Aldeer.com

Rattling

Posted By: Madmax0818

Rattling - 11/05/22 12:11 AM

Who has legit rattled in bucks in alabama? I’ve done it twice back when I was younger and for some reason got away from it. I plan on trying it again this year. I know it’s all about timing but honestly believe it does work around here too.
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Rattling - 11/05/22 12:17 AM

I've done it a couple of times on smaller bucks. All Depends on the deer and timing I guess.
Posted By: blade

Re: Rattling - 11/05/22 12:25 AM

I have. Couple of wall hangers included. Way more confident rattling than grunting, although i have one on the wall from grunting as well.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Rattling - 11/05/22 12:28 AM

I've rattled in several, killed a couple big uns.
Posted By: 3bailey3

Re: Rattling - 11/05/22 12:32 AM

zero on both, but I live in Ms.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Rattling - 11/05/22 12:47 AM

I've rattled in 2 mature bucks over the years and killed one. Its was January 4th and 15 mph winds.
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Rattling - 11/05/22 12:47 AM

I have done it. There is about a 2 week window here at the house that they will respond to it
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: Rattling - 11/05/22 12:50 AM

I rattled in a nice once one time taking a Summit tree stand off a tree. I thought he was going to run me over. Crazy!
Posted By: JohnG

Re: Rattling - 11/05/22 12:52 AM

IP land coffeeville, early eighties. Stalk hunting and while slipping through the woods found my first shed. Had heard about rattling so gave it a shot by using the barrel of my shotgun as the other side. A little three point came in to see what was up. I was one happy kid.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Rattling - 11/05/22 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Teacher One
I rattled in a nice once one time taking a Summit tree stand off a tree. I thought he was going to run me over. Crazy!

Lol I had a young buck come to me putting a treestand on one time…I ain’t ever really had a proven sequence of rattling although I’ve done it every year sporadically during rut and i did kill one but can’t say for sure if he heard it or just cruising thru cuz it was about 10 mins after I did it
Posted By: Okatuppa

Re: Rattling - 11/05/22 12:56 AM

I have. It’s amazing how they can pinpoint the location.
Almost had to shoot one in self defense because I was standing on the ground beside a tree and he came directly to me from my right side which was blocked by the tree. We were in 2-3 year old clearcut and I never knew he was in the world til he stepped on a limb about 30 feet from me. This was around lunchtime during a full moon in January.
My cousin was with me for that one and we still say that was the best hunt we’ve ever had.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Rattling - 11/05/22 01:36 AM

Never work for me , more harm than good .
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Rattling - 11/05/22 01:37 AM

Tried it steadily for a decade in all kinds of weather and different times of season. Not once did I ever have any luck at all. Never even saw a deer. Haven’t picked up a set of horns in well over a decade and don’t plan to again.
Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: Rattling - 11/05/22 02:16 AM

I have some. Set up is critical. I think most people spook the deer and never even know it. They will almost always circle down wind.
Posted By: DeerNutz0U812_

Re: Rattling - 11/05/22 02:37 AM

Anytime I see a buck this time of year I always try and check his temperature....If he is a good ways out I hit the horns to get his attn....If he stops, tickle them a little and pick up your grunt....Play with them a little when you see them, Some areas of the country deer respond different, in other words what I mean is that I've hunted different areas and states, and in some cases and places they can be very vocal and sometimes not( No response)...Does grunting at their little ones sound different, sometimes bucks will come in right to a short quiet grunt just looking for another deer...I had one hear my grunt call one morning after I seen him and he immediately bristled up and start rubbing trees pissed off...I had my back to a gas line ROW, where I could shoot out to 30yds or so but I was tucked in the woods on the top of the same ridge where I could see down the ridge and shoot out to 40 or so a pretty nice 7 pointer crossed over the top of the ridge I was sitting on one morning and I hit that little grunt call to see what he would do, well. he heard the grunt and changed course and started picking his way right to me, he stopped a couple of times while I was playing with him and all of a sudden he blew up and started walking stiff legged right to me, right under the tree I was in and walked right past me... shocked licking his nose repeatedly all bristled up and thats when I said WTH.... laugh... I looked behind me then and seen what had gotten his attn...It was another buck slipping up that ROW, unbeknownst to me.....Well the buck in the ROW seen the buck standing under my stand and he bristled up too....It was on then....They went straight to each other and clashed antlers and fought for about no more than 30 seconds...split up and walked away from each other in different direction..... crazy I sat there and thought" Damn Andrew, you just caused that little fight there cause if I hadn't of grunted and got the one bucks attn he would have just walked on over that ridge like he was going and they would have never seen each other....lol....Anyway, That was a pretty cool experience even though I never shot an arrow.....
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Rattling - 11/05/22 03:04 AM

