Aldeer.com

Mid-Day Hunting

Posted By: wilcobuck

Mid-Day Hunting - 01/14/23 04:32 PM

Anyone ever have any success middle of the day? I’ve always heard to sit from 10-2 if you want to kill a big one but it typically starts to warm up and the wind picks up after 10am, so I’ve generally always headed back to camp around 10 for the morning hunts.

Those that have been successful, what is your strategy mid-day? What types of terrain/areas do you hunt? I’m sure a cutover is probably ideal that time of day.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Mid-Day Hunting - 01/14/23 04:44 PM

It's been my best time.. I've killed em in big fields and woods at lunch...2nd best is a daybreak for me
Posted By: staticflownut

Re: Mid-Day Hunting - 01/14/23 04:52 PM

Maybe it’s just the places that I hunt, but I see the least movement by far between 12:00-2:00.
Posted By: MarkCollin

Re: Mid-Day Hunting - 01/14/23 04:52 PM

The odds of killing something go way down once you leave
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Mid-Day Hunting - 01/14/23 05:16 PM

I’ve seen more big deer from 8-3:00 than any other time. Last 15 minutes of daylight would be second.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Mid-Day Hunting - 01/14/23 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by MarkCollin
The odds of killing something go way down once you leave

Yep no doubt. I’ve killed a pile of big bucks morely from 10-1. I’ve killed them just about anywhere you can think of killing them. If I’m doing a mid day sit I try to sit somewhere I can see a lot and cover some ground. I don’t have the patience to sit and look at one little opening all day
Posted By: BamaPlowboy

Re: Mid-Day Hunting - 01/14/23 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hevishot13
I’ve seen more big deer from 8-3:00 than any other time. Last 15 minutes of daylight would be second.
Posted By: Turkey Petter

Re: Mid-Day Hunting - 01/14/23 11:15 PM

I like to hunt 12 - dark after three or four nights of a full moon. During the rut, find a good bottleneck where you can see a great deal.
Posted By: Broadhead26

Re: Mid-Day Hunting - 01/15/23 02:46 AM

I killed a decent one last year at like 1pm. Drove almost two hours to the club so I Hunted the morning, then went to bojangles for early lunch and decided to just go back to the woods at 1230 instead of sitting in my truck for a nap.

About 30 min of sitting and I hear something crashing through the woods headed my way. Nice Six point stopped about 20yds away and I let loose and he was DRT. Immediately climb down and as I was walking up, two random dogs came running up. Guess neighbors dogs got out and scared the deer out of bedding. Goes back to the whole, “you can’t kill them from home”. Chances are way down during mid day, but sh!t happens and you never know. I end up killing more on days and times that I don’t think I’ll see a thing.
Posted By: BigEd

Re: Mid-Day Hunting - 01/15/23 04:15 AM

Killed my best bucks between 9:00 and 1:00.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Mid-Day Hunting - 01/15/23 01:02 PM

During the rut 10-2 by far my favorite time to sit.
Posted By: brushwhacker

Re: Mid-Day Hunting - 01/15/23 08:13 PM

For me Cold cloudy maybe little drizzle good day to hunt all day. Sunny days not so unless rutting time. After heavy rains soon as it stops next few hrs best time be in woods no matter what time of day
© 2024 ALDEER.COM