely come out in droves though to support blood tracking. It doesn’t impact me nearly as much as some other guys because many of the counties I track in are dog legal….. I wasn’t the only tracker there though…..I had guys from north Alabama messaging me wanting to know about it before I even got home. I would imagine its just a matter of time before something is done to better define the rules…..I just hope they do it in a smart manner when they do

Out of curiosity…….If they do propose changes…..when is the public made aware of it?.....Is it well ahead of time so it gives folks a chance to voice opposition to anything stupid or will they just announce it one day?
Posted By: aucivil

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 11:34 AM

Dog hunting is fine as long as it is a legal for adjoining property owners to remove trespassing dogs.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 01:04 PM

CNC ,,,, bout the only way i guess you can keep ever body happy and stay legal and keep the dog safe is to keep the dog on a leash .
Posted By: Luxfisher

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Droptine-13
I'd like to see areas closed for dog hunting opened back up. Everyone wants to complain about a dog hunter but dang sure want to call on a dog bc they can't shoot straight.

👍

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie
CNC ,,,, bout the only way i guess you can keep ever body happy and stay legal and keep the dog safe is to keep the dog on a leash .

That would be the worst way of doing it …..If anything gets changed then they need to look at what Michigan did…..They now allow their trackers to legally track at night as well as bay and dispatch deer off lead night or day…….

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

Out of curiosity…….If they do propose changes…..when is the public made aware of it?.....Is it well ahead of time so it gives folks a chance to voice opposition to anything stupid or will they just announce it one day?

They do not announce any proposals. Whatever they discuss prior to meetings, someone announces it at a meeting and then it's in the public.

Years ago, someone would announce a proposal during a meeting and then call for a vote. That was abunchabullshit. Unless it leaked prior to the meeting, and was published by the press OR the rumor-reporting-group discussion mills got the word out (like, the dog hunters finding out something was up), no one knew what was coming until it happened. This often also led to 2-3 days before the meeting word getting out about Big Topic Proposal that was coming, and a scramble for those interested to drive hours to the meeting site to hear about or comment on the topic IF it was presented.

I think, if my memory is correct, that when Barnett Lawley was commissioner in the mid-2000s he (or someone on the board) made it that a proposal could not be voted on in the same meeting. If something was presented at the February meeting, for example, it couldn't be voted on until at least the next meeting. That gave the public time to digest whatever was presented and contact Board members, round up the cavalry, complain, whine, celebrate or whatever.

The CAB never has presented a real, legitimate, detailed agenda of the meeting or what is coming. The agenda that is published on the DCNR site is basically this:

Call to Order
Prayer
Discussion by (person from DCNR, Board, etc.)
Presentation by (person from DCNR division, etc.)
Public Comment
Board deliberation-discussion-etc
Adjournment

Similar to the DCNR (or other state agencies) never publishing a legitimate line-item budget, it never has presented a line-item agenda for the CAB meetings. Presenting minimal basics (or really, nothing of substance) leaves everyone to want more, dig for, beg for more or have to formally request X-info. Or, people mostly just shrug and give up, which is what many govenment entities want.

The CAB is a thankless position, and sometimes does good work. But IMO it could do a few things better. Publishing the topics to be discussed would be one good start.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 05:10 PM

Thanks Clem……Something else I don’t get in this day and age of technology is why the meeting is not live streamed unless they just don’t want folks to be able to easily keep up with what’s happening or being said

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

That would be the worst way of doing it …..If anything gets changed then they need to look at what Michigan did…..They now allow their trackers to legally track at night as well as bay and dispatch deer off lead night or day…….

What do trackers do when the dog bays on land they don't have permission to be on ?
Posted By: chevydude2015

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

What do trackers do when the dog bays on land they don't have permission to be on ?

Non-issue with modern GPS tracking collars and well-trained dogs. Simply tone the dog off the deer when they're approaching the neighbor's property you don't have permission on. CNC talks about having to do that all the time in his tracking stories thread.
Posted By: jhardy

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by chevydude2015
Originally Posted by CNC

Non-issue with modern GPS tracking collars and well-trained dogs. Simply tone the dog off the deer when they're approaching the neighbor's property you don't have permission on. CNC talks about having to do that all the time in his tracking stories thread.

Same electronics available for all dog hunters.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
Thanks Clem……Something else I don’t get in this day and age of technology is why the meeting is not live streamed unless they just don’t want folks to be able to easily keep up with what’s happening or being said

I asked about this years ago when I regularly covered the meetings. I was met with shrugs, "Eh, dunno" ... "Costs too much" ... "We don't have the technical capabilities" and mostly blank stares.

When you're happy with status quo and don't want to improve to help the public you serve, not making the effort is easy.

I can learn how to stream an event with my phone on a website I set up myself or on FB. And yet they can't stream three meetings? Pfffftttt.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 06:06 PM

It usually doesn’t get to that point…….Most trackers are following their dogs through the woods…….some don’t but most do. The vast majority of the time I’m 50-100 yards behind my dogs looking for blood, watching to see how hard they’re having to work to track it, etc……I’m already assessing the situation in case one jumps to see how far we are from roads, property lines, big creeks, etc……All I got to do is hit my tone button at any time and recall them back to me….

One of the questions I typically ask hunters over the phone before even going out is “How far are you from the property lines?”…..I tell them that if they’re anywhere close then they probably need to go ahead and get the neighbors contact info just in case. Not all, but a lot of the time we’re already prepared ahead of time for the potential of crossing property lines and the neighbors have already been contacted…

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Clem

I asked about this years ago when I regularly covered the meetings. I was met with shrugs, "Eh, dunno" ... "Costs too much" ... "We don't have the technical capabilities" and mostly blank stares.

When you're happy with status quo and don't want to improve to help the public you serve, not making the effort is easy.

I can learn how to stream an event with my phone on a website I set up myself or on FB. And yet they can't stream three meetings? Pfffftttt.

I agree

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 06:26 PM

Same gps toning technology used in the dog clubs now. Better be gettin you a good lead line CNC

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 06:27 PM

I don’t want to jump the gun but if dog hunters are going to the CAB meetings and putting pressure on the members about trackers then I want to get out ahead of any changes that may be proposed to make sure they don’t just take the easy way out and create stupid rules that don’t make sense……I have a literal chit ton of phone numbers that I can reach out to if the “calvary” needs to be rounded up that includes virtually every high end property and plantation in this area and I’m sure many other trackers do to. I have a feeling that some folks may already be doing such after what was said yesterday about trackers being prosecuted for baying and dispatching deer in non-dog hunting counties.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 06:32 PM

Wait ... people using tracking dogs in a legit effort to find deer in counties that prohibit "dog hunting for deer" are getting in trouble?

That's two different things. A tracking dog on a blood trail isn't a brace of hounds turned loose to push deer in front of standers.

They're totally separate things.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

It usually doesn’t get to that point…….Most trackers are following their dogs through the woods…….some don’t but most do. The vast majority of the time I’m 50-100 yards behind my dogs looking for blood, watching to see how hard they’re having to work to track it, etc……I’m already assessing the situation in case one jumps to see how far we are from roads, property lines, big creeks, etc……All I got to do is hit my tone button at any time and recall them back to me….

One of the questions I typically ask hunters over the phone before even going out is “How far are you from the property lines?”…..I tell them that if they’re anywhere close then they probably need to go ahead and get the neighbors contact info just in case. Not all, but a lot of the time we’re already prepared ahead of time for the potential of crossing property lines and the neighbors have already been contacted…

Then where the problem with being on a leash ? Not that I care either way if you crossed my land .

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 06:45 PM

Wait ... people using tracking dogs in a legit effort to find deer in counties that prohibit "dog hunting for deer" are getting in trouble?

That's two different things. A tracking dog on a blood trail isn't a brace of hounds turned loose to push deer in front of standers.

They're totally separate things.

I don't see a problem with it . Course I have no problems with hunting dogs .

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 07:13 PM

Then where the problem with being on a leash ? Not that I care either way if you crossed my land .

Where is the need for it? Why don’t people put their bird dogs on a lead? You come with me next year and I’ll put one in your hand in a young south Alabama cutover and let it do the explaining……..Many of these places where we go its hard enough just to walk through it…….and before you even say it…..its far more than just a matter of inconvenience……It greatly reduces the dog’s ability to efficiently track. It would also cut down on about 50% of the recoveries we make due to the deer being alive when we find it and having to be bayed to dispatch it……I doubt I would do it anymore if they forced folks on lead…..Its just a miserable endeavor in our habitat. From what I’ve seen in other states talking to other trackers…..many of them just ignore the leash law anyways and just keep the dog close with the GPS collar.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 07:13 PM

The problem with dog hunters is they let the bad apples ruin it for everyone. Turning out packs of dogs to run every deer in the county and cross property lines is completely different than a tracker putting out one or two dogs to trail one specific deer. Now I’m sure not every dog club acts that way but plenty of them seemed to. If there has been a flurry of complaints of trackers letting their dogs chase deer on someone’s property without permission then I haven’t seen them. Certainly not as common as it seems to be for those who deer hunt with dogs.

The simple fact is that forcing someone to track on lead is a huge PITA, especially in the thick stuff and solves what seems to be a non-issue from what I can tell.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 07:27 PM

If you’ve never been on a track and watched a dog work a trail….it’s a lot like how we do it as humans in that they often progress it a little ways and then lose it ……Once they’ve lost it they begin to work a pattern of casting out and back…..out and back…..out and back……sort of in an outward spiral pattern trying to pick it back up. Sometimes we may stand in one spot for 5, 10, or 15 minutes waiting for the dog to pick the scent back up and progress it on…..If you’re “on lead” you have to spend this entire time chasing around behind the dog trying to keep the lead untangled as he works around and around in a circle in the same area instead of him just being able to freely hunt…..Try this out in a young cutover……Its about as frustrating as dealing with a backlashed reel and rod.

This just reminds of something else we’re dealing with here…..Many of the folks making these rules have zero first hand experience with how tracking actually works.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

They do not announce any proposals. Whatever they discuss prior to meetings, someone announces it at a meeting and then it's in the public.

Years ago, someone would announce a proposal during a meeting and then call for a vote. That was abunchabullshit. Unless it leaked prior to the meeting, and was published by the press OR the rumor-reporting-group discussion mills got the word out (like, the dog hunters finding out something was up), no one knew what was coming until it happened. This often also led to 2-3 days before the meeting word getting out about Big Topic Proposal that was coming, and a scramble for those interested to drive hours to the meeting site to hear about or comment on the topic IF it was presented.

I think, if my memory is correct, that when Barnett Lawley was commissioner in the mid-2000s he (or someone on the board) made it that a proposal could not be voted on in the same meeting. If something was presented at the February meeting, for example, it couldn't be voted on until at least the next meeting. That gave the public time to digest whatever was presented and contact Board members, round up the cavalry, complain, whine, celebrate or whatever.

The CAB never has presented a real, legitimate, detailed agenda of the meeting or what is coming. The agenda that is published on the DCNR site is basically this:

Call to Order
Prayer
Discussion by (person from DCNR, Board, etc.)
Presentation by (person from DCNR division, etc.)
Public Comment
Board deliberation-discussion-etc
Adjournment

Similar to the DCNR (or other state agencies) never publishing a legitimate line-item budget, it never has presented a line-item agenda for the CAB meetings. Presenting minimal basics (or really, nothing of substance) leaves everyone to want more, dig for, beg for more or have to formally request X-info. Or, people mostly just shrug and give up, which is what many govenment entities want.

The CAB is a thankless position, and sometimes does good work. But IMO it could do a few things better. Publishing the topics to be discussed would be one good start.

I sat through a few CAB meetings and you could tell some behind the scenes stuff was happening. Especially, when you read the write up in the paper and think, ‘over half of this stuff was never discussed in the meeting.’

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 08:20 PM

CNC , like I said I have no problems with tracking dogs or them off lead .

When he was alive you should've seen my little 9lb Chihuahua track one . I took him ever where I went . thumbup

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 10:32 PM

So is it illegal to pursue and kill those deer with a dog in non dog hunting areas?
Posted By: CrappieMan

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/25/24 10:41 PM

So is it illegal to pursue and kill those deer with a dog in non dog hunting areas?

Also it could be said that shooting a tracked deer at night is illegal In areas where night hunting isn't allowed.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by CrappieMan

Also it could be said that shooting a tracked deer at night is illegal In areas where night hunting isn't allowed.

These are the types of questions that CNC and other trackers are afraid will turn into more BS rules and regs that only end up hurting hunters more. Tracking & dispatching wounded animals should not be viewed in the same light as hunting an alive and well animal IMO. I know for a fact that if I was trailing a deer I wounded (without or without tracking dog) and found it still alive I'm going to do my best to put it out of its misery no matter what time of day it is or what the rules say. That's just common sense no matter what the law is.
Posted By: Cuz-Pat

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 12:25 AM

These are the types of questions that CNC and other trackers are afraid will turn into more BS rules and regs that only end up hurting hunters more. Tracking & dispatching wounded animals should not be viewed in the same light as hunting an alive and well animal IMO. I know for a fact that if I was trailing a deer I wounded (without or without tracking dog) and found it still alive I'm going to do my best to put it out of its misery no matter what time of day it is or what the rules say. That's just common sense no matter what the law is.

