Aldeer.com

I am done with these SOA Hunts

Posted By: Baybuzzard

I am done with these SOA Hunts - 09/11/22 07:05 PM

It appears that I can't register for the SOA hunts. I just turned 65, therefore cannot purchase a wildlife management area permit. I tried using my last years conservation ID number, but would not accept it. This after going through all the trouble of scrolling back and forth through 15 pages of hunts and then they reject my registration because I CAN'T REGISTER BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE A WMA PERMIT. How do you register if you can't buy one due to being 65 or older? They need to fix these issues with this system or else abolish the whole program.
Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: I am done with these SOA Hunts - 09/11/22 08:08 PM

First I heard you can’t buy a WMA license at 65.
Edited: Dumb question have you tried to buy a WMA permit online or at a store?
Posted By: JT124

Re: I am done with these SOA Hunts - 09/11/22 08:17 PM

Section 9-11-45
License to hunt on wildlife management areas; fee; violations.

(b) ... the license established by this section shall not be required of any Alabama resident who is 65 years of age or older or who is less than 16 years of age.
Posted By: Clem

Re: I am done with these SOA Hunts - 09/11/22 08:40 PM

So, they say you don't need a WMA permit to hunt due to your age. But they require you to have a WMA permit in order to register for a "random" draw hunt (that you probably won't be drawn for at least for 3-4 years).

Sounds about right.
Posted By: Snuffy

Re: I am done with these SOA Hunts - 09/11/22 08:44 PM

I think what your going to need is a game check help number. They are free. I’m also 65 and had to get one to register for the Sandhill crane hunt.
Posted By: thayerp81

Re: I am done with these SOA Hunts - 09/11/22 08:45 PM

You just need to go to the website where you buy licenses and l get a free a H.E.L.P. Number, it doesn’t cost anything. Once you “buy” that privilege you will be able to register. It also gives you a piece of paper to record your kills.

Re: I am done with these SOA Hunts - 09/11/22 09:00 PM

Thanks for the above posts. I will get the free H.E.L.P. number, then attempt to register with that.

From the Outdoor Alabama website license purchase page:

- Residents 65 and over are EXEMPT from purchasing recreational hunting, freshwater fishing, saltwater fishing, WMA licenses and state duck stamp.

Looks like there is an option if you really want to apply for these hunts:

Purchase Optional Expires Cost
Optional Res 65 Plus All Game Hunting Optional Res 65 Plus All Game Hunting 08/31/2023 $30.25

Re: I am done with these SOA Hunts - 09/11/22 09:08 PM

OK folks, I just "purchased" a free Game Check HELP number. Now for the fun of re-registering scrolling back & forth the 15 pages of hunts. Will let ya'll know how it goes.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: I am done with these SOA Hunts - 09/11/22 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Baybuzzard
OK folks, I just "purchased" a free Game Check HELP number. Now for the fun of re-registering scrolling back & forth the 15 pages of hunts. Will let ya'll know how it goes.

You can just search for the ones you want

Re: I am done with these SOA Hunts - 09/11/22 10:39 PM

Well I did get registered for the SOA hunts. Thanks for all ya'lls help. ALdeer is such a blessing thumbup
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: I am done with these SOA Hunts - 09/12/22 02:55 AM

Crap. So I wonder if you really need to buy the WMA license to register or can u use the HELP number. I already bought the Wma licenses so it’s a moot point but for future reference it would be good to know. It would save me about $45 for the wife and myself.
Posted By: Snuffy

Re: I am done with these SOA Hunts - 09/12/22 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by bamaeyedoc
Crap. So I wonder if you really need to buy the WMA license to register or can u use the HELP number. I already bought the Wma licenses so it’s a moot point but for future reference it would be good to know. It would save me about $45 for the wife and myself.

If you are younger than 65 you MUST buy a management area license.

Re: I am done with these SOA Hunts - 09/12/22 10:44 AM

The commissioner has been warned before that Section 65 of our state constitution forbids lotteries for any purpose. He used to require participants to pay registration fees in advance for his alligator lottery. Having to pay anything in advance to be allowed to participate and then standing a chance of losing it and not being one of the chosen few to participate in a hunt would meet the definition of a lottery.

The commissioner's lawyer, Charlanna Skaggs, is experienced in defending illegal gambling operations. That may be one reason why she was chosen to represent the commissioner.
Posted By: M48scout

Re: I am done with these SOA Hunts - 09/12/22 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by JT124

The commissioner has been warned before that Section 65 of our state constitution forbids lotteries for any purpose. He used to require participants to pay registration fees in advance for his alligator lottery. Having to pay anything in advance to be allowed to participate and then standing a chance of losing it and not being one of the chosen few to participate in a hunt would meet the definition of a lottery.

The commissioner's lawyer, Charlanna Skaggs, is experienced in defending illegal gambling operations. That may be one reason why she was chosen to represent the commissioner.

Welcome back 49er!

Re: I am done with these SOA Hunts - 09/12/22 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by M48scout
Welcome back 49er!

Howdy. But as long as Sykes is helping pay the bills here, it won't last long at all. They don't want to hear the truth about their shenanigans. Censorship will prevail.

Are you in cahoots with them too?

Re: I am done with these SOA Hunts - 09/12/22 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Snuffy
If you are younger than 65 you MUST buy a management area license.

Snuffy, they key words in the currently published "proposed" rule are "successful applicants". Successful applicants are required to have those licenses, not the losers. Otherwise, the process would violate Section 65 of our state constitution.

The current amended version of the wma rule since extensive changes were made this year remains unpublished in violation of the law. The version of the rule available on the commissioner's website is obsolelte.
Posted By: M48scout

Re: I am done with these SOA Hunts - 09/12/22 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by M48scout
Welcome back 49er!

Howdy. But as long as Sykes is helping pay the bills here, it won't last long at all. They don't want to hear the truth about their shenanigans. Censorship will prevail.

Are you in cahoots with them too?

No Eddie, I’m just some guy. I’m just poking at you. Keep after em
Posted By: Nightwatchman

Re: I am done with these SOA Hunts - 09/12/22 06:16 PM

I brought that up to my representative when the SOA's first came out...pretty much got laughed at...I read an article one time where a guy sued the Georgia DNR over the alligator Tag "Lottery" and won the case.

I wish we could win something like that here and all SOA's would become actual public land
© 2024 ALDEER.COM