Aldeer.com

Marengo County

Posted By: RollTide2014

Marengo County - 11/30/23 01:00 PM

New to hunting in Marengo County. Just curious as to when bucks typically start laying down scrapes?
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Marengo County - 11/30/23 02:11 PM

I’m in Monroe county and we find scrapes from October to April
Posted By: RCHRR

Re: Marengo County - 11/30/23 02:23 PM

Hard rut is Christmas. Hunted there for over 40 yrs and on my ex InLaws property you’d start seeing serious scrapes last week of November and Christmas Day morning it was own.

Re: Marengo County - 11/30/23 02:24 PM

I’ve found some old scrapes I’m assuming from earlier this year or late last year, nothing fresh. Maybe i just haven’t stumbled on the core area I’m looking for yet.
Posted By: hamma

Re: Marengo County - 11/30/23 03:03 PM

Last 2 wks of January
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Marengo County - 11/30/23 03:16 PM

One member says Christmas one member says last of Jan. I am new to hunting in Marengo County also so now I am confused even more
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Marengo County - 11/30/23 03:58 PM

All depends on which part of Marengo. Demopolis/Linden/Thomaston area you will want to start hunting hard from Jan1 through the end. May have a few does come in early, between Christmas and the end of Dec but the majority will be early-mid Jan. Dixons Mills and south Marengo, Jan 12th through the close of season. From Martin Luther King day on, will be your best time in the south end of Marengo. I hunted Demopolis for 15 yrs and we killed 70% of our big bucks between Jan 5th and Jan 15th and then you'd have another flurry, that would start the last few days of January when the ones not bred in the first cycle, came back in.
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Marengo County - 11/30/23 04:16 PM

Thanks
Posted By: MCW

Re: Marengo County - 11/30/23 06:07 PM

abolt is spot on. I grew up south of Linden and still hunt there on the same property. What he said is correct.
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: Marengo County - 11/30/23 09:02 PM

I’m just on the southern border bordering Clarke…ours start scraping hard/coming out right after new years and 2-3rd week they are wide open. I would hunt all of January-feb
Posted By: alhawk

Re: Marengo County - 11/30/23 11:31 PM

Saw my first scrape yesterday and thought it was a little early. I have only been there 3 years and I concur with what abolt said.
Posted By: Reptar

Re: Marengo County - 12/01/23 02:19 AM

I’ve hunted between Linden and Thomaston my whole life, the 3-day MLK weekend is usually when it is getting good. However, I’ve seen plenty of chasing over into the 10 days of February.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Marengo County - 12/01/23 02:59 AM

Exactly what abolt said - hunted there most of my life - grew up there - never ever remember a Christmas rut. Jan rut - usually bettr 8-12th and on but can see it earlier - will catch a second one early feb. A few years i hav seen it crank up later jan
Posted By: 1bamashooter

Re: Marengo County - 12/01/23 03:52 AM

My place is right outside demop rut usually starts mid Jan through the end of the season.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Marengo County - 12/01/23 05:05 AM

One handy , dandy Alabama rut map , brought to you by Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources .

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Marengo County - 12/01/23 12:07 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ shocker the map is correct again.
Posted By: JohnG

Re: Marengo County - 12/01/23 01:34 PM

I wonder how many hundreds of pregnant does were killed for fetus samples to make that chart. I saw some pics several years ago, they were sickening.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Marengo County - 12/01/23 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ben2

It's correct for Central and Western Jackson Co. too.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Marengo County - 12/01/23 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs

It's correct for Central and Western Jackson Co. too.

Not correct for the majority of chilton cnty.
Posted By: 1bamashooter

Re: Marengo County - 12/02/23 03:55 AM

Not for me it isn't
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Marengo County - 12/02/23 04:53 AM

It's correct. It may not be when you see chasing but ots when the does are being bred

Re: Marengo County - 12/05/23 03:49 AM

Was hunting the same property last year Jan. 8 on an invite and my buddy killed a good 8 that was chasing hard that morning and showed up in the plot that evening. I’m in the “club” this year. Just trying to get a good idea of when scrape activity is going on.
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: Marengo County - 12/05/23 04:08 AM

I make mock scrapes at my place around Christmas and then notice they really start hammering scrapes first of January
Posted By: Pwyse

Re: Marengo County - 12/05/23 04:21 AM

I don’t understand why the map has the dark red color for November 10-23 when it only occurs in the 100 acre spot in Barbour County. 😂 they could just call the one guy that hunts that spot instead of putting it in the map.

Re: Marengo County - 12/05/23 05:25 AM

It's correct. It may not be when you see chasing but ots when the does are being bred

So you consider heibergers peak breeding to be Jan 15 on? We both know that isn’t correct and I know it isn’t correct for I will say a lot of chilton cnty. I’ve hunted a lot of different areas in it and they all fall in the dec 25-Jan 5 time frame.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Marengo County - 12/05/23 07:06 PM

The map is correct, as has been pointed out.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Marengo County - 12/05/23 07:51 PM

for those that don't think the map is correct maybe consider Golf. I hear it's fun and will certainly save you a whole lot of time and truthfully probably some money as well.

Re: Marengo County - 12/05/23 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller

for those that don't think the map is correct maybe consider Golf. I hear it's fun and will certainly save you a whole lot of time and truthfully probably some money as well.

I’m not saying it’s completely wrong but it ain’t completely right either.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM