Aldeer.com

Hunting property lines

Posted By: Capt_harry

Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 12:28 AM

What are y’all’s feelings on hunting directly on the property lines?
My neighbors have 2 stands hung directly on my property line and another one hung on my property looking at a feeder on their property. How should I handle this?
Posted By: Jdkprp70

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 12:31 AM

Put there stands in the classifieds.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 12:36 AM

Are the stands facing your property? If they aren't and it bothers you then I would start hunting your property right at sunup and about an hour before dark. Stalk hunt. Hunt though, you wouldn't want to be guilty of hunter harassment. If they don't like you trouncing through the woods then they can move their stands and feeders elsewhere.
Posted By: Pwyse

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 12:41 AM

I wouldn’t like one hung on my property, but I don’t mind someone hunting the line. As long as they shoot it on their side of course. I’ve hunted the lines before. Especially if they have edges
Posted By: therealhojo

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Capt_harry
What are y’all’s feelings on hunting directly on the property lines?
My neighbors have 2 stands hung directly on my property line and another one hung on my property looking at a feeder on their property. How should I handle this?

If they are your neighbors, isn’t it their property line too?
Posted By: FreeStateHunter

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 12:47 AM

Aw man, they’re just hunting where their grandaddy did. They didn’t know. They thought they had permission. Used to not have to ask. Used to not be such a thing as property lines. Those aren’t your deer.

They’ll say something to that effect.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 12:51 AM

I have that scenario as we speak, totally disregarding my camp. Now, In the big scheme of things its just stupidity on their part because my normal activities will screw up their hunting. Its a 35-45 min ride for them to get to this particular box blind.

I setup a Gong, and three steel hostage targets along the fence line and opening morning of bow season I cut loose with an AR.

So far my cams show they haven’t came back until today but not to hunt. And, they are looking hard at my stuff !

Posted By: MC21

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 12:52 AM

Its their property they can hunt every square inch of it, as long as they are not shooting over to your side I don't see a problem.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 12:55 AM

The “problem” can originate when both parties see it just like mc21 says.

I have found hunters to think in supremacist terms and truly expect everone else to respect their hunting hours or stupid philosophical ideology like compound bows vs crossbows vs bows vs muzzle loaders….

NOT JOHNNYLOCO JACK, BETTER BRING EAR PLUGS ! My recreational activities include chainsawing, listening to music, and shooting.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 01:08 AM

That “hunter harassment” is a funny thing too. You setup next to someone’s chit, it ain’t harassment to be working or enjoying your own property
Posted By: BuckRidge17

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 01:29 AM

Be a good neighbor and get along. Introduce yourself and be friendly. They haven’t done anything wrong until they shoot one on your property. You could need their help one day or their permission to trail one onto their land that you shot. I would bring up the stand that’s on your property though but be cordial about it.
Posted By: Ray_Coon

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 01:39 AM

If their stand is on your property, even if they are shooting the line, it’s a problem. If the stand is on the line shooting their property, no issue.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ray_Coon
If their stand is on your property, even if they are shooting the line, it’s a problem. If the stand is on the line shooting their property, no issue.

Yup
Posted By: jbatey1

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 01:47 AM

If they are overlooking your property, that’s one thing, but if not, it just is what it is I guess.. Will they shoot a big buck if they happen to turn around and see one 50 yards onto your property? Probably.

I would try to introduce and make friends with them and hopefully ya’ll both can respect each other to be able to hunt lines while also trusting each other to do the right things.

If they are a prick about it, Id give them 2 doses of their own medicine.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 01:57 AM

Put this in the turkey section and compare results 🤣
Posted By: auman

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 01:57 AM

I got a ladder stand on the only suitable tree that happens to be on the property line. It is facing back over a narrow 20 acre field which is ours. My thinking was that my neighbors wouldn’t want me placing it on the other side of the field and shooting back into them. It’s thick behind me and not where I’m facing. Hasn’t been a problem but I always feel like it could be.
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 02:02 AM

Don’t like it but don’t have a problem if it’s facing away. We had one on it and facing ours…I took the ladder stand down and put it at the base of the tree…they got the message.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 02:03 AM

The target shooting is pretty funny Johnny Loco 😀
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 02:15 AM

The only thing that matters is IF their stand is on YOUR land, and do they shoot an animal on YOUR land. Anything else, just mind your own business.
Posted By: Ray_Coon

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by jb20

It’s the same for turkeys. I don’t like folks pushing up against the lines deer or turkey hunting, but they get to hunt every inch of their land just like I get to hunt every inch of mine. Once he gets to the line, He is fair game.

My neighbors have at least 2 fields on my line. Several times they have had a picture of a shooter buck or longbeard on those fields. Most of the time they kill the deer and I kill the turkey. Fair trade off in my book. Hunting is hunting.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by TDog93
The target shooting is pretty funny Johnny Loco 😀

The blind is 40 yards from my actual camp. Any serious hunter wouldn’t do that and reasonably expect not to be disturbed.