Well spoken and I agree.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 12:42 AM

thumbup

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 01:15 AM

Just about all of the stink is being stirred up by the dog hunters whether it be on social media or at CAB meetings…..The rest of the general hunting public is fine with what trackers are doing. I’ll give the “powers that be” credit in that they haven’t really pressed the issue over the years but the dog hunters are forcing their hand by doing things like putting them on the spot at the CAB meeting like they did yesterday. What I don’t understand is how they think its going to help their cause…..Nobody is going to make dog hunting legal again because you go and throw trackers under the bus…..It amazes me that they do these things and then look at us and say…”What?? Don’t you want to help us fight for dog hunting rights?”
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 01:37 AM

Have done it and will do it every time it’s needed.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by CNC
Just about all of the stink is being stirred up by the dog hunters whether it be on social media or at CAB meetings…..The rest of the general hunting public is fine with what trackers are doing. I’ll give the “powers that be” credit in that they haven’t really pressed the issue over the years but the dog hunters are forcing their hand by doing things like putting them on the spot at the CAB meeting like they did yesterday. What I don’t understand is how they think its going to help their cause…..Nobody is going to make dog hunting legal again because you go and throw trackers under the bus…..It amazes me that they do these things and then look at us and say…”What?? Don’t you want to help us fight for dog hunting rights?”

Dog hunting and tracking dogs aren’t even remotely in the same ballpark!! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, tracking dogs are one of the best tools ever to happen to deer hunting. But like every tool, it has to be used properly. I would bet my left arm that no tracker would ever put his or her dog or dogs in any situation that would possibly put the dog in a bind. The dog hunters we had experiences with barely kept their dogs alive and would drop them wherever they wanted. Big difference in the two.
Posted By: johnv

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 02:35 PM

Tracking on a leash is a joke. Recovery rates go way down in states required to track on leed. During bow season it is nothing to jump a liver gut shot buck alive after 24hrs. People that talk crap about trackers have never been on a track and just like to run their mouth for the most part.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 02:39 PM

DEFINITION OF HUNTING
Hunting includes pursuing, shooting, killing, capturing and trapping wild animals, wild fowl, wild birds, and all lesser acts, such as disturbing, harrying or worrying, or placing, setting, drawing, or using any device used to take wild animals, wild fowl, wild birds, whether they result in taking or not, and includes every act of assistance to any person in taking or attempting to take wild animals, wild fowl, or wild birds.
Posted By: globe

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 03:20 PM

You can FEEL any way you want about tracking dogs, but make no mistake about it, it’s hunting. I’m semi training my house dog to track deer now, I’ll track day or night to find a wounded deer someone shoots. People track deer for people because they love their dog and love watching their dog work. They love the feel of the HUNT. I certainly don’t see anything wrong in it and to leave a wounded deer you could recover should be criminal.
But just tell it like it is, it’s hunting. If it HAS to be defined, and everybody knows it is. It’s something that should be allowed and given much leeway and concessions because it’s needed though. IMO

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 03:31 PM

DEFINITION OF HUNTING
Hunting includes pursuing, shooting, killing, capturing and trapping wild animals, wild fowl, wild birds, and all lesser acts, such as disturbing, harrying or worrying, or placing, setting, drawing, or using any device used to take wild animals, wild fowl, wild birds, whether they result in taking or not, and includes every act of assistance to any person in taking or attempting to take wild animals, wild fowl, or wild birds.

So were you the guy at the CAB meeting??

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 04:20 PM

CNC ,,, law is the law . You either go by it , break it or change it .

I think tracking should be allowed the way you seem to want it . I hate to see any body lose a deer

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
DEFINITION OF HUNTING

So were you the guy at the CAB meeting??

I was not but know his intentions

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 04:47 PM

My opinion: outlaw dog hunting and make a special clause protecting tracking dogs

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 04:49 PM

dog hunters are the smallest number but make the most noise

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 04:52 PM

If that law, that is posted by the Alabama DCNR, is correct the rights that all of the tracking guys say they have are false… your worried about getting something taken away from you, that you do not have. Unless you are in the areas of the state where dog hunting is legal. Correct? I have been wrong before, and am not ashamed to admit it. I do agree with tracking wounded game, am not against it or any other dog affiliated sports. That’s just the law as of now..

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 05:59 PM

I was not but know his intentions

Some folks seem to try and go out of their way to prove that what trackers are doing is illegal…..Why is that?..... Are they concerned about tracking being bad for the resource?.....Are they really that concerned about everyone following the letter of the law?..... OR……Are they just doing it to try and progress their own dog hunting agenda?.....It’s funny how folks who say they want to promote dog hunting rights are out campaigning against other dog handlers trying to get them shut down.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 06:00 PM

I think tracking should be allowed the way you seem to want it . I hate to see any body lose a deer

Well then, I think trackers should be able to operate day and night and dispatch deer when needed with whatever weapon is in season……I think that makes the most common sense…....How do you suggest we go about that?......Make some new rules?......Everybody usually jumps up and down screaming about “more rules” that are not needed……Truth be told…..if it weren’t for the dog hunters bitchin, it wouldn’t be needed. We would just keep operating the way we are now because nobody else has a problem with it.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 06:14 PM

There is only a very small portion of Louisiana that allows dog hunting. Also for as long as I can remember, it was illegal to use dogs to track wounded deer here. A few years ago, when tracking dogs started proving to be such a valuable tool in other states, Louisiana changed the rules and now allow the use of tracking dogs statewide. Of course Louisiana never had the amount of dog hunting Alabama had so that part was never an issue.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 06:15 PM

Just clearly stating laws to try to gain his rights back for a permit to run his dogs.. if mentioning the tracking guys ways they work throws them under the bus well I guess he did and I am… but as far as mentioning hateful slurs and accusations of being bad folk neither have or will…
And under those laws that are being broke I myself and I’m sure other “dog hunters” trackers excluded since they are not a dog hunter, are in support of the tracking thing. But to brag, and make money, and take to social media of all these great recoveries and dispatches of game some just think a simple permit to a club that has enough land and the same gps collar “toning and shocking” systems shouldn’t be that big of a deal… I believe your own chucky Sykes probably enjoys a good dog hunt from time to time.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

Well then, I think trackers should be able to operate day and night and dispatch deer when needed with whatever weapon is in season……I think that makes the most common sense…....How do you suggest we go about that?......Make some new rules?......Everybody usually jumps up and down screaming about “more rules” that are not needed……Truth be told…..if it weren’t for the dog hunters bitchin, it wouldn’t be needed. We would just keep operating the way we are now because nobody else has a problem with it.

yes ,,, new rules . allowing tracking like you want interferes or harms no one . the land owner should have the say so if you can track on the land .

was me , i wouldn't track where not allowed by law at some point people will get pissed off enough to raise hell . you start telling people with deep pockets you cant track and why the wheels will get greased . all the trackers do that ,,,, it'll get fixed .

or oh my gosh ,,,, they'll learn to track or shoot better .

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 08:25 PM

Just clearly stating laws to try to gain his rights back for a permit to run his dogs.. if mentioning the tracking guys ways they work throws them under the bus well I guess he did and I am… but as far as mentioning hateful slurs and accusations of being bad folk neither have or will…
And under those laws that are being broke I myself and I’m sure other “dog hunters” trackers excluded since they are not a dog hunter, are in support of the tracking thing. But to brag, and make money, and take to social media of all these great recoveries and dispatches of game some just think a simple permit to a club that has enough land and the same gps collar “toning and shocking” systems shouldn’t be that big of a deal… I believe your own chucky Sykes probably enjoys a good dog hunt from time to time.

Its not really that simple though……My guess would be that if they issued your buddy a permit in a closed area then it would be setting a precedent that ALL other clubs in closed areas could point to as to why they should also get one…..and most Alabama hunters don’t want dog hunting in their areas anymore…..I think if he wanted to be able to dog hunt then he would have to get the whole area opened back up. I would bet he is doing it as a legal strategy as much as anything but that may not be the case

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 09:03 PM

I sure dont want dog hunting in my area but will welcome tracking dogs

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 10:28 PM

yes ,,, new rules . allowing tracking like you want interferes or harms no one . the land owner should have the say so if you can track on the land .

was me , i wouldn't track where not allowed by law at some point people will get pissed off enough to raise hell . you start telling people with deep pockets you cant track and why the wheels will get greased . all the trackers do that ,,,, it'll get fixed .

or oh my gosh ,,,, they'll learn to track or shoot better .

That’s something I would hope the powers that be take into consideration before deciding what to do…….Virtually EVERYBODY is using tracking dogs now…..If they do something to mess that up then they’re going to really stir up a hornet’s nest….. If something HAS to be done then my recommendation would be to set up something like we have for prescribed burn managers…….Give trackers the freedom to do what we all see as common sense night or day through an easy to use “call in” system that can accessed via an internet website just like burn managers do. If need be have a required class that has to be attended and charge a fee to help pay for the call in system……I would rather see this put in place than for them to just take the easy way out and handcuff everyone with leash rules.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 10:42 PM

you could of left that "charge a fee" out of yer comments.....
Posted By: RandanAL

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 10:47 PM

I've always thought that the tracking dog treatment was kind of "walking the line" via basically an interpretation rather than the letter of the law. For example you can't use night vision or thermals to hunt, could you use them to recover deer if you're not dispatching deer at that time? Why could you use a dog but not thermals?

Probably hinges on the definition of "act of assistance" - currently it seems like they're saying once the deer is dispatched, the hunt is over and recovering game is separate from the act of hunting it, which feels like a good definitional break, though other states interpret the break differently.

With dog hunters bad apples truly ruined the bunch. I can't fathom the state handing out permits to dog clubs. Impacts everyone around them too much.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
handcuff everyone with leash rules.
Could make eCollar mandatory or some kind of GPS collar allowing you to keep tabs on the dog. I'm guessing most trackers are organized enough that they have something like that no?

That said - huge irony that the complaints about dog trackers are coming from dog hunters. How many times have you heard an average hunter or landowner say something like "daggum dog trackers ran by my stand ruining my hunt!" Me personally never lmao

If a neighbor had a tracking dog out I'd probably want to hang around and see what he got!

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by RandanAL
Originally Posted by CNC
Could make eCollar mandatory or some kind of GPS collar allowing you to keep tabs on the dog. I'm guessing most trackers are organized enough that they have something like that no? !

Everyone already uses them…….

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred

Yep. “$750 Tracking Dog Privilege License”

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/26/24 11:51 PM

I paid $150 to become a certified burn manager. It isnt much different than that.....I wouldnt have even suggested it except for I know they'll want someone to pay for a call in system if one gets created

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by CNC
Originally Posted by RandanAL
Originally Posted by CNC
Could make eCollar mandatory or some kind of GPS collar allowing you to keep tabs on the dog. I'm guessing most trackers are organized enough that they have something like that no? !

Everyone already uses them…….

Even the best dog hunters,

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 12:23 AM

So let's recap, land owners should have the right to call in a tracking dog owner to hunt deer at night, but not dump a bag of corn on the ground? The guy told you it's legal to use a dog to recover game , just not shoot one! Take the dog. Leave the gun in the truck. What's so confusing here?
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Backwoods cowboy
The guy told you it's legal to use a dog to recover game , just not shoot one! Take the dog. Leave the gun in the truck. What's so confusing here?

Are you suggesting that trackers should not be able to chase deer at night for 3 miles that were shot in the foot and then shoot them bayed up in a creek? 😁

Posted By: abolt300

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by CNC
I paid $150 to become a certified burn manager. It isnt much different than that.....I wouldnt have even suggested it except for I know they'll want someone to pay for a call in system if one gets created

If it costs $150 for a burn manager license, it should cost $15,000 for a tracking dog license. Why? Because it’s 100x more fun to watch your dogs works and chase deer through the woods, on fine properties, than it is to light fires and breathe smoke all day. Lol. J/k Harold.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 02:33 AM

Just use common sense. Art tracked one for me in camden - we gav it 24 hours and surprisingly it was still alive. Deer could go nowhere - art ended it. I got deer kill - i could hav easily shot since it could not get up. We would hav done same thing in pitch dark and never worry bout it cause it the right thing to do

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by BhamFred

why is it ever body seem to just offer up money to the government

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Southwood7
The guy told you it's legal to use a dog to recover game , just not shoot one! Take the dog. Leave the gun in the truck. What's so confusing here?

Are you suggesting that trackers should not be able to chase deer at night for 3 miles that were shot in the foot and then shoot them bayed up in a creek? 😁

if he has the land owners permission i see nothing wrong .
Posted By: Boathand

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Southwood7

That is exactly what CNC is doing and he will post it on Facebook. Heck many of them even post pictures of wounds that are entirely survivable and the.go into long detail on how many miles they had to “track” them and how many times they broke from being bayed. What many “trackers” are doing is dog hunting and following zero regulations. How about the trackers that only allow themselves to be the one to finish off the deer, Are they game checking it under their name?

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 06:49 AM

We all need to quit trying to keep secret that many of these guys aren’t tracking mortally wounded deer finding them dead or finding them in their beds on death throes. They are running deer with a survivable wound or possible fatal wound until they run them enough that the wound becomes fatal or crippling enough to bay and then they shoot the deer.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Boathand
We all need to quit trying to keep secret that many of these guys aren’t tracking mortally wounded deer finding them dead or finding them in their beds on death throes. They are running deer with a survivable wound or possible fatal wound until they run them enough that the wound becomes fatal or crippling enough to bay and then they shoot the deer.

I agree with part of what you said, but the young man that came track a deer for us told us that it’s very hard for 1 dog to bay a deer unless it has a serious injury. He said it’s much easier to bay a deer with 2 dogs. He also told us that the deer he tracked for us and his dogs jumped would most likely never been bayed because of the lack of serious injury to that buck. He said the buck passed 15yds from him and he saw no visible injury on the buck and the dogs weren’t even close to catching up with it so he toned them off and stopped the track. I have to believe what he said because I don’t know any way to say he’s not right. CNC can better inform us on that story.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 12:26 PM

I don't care if someone uses tracking dogs or not. Totally their choice. But if you are running deer with dogs that's dog hunting, I don't care what you call the dog, or the reason, if you kill a deer at night that's night hunting I don't care how you spin it. And suggesting it ok for you and no one else, because you have more common sense than everyone else, or because your more ethical than everyone else is asinine! On the bait ing thread this guy said how ridiculous it would be to have a special permit for night hunting and now he's asking for the state to give him one. And suggesting no one will be able to hunt with out it. Wait till morning and take a gun. Or don't take a gun at night. That's the law, and if you do your no different than any other law breaker. If you think for a minute these tracking dogs aren't Crossing property lines your an idiot. They're just doing it at 11pm when your in bed. Only difference between dog hunting club and a tracking dog, is how much they charge!

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 04:08 PM

Someone throwing out the notion that we’re finishing off deer with wounds that are totally survivable is a complete assumption on their part……Its just the guys from Alabama Dog Hunters Association doing everything they can to stir up stink any way they possibly can. If someone could bay up and finish a healthy deer then dog hunters would have been doing it years ago.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 04:36 PM

Let me throw this out there too……I know we all like to have our fun and mess with each other but right now is not a good time to just be trolling on this subject……If you want to have tracking dogs available to you in the future then right now is the time to support them.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 04:58 PM

If anyone followed me around for a season I think you would quickly see that this idea of us out finishing off a bunch of non-fatally hit deer is just complete bullchit…..It’s just an easy thing for the dog hunters to blow out of proportion and get others to believe…..I’ve posted everything we’ve recovered so you can see for yourself what’s being done……..and I’m not just basing my opinion of survivability off of assumption but rather facts.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: johnv

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 06:24 PM

I went 13 tracks in a row with non recoveries or had to stop due to property lines this season. People that haven't been tracking really have no clue what they are talking about when they assume we catch deer with flesh wounds

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by johnv
I went 13 tracks in a row with non recoveries or had to stop due to property lines this season. People that haven't been tracking really have no clue what they are talking about when they assume we catch deer with flesh wounds

I saw a video the other day of a tracking dog running a deer with a front leg flopping around . It was posted by the tracker . Shiiiiiiiit like that don't help yall . It was on Facebook random video .
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 06:57 PM

my Mal Taz caught and bayed a buck that was shot in the foot. Bayed it long enough for the hunter to kill it. Daytime. Deer would of died from infection from the foot wound.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 06:58 PM

I’m thinking about getting a few trained up to track. Possibly 3. Call em the track pack… or the pain train…track trio. Just for my buddies of course, free of charge, daylight only..
Posted By: Fishduck

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
Someone throwing out the notion that we’re finishing off deer with wounds that are totally survivable is a complete assumption on their part……Its just the guys from Alabama Dog Hunters Association doing everything they can to stir up stink any way they possibly can. If someone could bay up and finish a healthy deer then dog hunters would have been doing it years ago.

I dog hunted a lot of years and never saw a single deer caught by a dog that hadn't already been shot. The idea that trackers are baying deer that would survive their wounds is a figment of someone's imagination.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 07:34 PM

I’m thinking about getting a few trained up to track. Possibly 3. Call em the track pack… or the pain train…track trio. Just for my buddies of course, free of charge, daylight only..

You don't need a pack just to track . Hell I had a 9 lb Chihuahua that would track . I think a weenie dog would be the perfect tracking dog.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 07:36 PM

I saw a video the other day of a tracking dog running a deer with a front leg flopping around . It was posted by the tracker . Shiiiiiiiit like that don't help yall . It was on Facebook random video .

Whats wrong with that?....... Hunters blow the legs off of hundreds if not thousands of deer every year……The percentages say that deer isnt going to make it more than 72 hrs and will be lucky to make it 24…….Let me present it to you this way…….Let’s say folks fight to have trackers restricted because of that leg shot deer they believe might live and they win…..What good have they really done?......They’ve only caused hundreds of other deer to be left in the woods for the coyotes as a result and for what…..for the potential of saving a tiny handful of three legged deer that MIGHT potentially survive??.....Is that worth handcuffing trackers over?.....Arent there bigger fish to fry if you’re wanting to save deer?

Again, this is really a non-issue that some purposely blow out of proportion in attempt to benefit their cause......

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 07:47 PM

Again, this is really a non-issue that some purposely blow out of proportion in attempt to benefit their cause......
[/quote]

This

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 08:22 PM

No one is fighting against tracking, the fella you heard speak at the cab was tracking wounded deer with a beagle 15 years ago before all these soldiers came out of social media tracking. I even used the dog to track while he was at work. He is an animal lover and not a tracker dog hater CNC.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

Whats wrong with that?....... Hunters blow the legs off of hundreds if not thousands of deer every year……The percentages say that deer isnt going to make it more than 72 hrs and will be lucky to make it 24…….Let me present it to you this way…….Let’s say folks fight to have trackers restricted because of that leg shot deer they believe might live and they win…..What good have they really done?......They’ve only caused hundreds of other deer to be left in the woods for the coyotes as a result and for what…..for the potential of saving a tiny handful of three legged deer that MIGHT potentially survive??.....Is that worth handcuffing trackers over?.....Arent there bigger fish to fry if you’re wanting to save deer?

Don't bother me a bit that's a fact . Just gives ammo to the ones it does bother though. Yall wanna post videos like that it's fine with me . But don't complain why you see people having a problem with it.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 08:43 PM

I have a feeling this is going to get resolved..……Like I said before, we track deer for EVERYBODY now…… All we need is for everyone who is in favor of being able to use tracking dogs to support your local trackers in the weeks and months to come and for those of you who are just trolling to back off of this subject. smile

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
I have a feeling this is going to get resolved..……Like I said before, we track deer for EVERYBODY now…… All we need is for everyone who is in favor of being able to use tracking dogs to support your local trackers in the weeks and months to come and for those of you who are just trolling to back off of this subject. smile

It will , lot of people out there with pull that need trackers .

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 08:54 PM

Tracking isn't going anywhere CNC...

Dog hunters are just trying to crab bucket tracking and draw a parallel when there isn't one.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 08:56 PM

Let me know if I can help in support of the tracking guys CNC bc I am. And for the ones who dog hunt that are legit.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

Because this is not recovering a deer that a hunter couldn’t find, This is using a dog to run and make an opportunity to finish off an animal. Just like Fred said his dog bayed a deer that had been shot in the foot, we’ve all seen deer living missing a foot or a leg. I’m not against tracking at all but don’t get it confused a lot of these guys are basically dog hunting following no regulations. Just like was posted earlier these guys are dumb enough to post videos and details on social media.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Boathand
Because this is not recovering a deer that a hunter couldn’t find, This is using a dog to run and make an opportunity to finish off an animal. .

To finish off an animal that is likely going to otherwise die a slow death or be quickly taken out by coyotes …. …..Taking the one deer someone has seen in their life that has three legs doesn’t even remotely equate to the hundreds and hundreds that get shot annually and taken down by the coyotes…..The ratio is like 1000 to 1……Its a joke for someone to even try and make that case but I get that’s all that some have to grasp at.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 09:49 PM

Don't bother me a bit that's a fact . Just gives ammo to the ones it does bother though. Yall wanna post videos like that it's fine with me . But don't complain why you see people having a problem with it.

I get that in one sense but at the same time hiding what I’m doing makes it look like that I believe I’m doing something wrong……and I don’t…….Its like cowing to a leftist because of some emotional issue that they don’t like……

I say this trying not to have bias for something I do…..I firmly believe that what trackers are doing is good for our sport and the hunters…….and any amount of “bad” that’s occurring is just miniscule despite the light in which some folks try and cast it. Hunters are making some bad shots and at the end of the day trackers are just cleaning up that mess…..…..We’re helping to be good stewards of the resource by reducing the amount of “waste” that occurs. This is why it really frustrates me for folks to try and disingenuously cast tracking in a bad light just in hopes of progressing their own dog hunting agenda.

Re: C A B meeting in Auburn? - 02/27/24 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

I get that in one sense but at the same time hiding what I’m doing makes it look like that I believe I’m doing something wrong……and I don’t…….Its like cowing to a leftist because of some emotional issue that they don’t like……

I say this trying not to have bias for something I do…..I firmly believe that what trackers are doing is good for our sport and the hunters…….and any amount of “bad” that’s occurring is just miniscule despite the light in which some folks try and cast it. Hunters are making some bad shots and at the end of the day trackers are just cleaning up that mess…..…..We’re helping to be good stewards of the resource by reducing the amount of “waste” that occurs. This is why it really frustrates me for folks to try and disingenuously cast tracking in a bad light just in hopes of progressing their own dog hunting agenda.

What I'm getting at . It not only hurts your cause but hunting in general. Gory things happen during hunting but there's no need to post it on internet
© 2024 ALDEER.COM