Aldeer.com

Alpaca socks

Posted By: ridgestalker

Alpaca socks - 11/20/23 02:31 AM

Are they worth the money? Struggle with cold feet with good boots and wool socks.
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/20/23 02:33 AM

Absolutely worth it. The only issues I have with them is that they wear out faster than traditional wool socks. I buy the alpaca insoles also

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/20/23 02:42 AM

Another thing I’m trying this year to fight the poor circulation in my feet is Niacin (vitamin B3) loading. I started taking 50 mg a day three months ago. I’ve slowly worked up to 200mg per day without the Niacin rush. Supposedly it causes the small capillaries in your extremities to expand, carrying more blood to the tips of your toes and fingers. I’ll let you know if I see a difference
Posted By: memsu

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/20/23 02:49 AM

Absolutely worth it.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/20/23 02:56 AM

Yes, very good.

I wear good pac boots stand hunting in cold weather too. Game changer.
Posted By: Narrow Gap

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/20/23 03:03 AM

Alpaca wool socks are really good but American Bison wool socks are better in cold weather. I have a few pairs of both Alpaca and American Bison wool socks but when it gets really cold I always go with the American Bison wool socks. I wear a American Bison wool head cover and gloves as well to help stay warm while sitting still on them real cold mornings.

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/20/23 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Narrow Gap
Alpaca wool socks are really good but American Bison wool socks are better in cold weather. I have a few pairs of both Alpaca and American Bison wool socks but when it gets really cold I always go with the American Bison wool socks. I wear a American Bison wool head cover and gloves as well to help stay warm while sitting still on them real cold mornings.

I bought a pair of Bison wool , knee highs at Unclaimed Baggage . They're a whole nother level.
Posted By: GHTiger10

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/20/23 08:52 AM

I have had great success with them.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/20/23 10:53 AM

I would try them with a shoe or boot that can breathe. Helped me tremendously last season.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/20/23 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs

I bought a pair of Bison wool , knee highs at Unclaimed Baggage . They're a whole nother level.

Dang I might look those up. Alpaca is a whole other level above wool.

The older I get the colder my feet get. Being type 2 doesn’t help I’m sure

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/20/23 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by cartervj
Originally Posted by 2Dogs

Dang I might look those up. Alpaca is a whole other level above wool.

The older I get the colder my feet get. Being type 2 doesn’t help I’m sure

Here's what I bought, new, at UBC for I believe $12 . That's the place in Scottsboro that has junk and no bargains.

https://unitedbyblue.com/products/ultimate-bison-lodge-sock

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/20/23 02:14 PM

I got my bison wool products from The Buffalo Wool Company.
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/20/23 02:19 PM

Alpaca, bison whats next beaver? coyote?
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/20/23 02:20 PM

I just ordered a pair from them. Let's see how they do

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/20/23 02:28 PM

A while back I did some research, following are my notes:

Alpaca socks for hunting

For durability and warmth in 20-degree weather, you'll want to look for alpaca socks that have a blend of alpaca fiber with other insulating and reinforcing materials. Here are a few specific products that are well-reviewed for such conditions:

1. Alpaca Direct's Heavyweight Extreme Alpaca Socks: These are blended with nylon for added durability and are designed for extreme conditions.

2. Warrior Alpaca Socks' Outdoor Alpaca Wool Socks: These often include a blend of alpaca with nylon and sometimes a little spandex to help the socks keep their shape and offer extra durability.

3. Alpacas of Montana's Extreme Alpaca Boot Socks: These are specifically made for harsh conditions and typically include a mix of alpaca fiber and nylon.

4. Follow Hollow Alpaca Performance Socks: They are designed for outdoor activities and are a blend of alpaca with other synthetic fibers to enhance durability
Posted By: Ol’Tom

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/20/23 02:33 PM

Absolutely worth the money.
I’ve been wearing the Altera Prevail Alpaca socks for awhile now with a thin wicking liner sock and they work great.
Van’s in Cullman have the Altera socks.
I also have some American Bryson socks that also work very well. Picked them up on trip out west.

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/20/23 03:43 PM

In the past, I bought all of my Alpaca stuff from a local guy named Bart Starr smile. He has since retired, but his partner, Linda Krauser, has continued the business. I emailed her last night asking if she was still in business, and she responded as follows:

Contact Info: krauserlinda@yahoo.com 513-267-0429

Yes I still sell Alpaca socks ,insoles and other garments. I was at a show in Lawrenceburg Ind over weekend. My next show is at Butler County Fairgrounds Dec 9-10 2023
Dayton Fairgrounds Dec 16-17 2023. The last 2 shows are C&E gun shows
Or you can always call me!
Hope this helps.
Linda Krauser
Top Knot Suri Farm
Posted By: Stickers

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/20/23 04:31 PM

100% !!