When the craze started I sold the heck out of antlers. Lol
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Rattling - 11/05/22 03:14 AM

Small bucks
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Rattling - 11/05/22 03:41 AM

I was trying to rattle up a buck I let walk out of sight huge 7pt out of range for the bow in the rut. Few minutes later there’s a nice 8 looking for the other bucks but he didn’t come into range either and wasn’t nearly as big.
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Rattling - 11/05/22 06:08 AM

In certain times of the year it can be productive. I have had some luck over the years. I use it kind of like a Hail Mary though.
Posted By: RCHRR

Re: Rattling - 11/05/22 08:31 AM

Noda on either. Tried both for several years.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Rattling - 11/05/22 12:17 PM

I hav w grunt - never any luck w horns - got to where I stopped doing the horns and do not grunt as often

I did hav a good friend in Arkansas that told me he and his brother got to wrestling in the woods as teenagers after a hunt and said a buck ran in on em to check it out
Posted By: jake5050

Re: Rattling - 11/05/22 12:32 PM

I rattled in 2 bucks at Oak Mountain back when all of the browse was gone shoulder high in the early 2000's. After my morning Hunt I had another hunter coming walking up who was on another hill from me say " man I thought 2 bucks were fighting like hell over here". The hunting there was good back then
Posted By: Antelope08

Re: Rattling - 11/05/22 01:57 PM

I have had more luck with a grunt than rattling, a buddy of mine swears by it though......I think if the time is right and they are on the prowl it will work anywhere.....when I first started hunting, I tried rattling and had deer blow at me on numerous occasions, so I kind of backed off on it after that....
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Rattling - 11/05/22 03:48 PM

I have rattled in several dozen bucks of all sizes, from the start of bow season to the end of gun season, you just have to adjust your loudness and cadence to the season. Killed several wall hangers doing it.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Rattling - 11/05/22 03:48 PM

same with a grunt call, I NEVER go bow hunting w/o TWO grunt calls.
Posted By: AlabamaSwamper

Re: Rattling - 11/05/22 09:34 PM

In Tennessee more than I can count. Killed a few of them.

Right at daylight

Can’t say I’ve ever tried rattling in Alabama but I’d be confident if I decided to.

Two best times is late September early October late in the evening just tickling them and the last week of November through December 5 loud enough to hear across the county.
Posted By: PYhunter

Re: Rattling - 11/07/22 02:06 AM

Had several respond through the years but only killed one.

The one I killed was 3 years ago. It was right around the end of January and I was hunting an area that had a bunch of wateroaks that were still dropping a few acorns. About 4PM I got a pic of a big 9 pt off of a camera that was 200 yards from me. The deer wasn't headed my way so I grabbed a rattle bag out of my pack and rattled as loud as possible for a full 5 minutes. Around 20 minutes later I heard a little noise in the thicket on the downwind side of me and then the 9 pt. popped out and gave me a 15 yard shot. I put a Rage through him and watched him flop. It had been thundering in the distance the whole time and the bottom fell out shortly after he hit the ground.

I always have that rattle bag and a good grunt call with me now.
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Rattling - 11/07/22 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ar1220
I have done it. There is about a 2 week window here at the house that they will respond to it

This has been my experience as well
Posted By: Ol' Skinny

Re: Rattling - 11/07/22 04:40 PM

Yes on grunting ... killed several and had the opportunity to see more... No on rattling, zero, zilch, nadda ....
© 2024 ALDEER.COM