But then again, a serious hunter doesn’t sit in a box blind over a field, bait, or feeder.
Posted By: auman

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 02:28 AM

That’s a 10 4. I wouldn’t care if they hung one beside me facing back in their thicket. Be a good spot catching one coming to the field. Stand has been there few years so surely I would have heard any complaints by now.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
The “problem” can originate when both parties see it just like mc21 says.

I have found hunters to think in supremacist terms and truly expect everone else to respect their hunting hours or stupid philosophical ideology like compound bows vs crossbows vs bows vs muzzle loaders….

NOT JOHNNYLOCO JACK, BETTER BRING EAR PLUGS ! My recreational activities include chainsawing, listening to music, and shooting.

i agree , they can set on the line but im gonna do what i want or need to do .

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 03:16 AM

i dont want them trailing shot deer on my side and shooting . the agreement here is the gun stays at the line .
Posted By: deerhunt1988

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 03:19 AM

Put up several visible "No Tresspassing/Hunting " signs they'll have to stare at every time they look towards your property.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by deerhunt1988
Put up several visible "No Tresspassing/Hunting " signs they'll have to stare at every time they look towards your property.

Thats funny as hell. I put out orange road cones for over 500 yards along the fence line.

The worst part is when I went on the hunt for road cones, I discovered they are freakin everywhere like discarded water bottles.

I also put up the high dollar signs

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HK9VHT...psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

All visible from their blind
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by jb20

😝

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 10:41 AM

I thought property lines went away during Turkey season. Yeah it was the Piddling Act of 1926 that abolished them I believe.
Posted By: JohnG

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 10:42 AM

Put a couple cigarette butts and a cracker wrapper at the base of the tree.
Posted By: Ol’Tom

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by JohnG

This will F them up thumbup
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 02:49 PM

Johnny I don’t have a problem with your thoughts on this, wouldn’t matter if I didn’t agree with you, it’s your property. I respect the ideal of if you own/lease the property you have the right to do whatever it is you want to do. But I have seen some nice deer taken in high traffic, high activity areas. Me and a buddy killed one of the biggest deer from a piece of property cutting firewood.

But I am for knowing my neighbors. If they are disrespectful people I would make it hard for them to enjoy their seat next to me… if that stand is on my property that’s gonna be a problem
Posted By: Tree Dweller

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 03:04 PM

Was in a club in SC where the leaseholder put a shooting house right in a corner. Pretty soon the opposing landowner spoke to him and nicely asked him to move it.
I don't know if it was just the sight of it or what. The leaseholder immediately moved it, which was the wise thing to do. There was plenty of room.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 03:52 PM

Well maybe I'm not the only one hunting next to a pack of A-hole line hunters who blast everything they see......

Doesn't make me feel any better but sounds like I've got company.
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller

Well maybe I'm not the only one hunting next to a pack of A-hole line hunters who blast everything they see......

Doesn't make me feel any better but sounds like I've got company.

Leave us coonasses outa this!! rofl
Posted By: CNC

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 04:32 PM

Jesus said you're supposed to love your neighbor......just sayin
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 04:45 PM

I share a "creek" with an adjacent club. The boundary lines for our leases tend to cross back and forth, and we have agreed on the creek being the line. That said, if they shoot something that runs over on me, they let me know and vice versa. I talk to their guy every deer season via text, sometimes we share pic's and information. He seems nice enough.

My other adjacent landowner, I wouldn't pee on if he was on fire. I'll let the timber co handle him.

I would go talk to your neighbor. Give him your contact number and if he shoots something that runs back over on you, tell him to call you and you can meet him at the line to track it. Doesn't mean I wouldn't hang a couple cameras back there, but you might be surprised. Then again, he might be a total douche, but then at least you will know that upfront.
Posted By: CD

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by auman
I got a ladder stand on the only suitable tree that happens to be on the property line. It is facing back over a narrow 20 acre field which is ours. My thinking was that my neighbors wouldn’t want me placing it on the other side of the field and shooting back into them. It’s thick behind me and not where I’m facing. Hasn’t been a problem but I always feel like it could be.

That’s a nice consideration. I’ve got a situation where the neighbor has set up a shooting bench in a picked corn field and is shooting back towards a fence row that is the property line. I haven’t been able to check it out, but I do not think there is a sufficient backstop for their bullets. I just noticed it on Wednesday as I was leaving. I could hear some shooting, but didn’t know they were shooting towards me until I rode by and they were already gone.

As for hunting the line….I’m all for a person being able to hunt every inch of their property. Don’t shoot on me, and I won’t shoot on you.
Posted By: Okatuppa

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by JohnG

I like your style.
Posted By: BradB

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 06:29 PM

I ain’t gonna say a word on this one.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by BradB
I ain’t gonna say a word on this one.

rofl
Posted By: chill

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 07:56 PM

So if previous owner of my land sold off 2 acres and the new owner put a box blind six inches from the property with only one window facing your property and put a feeder 25 yards on your property? Not dealing with nice people. Not a good situation!
Posted By: daylate

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/20/23 11:43 PM

Gotta love neighbor feuds
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hawndog

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/21/23 12:47 AM

Many Ike’s that is the only safe way to hang a stand. Then hunter is shooting into their own property, not towards line.
Posted By: Tall Dog

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/21/23 02:10 AM

Now that’s funny brother marshmud 😁

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/21/23 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by chill
So if previous owner of my land sold off 2 acres and the new owner put a box blind six inches from the property with only one window facing your property and put a feeder 25 yards on your property? Not dealing with nice people. Not a good situation!

hell id have no problem dealing with it ...

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/21/23 12:58 PM

Just saying 2 acres would be fairly easy to high fence, problem solved. I have a similar 5 ac problem but my neighbor seems to be a good guy and is not blasting them off his porch. If I had even a hint he was I would do it in a heartbeat. And if I had to spend the money and time I would make sure the part next to his house, which is about 5-10 feet off the line, was about 10 feet of the ugliest chicken house tin I could find topped by concertina wire and maybe a few spotlights. Just so he would get the message that 5 acres ain’t a hunting property.
Posted By: cmontgomery

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/21/23 01:10 PM

Just saying 2 acres would be fairly easy to high fence, problem solved. I have a similar 5 ac problem but my neighbor seems to be a good guy and is not blasting them off his porch. If I had even a hint he was I would do it in a heartbeat. And if I had to spend the money and time I would make sure the part next to his house, which is about 5-10 feet off the line, was about 10 feet of the ugliest chicken house tin I could find topped by concertina wire and maybe a few spotlights. Just so he would get the message that 5 acres ain’t a hunting property.

Why does this neighbor not have the right to kill a deer on his property? This is what's wrong with hunting now. Everyone thinks all the deer and turkey belong to them. Unless you have thousands of acres those deer cross property lines all day.
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/21/23 01:17 PM

Just so he would get the message that 5 acres ain’t a hunting property.

There's a minimum acreage to be able to hunt deer? Where can I find this in the Alabama code?

Some of you deserve the absolute worst hunting neighbors imaginable...because the stuff you post makes you look like you're exactly what you complain about.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/21/23 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by hunterbuck
Just so he would get the message that 5 acres ain’t a hunting property.

There's a minimum acreage to be able to hunt deer? Where can I find this in the Alabama code?

Some of you deserve the absolute worst hunting neighbors imaginable...because the stuff you post makes you look like you're exactly what you complain about.

Yep
Posted By: Rainbowstew

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/21/23 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
Jesus said you're supposed to love your neighbor......just sayin

You can love em but your don't have to like em!

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/21/23 02:38 PM

Come on guys you can’t have it both ways. If he has the right to do anything he wants with every dam square inch of his property then the same thing applies to me. It is absolutely his legal right to pour out a big pile of corn in his yard and shoot them off his porch, just as it’s my legal right to put up a fence on my property.Luckily for me when the property in mine sold a year ago it was to a good guy. He has a blind and feeder out he sits some with his girls and has an invite to come over with the girls come season so they can actually see some deer. Now if he had turned out to be an arse things would be different. I may be a selfish bastage but as long as I had legal options I would not let anyone damage what I have spent 15 years and a stoopid amount of time, sweat and money building because of a mistake my Mom made 40 years ago. As my south neighbor would say, and he is even more of a selfish sob than me, “ If ya ain’t got skin in the game you shouldn’t be playing”

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/21/23 02:57 PM

I think its funny that guys go out and get in heated shooting houses with windows, recliners, and coffee makers and then bash a guy that sits on his back porch
Posted By: ALclearcut

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/21/23 04:03 PM

The reality is 95% of people hunting lines are going to shoot a 140" buck walking on the neighbors side. You are hunting your own property, until suddenly you are not when that buck shows up across the line or you have to blood trail him on someone else's land because he ran left instead of right. I'd rather avoid having to deal with that kind of dilemma and hunt where anything I can see is fair game.

The general exception to this is a stand on the line that is obviously facing a clear cut or green field on their own property. Sometimes there is nowhere else to put the stand and I'd rather have the neighbor shooting away from me than at me. More often than not though, the line hunters are folks whose timber company lease is overgrown with thick pines and they want to see down into the private land neighbors hardwoods.
Posted By: globe

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/21/23 04:06 PM

My issue with small house lots is the harvest Limits.
You think 3 bucks live on 2 acres? It’s not sustainable and it’s happening all across Alabama. People should be able to hunt their property absolutely, but with the same limits? Not in my opinion.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/21/23 05:08 PM

We have a neighbor who thinks he owns the whole community. When my parents bought a new piece of property that joins the farm here, I nailed a no trespassing sign to the tree on the line, that one of his ladder stands was attached to. The stand was set up facing the property that he had permission to hunt, but the stand was set up in a location to hunt a transition area on our place. Next time I went over there, the stand was gone.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/21/23 05:57 PM

I thought you weren't going to comment. slap
Posted By: Mdees

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/21/23 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by globe
You think 3 bucks live on 2 acres? It’s not sustainable and it’s happening all across Alabama. People should be able to hunt their property absolutely, but with the same limits? Not in my opinion.

Why would property size matter? If a licensed hunter is allowed 3 bucks, and takes them legally, I can’t see how it matters if they come off 2 acres or 2,000.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/21/23 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mdees
Why would property size matter? If a licensed hunter is allowed 3 bucks, and takes them legally, I can’t see how it matters if they come off 2 acres or 2,000.

That’s because you’re not the one that owns the 2,000 acres and have a neighbor with 2 acres and a booger light/corn pile.
I guarantee if any of you had invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in your property, you would feel the same way.
That goes for property line hunters, too.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/21/23 08:15 PM

How many acres does someone need for it to be ok to hunt??
Posted By: top cat

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/21/23 08:52 PM

The ol grass is always greener syndrome
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/21/23 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Okatuppa

That’s because you’re not the one that owns the 2,000 acres and have a neighbor with 2 acres and a booger light/corn pile.
I guarantee if any of you had invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in your property, you would feel the same way.

I bought a little under 300 acres 4 years ago with money that I scrimped and saved my whole life for. Wasn't family land I inherited or anything.

I don't feel that way.

If you're legal, you're legal.

There's a guy that owns about 10 acres on one of my borders. I'm sure he kills some deer that come over to his property off of mine. I don't care. I don't own the deer on my property...no one does.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/21/23 09:04 PM

when I was stationed in Greene Co I hunted some Banks land that touched Hwy 14 between Eutaw and the river bridge. Upper part was a north/south 80 parcel. I got a friend to let me off at the hwy and I stalk hunted my way south maybe 75 yards east of the west line. As I crossed an open oak flat I heard something, stopped, then started walking again. Guy yelled at me, I stopped and saw him up a tree stand on the property line/painted tree, facing my way. I walked closer and caught him yelling something about poaching. Poaching??? WTH, I told him I was on Banks property. He said Banks didn't own any property near there. Dumbass. I told him I was with the owner when we painted the lines on that damn tree he was in. He cussed my again and I told him to climb down and we'd settle it. He refused, so I walked off a few yards and sat at the base of a tree....for a couple of hours. LOL His club, behind him, was thick and our side was pretty open hardwoods. He was hunting our side.

A week or so later loggers from same property he was supposed to be on cut some of the Banks property so the line got surveyed. Turn out the tree he was in was 30 yards on Banks property. I went with the landowner to inform them of the survey results. Asshole from the tree stand was there but wouldn't make eye contact with me.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/21/23 09:19 PM

I don't much care until they shot across my land . I knew when they done the baiting thing people with small place would start putting up feeders
Posted By: Groundhawg

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/21/23 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by hunterbuck

I bought a little under 300 acres 4 years ago with money that I scrimped and saved my whole life for. Wasn't family land I inherited or anything.

I don't feel that way.

If you're legal, you're legal.

There's a guy that owns about 10 acres on one of my borders. I'm sure he kills some deer that come over to his property off of mine. I don't care. I don't own the deer on my property...no one does.

Well stated. As long as they are hunting legal what does it matter? Seems a lot of greedy folks here that worry way to much about what others are doing.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/21/23 10:04 PM

2,000 acres doesn’t buy you any more ownership of the deer than a guy with 5 acres has. It buys you about 400 more spots to choose from to hunt than the guy with 5 acres.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/21/23 10:43 PM

I’m not arguing over who “owns”’the deer.
What I’m against is some jackass putting a stand on the property line, even if it’s facing his side.
Or trying to hunt on a couple acres, because they are gonna be shooting towards the adjacent property 99%of the time.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/21/23 11:01 PM

Is 20 acres enough??.....How about 40??
Posted By: blade

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 12:39 AM

I put stands where deer are moving, feeding, etc. If that is on a property line, thats where i put it.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by ALclearcut
The reality is 95% of people hunting lines are going to shoot a 140" buck walking on the neighbors side. You are hunting your own property, until suddenly you are not when that buck shows up across the line or you have to blood trail him on someone else's land because he ran left instead of right. I'd rather avoid having to deal with that kind of dilemma and hunt where anything I can see is fair game.

The general exception to this is a stand on the line that is obviously facing a clear cut or green field on their own property. Sometimes there is nowhere else to put the stand and I'd rather have the neighbor shooting away from me than at me. More often than not though, the line hunters are folks whose timber company lease is overgrown with thick pines and they want to see down into the private land neighbors hardwoods.

This post sums it up very well, and your exception is something that bothers very few. That isn't the problem. And the thing is that 95% of those who put a stand on the line looking at someone else's property isn't just looking for a 140; they are gonna shoot anything they can. No legit hunter wants to hunt right on the line where there's a high probability of being messed up by a neighbor engaged in any sort of random activity. A legit hunter wants to get as far away from the chance of that happening as possible.

You can go most anywhere in the state and find stands on the line facing the other property. They aren't just "hunting every inch of my property." The purpose of putting the stand on the line is to shoot deer on the other property. And there's little chance of them being caught because they don't actually get on the other property until they go retrieve the deer, and even then they will claim they shot it on their side and the deer just ran across the line.

So it's a criminal act, but it's really hard to catch the offender, and be sure that they know it. Why deny it or defend it? You have chosen to be a criminal. Anyone who will poach a deer off a neighbor's property will commit any other crime. Just own it and be proud. Get a Boyd Crowder shirt, button it to the top, and tell them catch me if you can. smile
Posted By: turkey247

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 01:30 AM

This is extremely situational. Every situation is very different. However, most let emotions get involved and can’t have clarity of thought when dealing with it.

I’ve hunted the line many, many times. A road or firelane on my side of the line, fair game. A clearcut on my property- get in a line tree, hunt the clearcut, fair game. Bow hunting thinned pines close to a line, even catching deer coming from thicker stuff on the neighbor, fair game.

And of course, there’s situations where hunters have bad intentions. Take the clearcut example. If the difference from one property to the next is a fresh CC, and a five year old pine plantation. Well, I’ll gladly hunt the line when my side is fresh CC, and no issues at all when the role is reversed. Cause I’m not gonna climb on the line and pretend I’m hunting a five year old pine plantation when the neighbor has the fresh CC.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 02:24 AM

Whataloadofchit
Posted By: jono23

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 02:28 AM

People with more money and more land should definitely have more rights than the poors.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by jono23
People with more money and more land should definitely have more rights than the poors.

Better add the obligatory smiley face to your post or the thin skins are gonna cry.
Posted By: Jason Carroll

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 03:17 AM

Nothing I love better than hunting a fence line....
Posted By: 300gr

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 03:30 AM

What I’m against is some jackass putting a stand on the property line, even if it’s facing his side.
Or trying to hunt on a couple acres, because they are gonna be shooting towards the adjacent property 99%of the time.

I agree and if the stand is on the line and facing your property then they ARE hunting your property

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher

This post sums it up very well, and your exception is something that bothers very few. That isn't the problem. And the thing is that 95% of those who put a stand on the line looking at someone else's property isn't just looking for a 140; they are gonna shoot anything they can. No legit hunter wants to hunt right on the line where there's a high probability of being messed up by a neighbor engaged in any sort of random activity. A legit hunter wants to get as far away from the chance of that happening as possible.

You can go most anywhere in the state and find stands on the line facing the other property. They aren't just "hunting every inch of my property." The purpose of putting the stand on the line is to shoot deer on the other property. And there's little chance of them being caught because they don't actually get on the other property until they go retrieve the deer, and even then they will claim they shot it on their side and the deer just ran across the line.

So it's a criminal act, but it's really hard to catch the offender, and be sure that they know it. Why deny it or defend it? You have chosen to be a criminal. Anyone who will poach a deer off a neighbor's property will commit any other crime. Just own it and be proud. Get a Boyd Crowder shirt, button it to the top, and tell them catch me if you can. smile

yep ,,,,,
thumbup
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by jono23

People with toe-thumbs should have to pay double for a turkey license too. 👍🏽👍🏽
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 06:00 AM

Boyd style shirt buttoning only applies to turkey season
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by 300gr

I agree and if the stand is on the line and facing your property then they ARE hunting your property

Stop it with such common sense. This is aldeer

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 12:11 PM

Sorry AU I tried but just could not help myself lol CNC your porch/shooting house comparison is apples to oranges. A home is for living in a shooting house is for hunting. You’re really stretching on that one but the coffee maker is a great idea. And nobody has answered your question I will. I think about 20 acres is as small as I would consider a reasonable hunting property. Big enough there is a good chance a shot deer or bullet won’t cross the line and big enough there is food or cover for deer to actually live in and utilize. As far as rights go, the right is to hunt the deer of Alabama and rich or poor everyone’s right is the same. What differs is how that right can be utilized. And that is based on personal circumstances. Like anything else in life those with discretionary income can use it to get a superior hunting experience. Those who don’t can still hunt, they may just have to do it on the public land our tax dollars pay for or make friends with someone who has some dirt. Sorta like our right to work. Everyone has the right to work but some drive to work in a Ferrari and some take public transportation
Posted By: globe

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 12:54 PM

Years ago when doe days were only 4-5 days a season, clubs would get a biologist to come in and issue them special “doe tags”. On large heavily populated clubs, they might get an extra 50-75 tags to fill.
Wonder how many they would have issued for a 2 acre property?
If you think people shooting 3 bucks and 2-3 does on every house lot around is sustainable you’re mistaken. What kind of management is that?
Posted By: MGrubber

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
Is 20 acres enough??.....How about 40??

I have a 40 acre piece I hunt a little. I put in a food plot and feeder that are 40-50 yards from the property line. Only opening on the property. where an old field, garden behind the old house was. This property is thick and the lady who owns it will not allow me to clear any. This property is narrow and long. Its only 200 yards wide. As I said its thick, you can't see anything but the patch and feeder. Can't even think of seeing the property line or the neighbors property. The neighbor still bitches that I put the patch to close to the line. What the hell you supposed to do?

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 01:54 PM

In theory, legal baiting should reduce line hunting. Most hunters will attempt to draw the deer to the the middle of their property. The same psychology that convinces line hunters that the neighbor has all the deer will convince a corn hunter to want to draw the deer as far from the neighbors as possible.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 02:37 PM

Let me make this easier to understand for the folks that don’t own land.

Property line hunters are the equivalent of someone who lives in a subdivision that has a dog that barks constantly 24/7.
They have the right to have a dog, but it sure does impact all their neighbors.

The folks that try to hunt on a few acres are equivalent to the people who drive squatted trucks and can’t see what’s ahead of them. It’s obviously allowed by law, but when one of the idots runs over someone due to the poor visibility, the impacted party is gonna be pissed.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 02:46 PM

Property line hunters are the equivalent of someone who lives in a subdivision that has a dog that barks constantly 24/7.

The folks that try to hunt on a few acres are equivalent to the people who drive squatted trucks and can’t see what’s ahead of them. It’s obviously allowed by law, but when one of the idots runs over someone due to the poor visibility, the impacted party is gonna be pissed.

LOL!

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by 300gr

If the stand is on the line and facing THEIR property then they ARE NOT hunting your property!
Posted By: Mdees

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 03:50 PM

Years ago when doe days were only 4-5 days a season, clubs would get a biologist to come in and issue them special “doe tags”. On large heavily populated clubs, they might get an extra 50-75 tags to fill.
Wonder how many they would have issued for a 2 acre property?
If you think people shooting 3 bucks and 2-3 does on every house lot around is sustainable you’re mistaken. What kind of management is that?

That sounds a lot like public land. It can’t be managed like a large tract of private owned or leased land can because everybody is allowed to take their legal allotment from it. But are we upset that there are public tracts? I’m not UNTIL the state buys land real close to me(which they did) and make it open to everyone. Then everyone comes and kills whatever they can.
Having a few small parcel neighbors is a lot better than having a few hundred randoms who really won’t care about managing for a consistent herd.
Posted By: MC21

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 04:08 PM

So why exactly should someone not be allowed to shoot a deer from their porch or house? My great uncle owned and lived on 15 acres he had 8acres of crop fields that surrounded his house that he planted. He would shoot deer out of his kitchen window and off his porch. Never thought anything of it.

I also remember seeing a post on here about a guy who shot his first deer with a bow out of his back door. I thought it was pretty cool and I congratulated the guy.

So now I wonder is shooting a deer from your porch ok as long as you are not inside the house? Also does it matter what kind of weapon you use? If a guy who owns 5 acres only plans to bow hunt, is it now ok for him to use his property since you shouldn’t have to worry about a bullet crossing the line?

If someone sets up a ground blind on their porch is it now ok to shoot a deer off the porch as long as you are sitting on the blind? Same applies for if the blind is set up in the kitchen?

Lots of variables here.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Avengedsevenfold

Boyd style shirt buttoning only applies to turkey season

smile

Maybe. But I think property line deer hunters could learn a lot from Boyd. smile
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 07:43 PM

Rich people problems
Posted By: Boathand

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 08:09 PM

Some of these bitches on here have me wanting to go buy some property right next to them so I can shoot right on their line.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 09:49 PM

I guess I need to get a squatted truck since I hunt on 3 acres at the back of my 11 acres. Agree someone hunting property line with stand facing your property is stupid and it would piss me off as well. Hunting property line with the stand facing their property is 100% legal and would not bother me at all, have at it and I hope you kill a big one.

I am the small acre hunter that you would want for a neighbor. It's all about communication, when I moved in here I went and introduced myself to my neighbor behind me that hunted as well. He was shocked that I came and knocked on his door and told him I was planning on hunting my property and asked if it would be a problem, I know my property and I did not need to do that but I did. All he said was no shooting across his property line, I laughed and said DUH! He does not know that I let a big wide mature 6 point walk that I had in my sights at 50 yds because of the angle of the shot was getting too close to his house. If more hunters, neighbors would go knock on doors and introduce themselves their would not be allot these problems.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 11:28 PM

I have a hay field of @ 20 acres with another 10 being hardwood timber. All of the property lines are fenced as this area was once a cattle farm. I do not have a tree on my South boundary that I can put a stand on but my neighbor does. I can actually put my stand on a tree on the fence line that is behind the fence and once in the stand I am setting over my property. The land behind me is grown up cut over you couldn’t drive a skidder through so shooting or seeing a deer on that tract is out of the question. I told the landowner who is a friend of mine I wanted to put a stand on a tree of his. He told me no problem. He also told me I could hunt his if I wanted to. I told him I had all I needed and thanked him for letting me put a stand “over the line”.

On this same tract, a resident landowner has 2.5 acres and a trailer. He shares a North and South property line with me. He has a small opening next to my fence and a chair he sits in when he hunts. His chair was facing the green field we broke and planted this year last week when I went out to look at the field. Can’t seem to ever win them all. Win one and lose one. I don’t know if he would kill a deer on me or not, but I don’t want to have to find out.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rainbowstew

I guess I need to get a squatted truck since I hunt on 3 acres at the back of my 11 acres. Agree someone hunting property line with stand facing your property is stupid and it would piss me off as well. Hunting property line with the stand facing their property is 100% legal and would not bother me at all, have at it and I hope you kill a big one.

I am the small acre hunter that you would want for a neighbor. It's all about communication, when I moved in here I went and introduced myself to my neighbor behind me that hunted as well. He was shocked that I came and knocked on his door and told him I was planning on hunting my property and asked if it would be a problem, I know my property and I did not need to do that but I did. All he said was no shooting across his property line, I laughed and said DUH! He does not know that I let a big wide mature 6 point walk that I had in my sights at 50 yds because of the angle of the shot was getting too close to his house. If more hunters, neighbors would go knock on doors and introduce themselves their would not be allot these problems.
[Linked Image]

This is how it should be done. Thanks for the post.
Posted By: Hayzeus

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/22/23 11:40 PM

Y’all worried about the wrong things.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/23/23 01:26 AM

Rainbowstew, you are definitely the exception.
Sounds like you are a good neighbor. beers

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/23/23 01:38 AM

With all do respect, the problem you have has nothing to do with property line hunters or people that hunt small acreage. A person could hunt 100, 200, even 500 yards off your property line and still affect you the same way as hunting on the property line. Y’all are hunting the same deer. And someone hunting 300 acres next to you could affect you the same way as someone hunting 2 acres. It’s what size and age and how many deer they kill that affect you. Not where they hunt on their property or how many acres they hunt.

In other words, you would rather have a guy that hunts the property lines of his 10 acres in the middle of your 1000 acres and only shoots one 4.5 year old buck a year, than a guy hunting the center of 100 acres in the middle of your 1000 acres and shooting every thing he sees.

Owning land doesn’t make you any smarter or wiser or better than someone who doesn’t. People that lease land deal with the same issues as someone who owns land as far as neighbors are concerned.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/23/23 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Pwyse

With all do respect, the problem you have has nothing to do with property line hunters or people that hunt small acreage. A person could hunt 100, 200, even 500 yards off your property line and still affect you the same way as hunting on the property line. Y’all are hunting the same deer. And someone hunting 300 acres next to you could affect you the same way as someone hunting 2 acres. It’s what size and age and how many deer they kill that affect you. Not where they hunt on their property or how many acres they hunt.

In other words, you would rather have a guy that hunts the property lines of his 10 acres in the middle of your 1000 acres and only shoots one 4.5 year old buck a year, than a guy hunting the center of 100 acres in the middle of your 1000 acres and shooting every thing he sees.

Owning land doesn’t make you any smarter or wiser or better than someone who doesn’t. People that lease land deal with the same issues as someone who owns land as far as neighbors are concerned.

[Linked Image]

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/23/23 02:01 AM

How does anything that you typed relate to my post?
Might want to work on your reading comprehension.

CNC, don’t make me send 257 down your way. 😁

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/23/23 02:13 AM

Rainbowstew, you are definitely the exception.
Sounds like you are a good neighbor. beers

Thanks Okatuppa, I try my best to be a good neighbor.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/23/23 02:22 AM

Send him on.....I'll show him how to plant food plots. wink
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/23/23 03:06 AM

My neighbor shot 5 does on his family land actually hunting off it on the neighbors I have taken care of the last 6 years. Hopefully he doesn’t try it again this year or I’ll have to fix the problem. They use to own 50 acres now they have 3 and he shoots anything that shows itself I believe. I’ve spent the last 12 years getting the population back to where it should be and I won’t see it take a hit that bad again.
Posted By: Jdkprp70

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/23/23 03:37 AM

Dang

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/23/23 10:44 AM

How does anything that you typed relate to my post?
Might want to work on your reading comprehension.

My reading comprehension is just fine. I understand what you are saying in your post, what I typed was a rebuttal to your post showing how your post is ridiculous and doesn’t hold water. The one part I didn’t address was your safety concern about the small property guy shooting towards your property. That’s a silly concern. If you aren’t hunting your property line, you should be safe and sound on the interior of your property where the bullet is of no concern to you. And even if you are hunting your property line, when was the last time you heard of a person being shot that way? Yeah probably never because it doesn’t happen. People die in car accidents every day, but I don’t believe you ride a bike everywhere.

If you don’t understand how my rebuttal is related to what you posted, you are the one with a reading comprehension issue, not me brother.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/23/23 11:47 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: fireman176

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/23/23 12:24 PM

I have a piece of property that the line is the only trees able to support a stand. Both sides have been clear cuts. Neighbor has a stand facing his property, I have a stand facing mine, but we are a couple hundred yards apart. We talked about it and agreed, if one of our shot deer is trailed onto other property, we would work together and retrieve each other's deer. Better to have a good neighbor, than a pissed neighbor.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/23/23 03:27 PM

I bet if you took these folks who are opposed to the little guys hunting and gave them 10 acres bordered up to a big Macon or Bullock Co quail plantation they’d be hunting the hell out of it. laugh
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/23/23 03:44 PM

And they would decide there's too many does and start blasting everything they see.... but when you went by there and asked them what they were shooting at all the time... what would they say?......

If you answered "We only shoot 8 pointers "outside the ears" ..... you win a cookie.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/23/23 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
I bet if you took these folks who are opposed to the little guys hunting and gave them 10 acres bordered up to a big Macon or Bullock Co quail plantation they’d be hunting the hell out of it. laugh

Yup.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/23/23 04:23 PM

CNC if you keep it up, I’m gonna ride to Auburn with 257.

Pwyse, one thing I can comprehend from your posts is that you don’t have any experience in theses type situations.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/23/23 05:13 PM

Pwyse, one thing I can comprehend from your posts is that you don’t have any experience in theses type situations.

Wrong again. You are on a roll.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/23/23 05:18 PM

Wrong again. You are on a roll.

Yep

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/23/23 07:23 PM

CNC quit stirring the pot 🤣🤣🤣

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/23/23 08:41 PM

I thought that was the objective of this entire thread.
I’m using it for my own amusement at this point.
Posted By: blade

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/23/23 08:47 PM

Hahahaha, me too, Okatuppa. No one even commented on my comment tho. I gotta get better at agitating.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/23/23 11:07 PM

rofl

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/23/23 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by blade

Hahahaha, me too, Okatuppa. No one even commented on my comment tho. I gotta get better at agitating.

I really thought the barking dog/squatted truck analogy would draw em in, but I only got a couple bites.
This place ain’t what it used to be.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/23/23 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by blade

I really thought the barking dog/squatted truck analogy would draw em in, but I only got a couple bites.
This place ain’t what it used to be.

Dang… I tip my hat you. Well played Okatuppa, well played.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/24/23 12:50 AM

Dang… I tip my hat you. Well played Okatuppa, well played.

beers
Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/24/23 03:20 AM

The side of my property line that belongs to me is my problem. The other side is their problem. If the neighbor puts a ladder stand or whatever on a tree that is on the property line and facing his land I don’t mind. He just needs to understand my ladder stand on the same tree facing my land is not any of his concern neither.
Posted By: 300gr

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/24/23 08:03 PM

What if your neighbor puts up a high fence. Since nobody owns deer that changes once a fence is installed. Might as well own them since they are trapped.
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/24/23 08:16 PM

After reading back through this thread I made an educated decision over the weekend to move some stands around my 4 acre block in the deer hood. I hung 2 lock ons on one side and 2 ladder stands on the other side. Had to hang em on the property line bc I’m sure all my neighbors deer bed in the middle of my property. I left two ends of my property with no stands so the deer could pass freely through. I chose the location of my lock ons on the same side bc it borders a 2k acre block of wealthy owned and managed deer woods. Hung them so only I can manage to climb in them. The ladder stands were hung on a side that butts up to an elderly lady’s 100 acre block of untouched majestic forest. Should be a great season!
Posted By: Fishduck

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/24/23 08:28 PM

When hanging a stand on the property line, how do you keep the chain/strap on your side of the tree?

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/24/23 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Fishduck
When hanging a stand on the property line, how do you keep the chain/strap on your side of the tree?

I just use a drill and all thread.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/24/23 09:19 PM

That's easy, just drive some 12" spike nails through the chain and into the tree on your side of the line. Loggers and the mills really love it when you do that.
Posted By: Fishduck

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/24/23 09:21 PM

I just use a drill and all thread.

beers Instant credibility!!!!!!
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/25/23 09:49 PM

The only stand we have that way is a shooting house on a power line. Ours has no back window, so we cannot see onto the neighbors property. They had a stand there before ours but it is just a 2 man ladder looking down the property line (or if they look left onto our property). There is a barb wire fence on the line.

Never seen them hunt that stand.

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/25/23 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by sumpter_al
The only stand we have that way is a shooting house on a power line. Ours has no back window, so we cannot see onto the neighbors property. They had a stand there before ours but it is just a 2 man ladder looking down the property line (or if they look left onto our property). There is a barb wire fence on the line.

Never seen them hunt that stand.

Deer love walking fence lines
Posted By: eclipse829

Re: Hunting property lines - 10/26/23 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by CNC

I'd be interested in purchasing a couple of those 10 acre tracts you speak of...lol
© 2024 ALDEER.COM