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/20/23 06:22 PM

I just got 2 pair from Hollow and theirs is where I’ve gotten my other pairs from

📸 Look at this post on Facebook https://sabambaalpaca.com/

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/20/23 08:26 PM

Thanks y’all. 20-30 a pair seems to be about average?
Posted By: hoggin

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/20/23 10:34 PM

Absolutely, I got a great deal on 40 pairs my choice and now my whole crew has a decent supply for cold days

They were $20 a pair for good quality socks at a place we stopped in Alaska so out of curiosity I ask how many I had to buy for a volume discount. 20 for $15, 30 for $10 $40 for $8.
I bought 40 and shipped them home for $12.

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/20/23 10:35 PM

[img]http://https://thebuffalowoolco.com/products/trekker-rdkface-bison-merino-boot-socks#judgeme_product_reviews[/img]
These are about as good as it gets and Your feet shouldn’t get cold. Only thing warmer would be musk ox (Qiviut) fur socks but the cost for them is steep.
Posted By: Six shooter

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/20/23 11:04 PM

Look up boot blanket, slide them over your boots or take your boots off and slide your feet in them and put a hot hand in each one and you’ll have no more cold feet

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/21/23 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Six shooter
Look up boot blanket, slide them over your boots or take your boots off and slide your feet in them and put a hot hand in each one and you’ll have no more cold feet

Hard to slip around in those rocks wearing booties.
Posted By: Six shooter

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/21/23 12:24 AM

Or you could put them on after you get there, duh

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/21/23 12:47 AM

I’m stalking/moving most of the time.
Posted By: Davyalabama

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/21/23 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by ridgestalker

I stalking/moving most of the time.

Ridgestalker, you're stalking and moving most of the time and your feet get cold? First, keep your feet dry. Second, keep your feet dry. Third, wet feet do get cold. If you are moving most of the time, you may not need thick socks but good moisture wicking socks. You have to get that water from sweating off your feet. You may want to try two pair of very light moisture wicking socks. I think the kind I buy are Fox River off Ama$%n. I also don't think you need a high thermal rating boot, a good light boot that moves water, think tactical here, is a better option for stalking. If you hunt all day, or hunt in the morning, then the afternoon, change socks throughout the day. Have extra pairs of light socks to change out throughout the hunt. Have a couple zip lock baggies, one for the changeout and one for the unworn socks. The military moves by it's feet is the old axiom, take care of them. You may want to try a light merino wood sock over the foxriver moisture wicking sock. Also, use a good antiperspirant on your feet to help with the sweating while stalking.

Those Alpacas, Musk Ox and Bison down hair socks or heavy merino are for those sitting on a stand. I wouldn't even put those heavy things on until I got to the stand, that's the way I do it on cold mornings. I'm thinking of trying some of the alpacas or Bison this year, because I am a stand hunter. My merino and moisture wicking just aren't enough as I get older. I'm not much into carrying a lot of stuff, so I'm not into carrying those booties to a stand. I've tried the thermal packs, but I just don't like the feel of them in my boots.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/22/23 03:49 AM

I read this thread with great interest - 2 heart attacks, 6 stents, and over a decade of taking Plavix gives a fellow cold feet that a younger person just can't begin to understand. For the past few years, I've been wearing BPS wool tree stand socks 24/7, taking them off only for a bath. Time to replenish the sock supply and BPS doesn't sell them anymore. I don't know what kind to buy, and all you guys have done is confuse me. smile

I wear out the heels first, and have even tried patching them without much success.
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/22/23 03:56 AM

I too get cold. Is it worth the prices I am seeing on these socks

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/22/23 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by lefthorn

IMy line of thinking is if it keeps Me warm while I am sitting still in really cold weather then I don’t mind spending a little more for that comfort.

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/22/23 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by lefthorn

IMy line of thinking is if it keeps Me warm while I am sitting still in really cold weather then I don’t mind spending a little more for that comfort.

Post up some good ones at “decent” prices

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/22/23 01:12 PM

Sounds like some of you stand hunters with cold feet need to switch to pac boots. There's a reason folks way up North wear them. If your feet get cold with good pac boots and good socks, this far South , you may have a medical issue.
Posted By: Engine5

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/22/23 01:28 PM

How are the PAC boots for walking/climbing? I'm generally walking near 1/2 mile often. Up the hills in TN or up the mtn in Bama.
Posted By: Treelimb

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/22/23 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Engine5
How are the PAC boots for walking/climbing? I'm generally walking near 1/2 mile often. Up the hills in TN or up the mtn in Bama.

They suck for walking up hills are very far.

