Aldeer.com

Clover field

Posted By: aucivil

Clover field - 09/17/23 09:33 PM

Have a clover field that was lush and overflowing this spring. Summer took it's toll and now it's a bit sparse. I'm planning to over seed and fertilize in Oct as was recommended in a different thread. Was looking at the field and it has a pretty good mat from the dead clover amongst the remaining living plants.

Can't remove the mat without destroying the living plants. Will the over seeding work with the mat?
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Clover field - 09/17/23 09:44 PM

Over seeding will be helped by the mat. It'll hold moisture.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Clover field - 09/17/23 10:09 PM

Pretty good scary movie
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Clover field - 09/17/23 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by CarbonClimber1
Pretty good scary movie

Figured you for more of a “Children of the Corn” guy.

Re: Clover field - 09/17/23 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin

Guess the tiny clover seeds will find their way through the mat.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Clover field - 09/17/23 11:42 PM

Something like an aerator might be good to run across it before spreading seed
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Clover field - 09/17/23 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by aucivil
Originally Posted by FurFlyin

Guess the tiny clover seeds will find their way through the mat.

Drag a log over it, or a disk with the angle taken out, after the seed is spread. Did the clover that's planted, make seed? If so, you probably don't have any need to over seed. I guess that depends on what type of clover it is.

Re: Clover field - 09/18/23 09:57 AM

Imperial Whitetail Clover - Planted a year ago and was very lush this spring. Flowed out well. Plan to hit it with 0-20-20 before a heavy rain in early Oct.
Posted By: jacannon

Re: Clover field - 09/18/23 11:48 AM

It spreads from the roots and doesn't produce much seed. August was always rough on my white clover especially in sandy soil. It does like some shade .

Re: Clover field - 09/18/23 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by jacannon
It spreads from the roots and doesn't produce much seed. August was always rough on my white clover especially in sandy soil. It does like some shade .

Got some sandy soil too. Did it bounce back or did you have to replant/over-seed?
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Clover field - 09/18/23 07:57 PM

I have the same issue. I usually always see a thickening up of whitetail and durana clover in the fall. However, the amount of browse pressure I see in the whitetail fields leads me to believe its something you should seed annually.

Here is why I say that. From my camera shots, my deer tend to hit Whitetail clover several times a day, and often stay for an hour feeding. When you are talking about a food source that is essentially there all year lonog, the cost of reseeding it isn't that significant given the benefit of having food there all the time that is high in protein. If you have alot of turkeys, then you probably have to reseed it. Where I have been the most successful with Whitetail clover is where I add some seed to it every fall. Hot summers with low rainfall just take their toll on it.
Posted By: jacannon

Re: Clover field - 09/18/23 08:59 PM

WE built my sons cabin in an old duranna plot and after 10 years there is a thick patch of clover on the North side in the shade. We just mow it a few times a year and it gets the water off the cabin. Clover is the bomb.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Clover field - 09/19/23 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by 3FFarms
Originally Posted by CarbonClimber1
Pretty good scary movie

Figured you for more of a “Children of the Corn” guy.

It is a classic🤓
© 2024 ALDEER.COM