To stay warm you need a loose fitting boot with a wicking sock (poly/nylon) with a good Merino or Alpaca sock over it.
The foot needs to breathe and stay dry. The loose or not too tight fit lets the foot breath and the liner lets the wool sock pull the sweat away from the foot.
If that don't work throw a few hand warmers in the boot once you get to your stand. Which is usually what I do.

The Altera Paca socks work well for me and as others posted there are lots of other companies. I can't say whether the Merino or Paca is best. I've got both and wore them extensively.
I just think it's a matter of the foot getting some air and staying dry.

Good luck
Posted By: 3toe

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/22/23 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Treelimb

They suck for walking up hills are very far.

To stay warm you need a loose fitting boot with a wicking sock (poly/nylon) with a good Merino or Alpaca sock over it.
The foot needs to breathe and stay dry. The loose or not too tight fit lets the foot breath and the liner lets the wool sock pull the sweat away from the foot.
If that don't work throw a few hand warmers in the boot once you get to your stand. Which is usually what I do.

The Altera Paca socks work well for me and as others posted there are lots of other companies. I can't say whether the Merino or Paca is best. I've got both and wore them extensively.
I just think it's a matter of the foot getting some air and staying dry.

Good luck

This.
Posted By: hallb

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/22/23 02:03 PM

This thread cost me some money at the Buffalo Wool Company website.
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/22/23 02:15 PM

Spray your toes with unscented anti perspirant. You would be surprised how dry your feet stay then.

Re: Alpaca socks - 11/22/23 03:09 PM

Heavy . I wear them in mountains , often much farther than 1/2 mile. Been wearing them for close to 40 years , I don't think anything about it . My feet DO NOT get cold.

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/21/23 12:24 AM

Went with Hollow brand and after wearing them I love them.

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/21/23 01:10 AM

I’m in the market for some more, I’ll check them out
Posted By: Jmfire722

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/21/23 01:11 AM

I have the Hollow brand Alpaca wool socks and they are phenomenal
Posted By: ALclearcut

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/21/23 01:40 AM

If you are wearing insulated boots and still struggle with cold feet it is likely more to do with your core temperature dropping and/or poor circulation. A vest with goose down under your coat and loose fitting boots will do more for your feet than new socks. The body naturally restricts blood flow to the extremities as your core temperature drops. It is willing to sacrifice fingers and toes to keep your organs warm.
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/21/23 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by ridgestalker
Went with Hollow brand and after wearing them I love them.

Good to hear Walker, just got a pair delivered to the house.

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/21/23 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by ALclearcut
If you are wearing insulated boots and still struggle with cold feet it is likely more to do with your core temperature dropping and/or poor circulation. A vest with goose down under your coat and loose fitting boots will do more for your feet than new socks. The body naturally restricts blood flow to the extremities as your core temperature drops. It is willing to sacrifice fingers and toes to keep your organs warm.

I’m finding if I keep my feet and head warm I stay warm.

Those Hollow socks are some count. I have some water alpaca socks and they were a game changer. Those Hollow Alpacas will be on the reorder list to get a nice collection of them. Also wear Darn Tough wool socks in various thicknesses. They’re even doable in the summer in a light weight. I just can’t wear cotton socks for any reason.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/21/23 01:55 AM

Sounds ghey to me
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/21/23 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Shaneomac2
Alpaca, bison whats next beaver? coyote?

Wouldn't care, if they keep my feet warm.
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/21/23 02:08 AM

Also, Schnee's pac boots are awesome. The Hunter model has great soles for walking.
Posted By: BuckRabbit

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/21/23 06:06 PM

Snowdeer heated socks, can get em on Amazon for $80. Inherited bad circualtion/cold feet from my grandad. These keep me toasty and in the stand for 5-6+ hrs. Well worth the money.

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/21/23 06:25 PM

I have Schnee pac boots and they’re easy to walk around in and super warm. Best boots I’ve ever owned. I have the 10” Hunter II
Posted By: grundan

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/23/23 03:57 AM

I wear uninsulated boots, change socks before climbing,put on boot blankets with hand warmers if sitting in a stand. They pack up easy when time to walk. Antiperspirant helps also, start using it weeks before you hit the cold part of season.
If your feet are cold while your slippin, well I can’t help you with that.

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/29/23 02:29 AM

Got two pair of hollow socks (alpaca) for Christmas. Looking forward to trying them

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/29/23 02:46 AM

Snagged a couple pairs from The Buffalo Wool company and man, they are definitely warmer than any sock I’ve tried, short of the battery powered ones i own. One pair was around $50 and one around $65. Time will tell if they’re worth it. Def did not tell my wife i bought them and spent that much on socks

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/29/23 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by BuckRabbit
Snagged a couple pairs from The Buffalo Wool company and man, they are definitely warmer than any sock I’ve tried, short of the battery powered ones i own. One pair was around $50 and one around $65. Time will tell if they’re worth it. Def did not tell my wife i bought them and spent that much on socks

They are worth it and definitely when staying warm is paramount will make feelings better about cost.

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/29/23 12:19 PM

I’ve worn the lower tier ones once with non-insulated boots this week and they were noticeable warmer. May try those tomorrow again on a rabbit hunt or may try out those Kodiak edition ones and see how they do. Appreciate the input
Posted By: JustHunt

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/29/23 01:22 PM

My feet get cold sitting on stand. But I have boot blankets that I put on when I get in stand and I’ve never had cold feet with em on. Way cheaper than these $50 socks y’all talking about. I’m just not paying that for one pair of socks.
Posted By: ShaftOne

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/29/23 02:50 PM

Best thing I ever did sock wise, was I started wearing dress socks. Ever since I did that, feet rarely sweat and stay warm with any boots.
Posted By: Peach

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/30/23 01:11 PM

I fished yesterday morning from before daylight till 9:00 o’clock in 30 degree weather. I was wearing alpaca socks with toe warmers attached to them and uninsulated shoes. My feet never got close to being cold.
Posted By: Bull64

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/30/23 02:21 PM

If you’re wearing lace-ups,when you get where you’re going untie the boots and loosen the laces all the way down to the toes…

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/30/23 03:10 PM

Got mine on, feet are warm.
Posted By: gatorbait154

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/30/23 03:52 PM

Guess I need to order some. My feet get cold in the warm house..
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/30/23 04:13 PM

I have posted this numerous times but I'll post it again...

Cold feet, for me at least, is caused by sweaty feet. I don't hunt much, but I do fish, all winter long. I've been fishing in temps as low as 19 degrees. I wear my fuzzy crocs, and cotton ankle socks to the boat ramp. Once I get there, I take the cotton socks off, and let my feet air dry. Then I put on wool socks and fish without my feet ever getting cold. The crocs let most of the sweat evaporate out the holes on the top. I don't have any fancy wool socks, just cheap wool blends from various stores. When I do deer hunt, I do the same, except with Muck boots.

If you have chronic cold feet, sweating in your boots could very well be the issue. Damp feet are cold feet. All you have to do to test this, is to take one boot and sock off, outside, with a slight breeze blowing. If your foot is damp from sweat, you'll know quickly with the breeze blowing.
Posted By: BPI

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/30/23 04:15 PM

Fur has cracked the code. Crocs with wool socks are a game changer.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/30/23 04:34 PM

I’m pretty sure my feet would be warmest after I get to the stand, dry my feet, no boots, alpaca wool sock
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/30/23 04:58 PM

A good pair of PAC boots do really well walking in the hills.
Posted By: Chickenrig

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/30/23 11:18 PM

Got my Hollow ones on now ! Nuttin like quality
Deffinetely warm for sure

Re: Alpaca socks - 12/31/23 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Chickenrig
Got my Hollow ones on now ! Nuttin like quality
Deffinetely warm for sure

Glad to hear. I’m gonna give them a whirl Monday am

Re: Alpaca socks - 01/01/24 06:09 PM

Yep. My alpaca socks kept my feet warm for 4 hours on stand today. Just barely started to get cold by end of sit
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Alpaca socks - 01/01/24 08:56 PM

I wore mine in my rubber boots with my arctic shield boot covers this morning. Sat from 5:30-12:00 and my feet were hot the entire sit.

Re: Alpaca socks - 01/01/24 09:06 PM

Walked about 2 miles in them and feet were still dry.

Re: Alpaca socks - 01/02/24 03:06 AM

I ordered 3 more pair today.
Posted By: Bulls eye

Re: Alpaca socks - 01/02/24 03:24 AM

I wear the Cabelas wader socks. Those suckers come up mid thigh. Best for my feet I have ever found. I use uninsulated rubber boots with them. If it is extremely cold, 15 degrees or below, I may put a foot warmer in my boot.
Posted By: just_an_illusion

Re: Alpaca socks - 01/02/24 12:20 PM

Ordered a pair of the Hollow Alpaca last night. Hopefully they'll arrive before season is over.
Posted By: BPI

Re: Alpaca socks - 01/02/24 03:47 PM

If you want to go down the Alpaca rabbit hole get the baby Alpaca. It's next level. When in the mountains of Ecuador I get that stuff for ridiculously cheap. You won't find warmer and more comfortable wool. It's handmade and not the best quality knitting, but for 10 bucks a sweater or 15 bucks a jacket you still win.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM