Aldeer.com

Unfortunate finds

Posted By: demp17

Unfortunate finds - 03/29/22 01:06 PM

Not sure what’s going on where i hunt in paint rock valley but my son and I found 3 dead bucks Turkey hunting Sunday afternoon. One was in a creek that runs year round, 1 was about 500 yards away up the creek just off it and the other was about 400 yards from them in a cedar thicket. I chased the big 9 all year, have a ton of daylight pics of him and almost killed him with my bow. My son named him El Niño and we tried hard to kill him but never could close the deal. Son did have a chance on the busted G2 buck but couldn’t get a shot.

Weird thing is this is in one holler, everywhere else I’ve hunted I haven’t found any dead deer.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]imageupload

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]create image url
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Buck_TrackingAL

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/29/22 01:11 PM

Well that sucks, at least you got the horns.
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/29/22 01:20 PM

Wonder if someone gut shot them?
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/29/22 01:26 PM

wow. cool pic though
Posted By: LetOff

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/29/22 01:27 PM

Man that sucks bro. The only good thing about that is, you wont be wondering where they at next year. Maybe they bread some good future bucks for your boy and you.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/29/22 01:42 PM

That sucks

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/29/22 01:55 PM

Not real sure what could have happened. I highly doubt they were poached as the area they are in is nasty steep mountains, no fields for miles in any direction. My guess is they’ve been dead since March 1, all that was left was rib cage and head. I hunted the area until season closed and I don’t know of anyone who shot one. There is a large pack of yotes that run that area and may have taken the bucks down after rut but I’m not sure. They all looks as if they died in the same timeframe. Not sure if diseases or maybe a lightening strike hit the area they were in but none of the deer were that close to each other. The big 8 I found under a large tree in a mountain run off, he may have tried to cross when that water was swift and got pinned under but that’s just a guess
Posted By: crocker

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/29/22 03:16 PM

That is tough. I found several dead myself in central alabama this year. One died in late August and the others were late deer season. Hurts to let them get mature and then end that way.
Posted By: pcola4

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/29/22 03:29 PM

Nice bucks!
Posted By: Thread Killer

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/29/22 03:31 PM

Yea that sucks dying that way but like others said, at least you got the antlers. Kinda makes me think about that movie title No Country for Old Men.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/29/22 03:35 PM

All of those are nice! Sucks not knowing how they died.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/29/22 05:39 PM

Fsng
Originally Posted by foldemup
All of those are nice! Sucks not knowing how they died.

For sure
Posted By: johnv

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/29/22 06:04 PM

Its been 7 or 8 years ago but I found dead deer all in the creek on my dads land and saw several deer in several different ponds dead. Figured that was blue tongue
Posted By: jb20

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/29/22 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by johnv
Its been 7 or 8 years ago but I found dead deer all in the creek on my dads land and saw several deer in several different ponds dead. Figured that was blue tongue

I know of a 160 n 140 something found in a pond around that time frame
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/29/22 07:00 PM

Yep, they seek water but it's not the right time of year for EHD.
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/29/22 07:45 PM

Hate to see them die from something other than a hunter but on the bright side at least you found them before the squirrels got to them.
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/29/22 08:21 PM

Well at least you still got hands on them. Really hate that you didn't get them thru hunting them. Oh well. Great bucks for sure.

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/29/22 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by abolt300

Agreed and it’s why I’m clueless as how they could have died. They were all in about a 20 acre area and look to have died around the same time based off how I found them. The 2 big 9s I found were in the same area I’ve had pictures of them since early November.

I’ll be back in the woods this weekend if baseball don’t get in the way so I’m gonna look around some more. At least one more really good buck used that area. Hopefully he made it.
Posted By: hallb

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/29/22 09:19 PM

Man, hate to see that. That picture of the 9 jumping over the rock is really great!
Posted By: CNC

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/29/22 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by demp17
Originally Posted by abolt300

Agreed and it’s why I’m clueless as how they could have died. They were all in about a 20 acre area and look to have died around the same time based off how I found them. The 2 big 9s I found were in the same area I’ve had pictures of them since early November.

I’ll be back in the woods this weekend if baseball don’t get in the way so I’m gonna look around some more. At least one more really good buck used that area. Hopefully he made it.

I tracked two different bucks for a guy this past season that were both shot out of the same stand. They both went over 500 yards to the same exact ridge side over looking a creek bottom where they apparently liked to bed. I've had similar situations like that happen quite a few times over the years tracking for folks on the same properties. I would bet those deer got injured somehow either through fighting or getting shot and they retreated back to their safe spot.
Posted By: wk2hnt

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/29/22 10:24 PM

Did you happen to look at the hooves on the carcasses you found? The reason I ask is deer that have had ehd and got over it sometimes have broken or missing or otherwise messed up feet which can cause them to get run down especially during their travels during the rut. I’m asking because I also hunt in Jackson county and saw my buddy kill one during bow season with hooves that looked like the where peeling and was told that’s a sign the deer had ehd and had gotten over it. Saw another somewhat mature deer killed late January and his feet were so bad I don’t know how he was walking. I’m no biological expert by any stretch but if they had had ehd and gotten over it but had bad feet then the rut stress could have made them vulnerable to coyotes or other things. Just a guess on my part
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/29/22 10:25 PM

Maybe age them and see if they may have died from old age after being worn down from the rut.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/29/22 10:33 PM

They might check them for CWD
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/29/22 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by wk2hnt
Did you happen to look at the hooves on the carcasses you found? The reason I ask is deer that have had ehd and got over it sometimes have broken or missing or otherwise messed up feet which can cause them to get run down especially during their travels during the rut. I’m asking because I also hunt in Jackson county and saw my buddy kill one during bow season with hooves that looked like the where peeling and was told that’s a sign the deer had ehd and had gotten over it. Saw another somewhat mature deer killed late January and his feet were so bad I don’t know how he was walking. I’m no biological expert by any stretch but if they had had ehd and gotten over it but had bad feet then the rut stress could have made them vulnerable to coyotes or other things. Just a guess on my part

Way I understand it the hooves will look like that after they survive it. The next year they'll be long and hollowed out. Way it was here few years back
Posted By: mauvilla

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/30/22 06:51 AM

Damn that sucks
Posted By: G/H

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/30/22 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by jb20
That sucks
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Unfortunate finds - 03/31/22 03:27 AM

I shot big doe w bow that had feet/hoves curving up like slippers - recovered from ehd
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Unfortunate finds - 04/01/22 02:34 AM

Natural rut related mortality is way higher than some folks realize.

Re: Unfortunate finds - 04/01/22 02:59 AM

^^^
I agree
Posted By: DeerNutz0U812_

Re: Unfortunate finds - 04/01/22 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by G/H
Originally Posted by jb20
That sucks

Yeah it does.... frown But....... Its also cool as heck you and little man stumbling around bumping into em and getting them either way....But man demp thanks for posting those pics...... cool as much as I hate it for them I appreciate em for what they were....If that makes any sense to ya.....Im sure it does.....In those rough mountains during the rut they'll roll up and down them big bluffs and rocks fighting.....No telling how they went down but I cant wait to see how you display them..... wink
Posted By: DeerNutz0U812_

Re: Unfortunate finds - 04/01/22 04:42 AM

Got a friend of mine that killed his biggest in Bama around 6 yrs ago 150 inch 11 pointer.....running late that morning dropping his 83 yr old dad off and walking him in...then walking his FL in and got him settled....Blistering hot that morning for the rut that yr too.......anyway he was almost to his tree and heard splashing coming down the creek straight towards him......said he heard the deer coming a good ways off and watched him for 2 or 3 hundred yds just splashing and grunting and cooling off dipping down in deep spots panting...couldnt pull a shot off due to the deer jumping out of the creek dead away in some thick stuff and chased a doe off and up and down and around them ridges for another hour...lol.....He got so hot again went to the creek to cool off..........He shouldnt have done that my buddy got him that time then lol.....

Re: Unfortunate finds - 04/01/22 05:50 PM

Definitely no easy explanation for 3 really nice deer all dead within the same 20 acre area. I do know the 9 point went hard from 11/25 to mid January chasing does. I’ve never had a deer on cam as much as him during daylight and not killed. He just had my number. However he was dead in the area i knew he bedded in. The busted up 9, I had one picture of, he was within his bedding range I would guess as well as we found him pretty close to where I thought he bedded and close to where my son almost shot him. I only have 1 picture of the big 8 and he was probably 1/2 mile off from where I found him so I know he was doing some serious traveling in those mountains.

My son and I plan on trying to come up with a cool display for them if I ever get time to clean the skulls up. Pretty cool experience overall finding all them, almost smoked a turkey in the process but he decided the bench above us was better than the one we were on.
Posted By: Antlerfluke

Re: Unfortunate finds - 04/03/22 01:33 AM

I hate that for you... I hate it for anyone that hunts hard and passes up immature bucks! There are some people; a few with very big presence on social media (Facebook administrator with an Alabama Facebook page) that preaches that you need to have WAAAAY more does than bucks and I just don't think that's good advice biologically. In a more balanced sex ratio, bucks breed all the does and then they can get back to surviving, sleeping and eating. When the sex ratio is off, bucks will forgo food, water and sleep to chase does for days... really, for months!!!!

I don't know why those bucks died of course, but I sure hate that for you!! Rut fatigue? I can't figure out another reason why those bucks died.

Also, those bucks dying is an example that nothing is guaranteed. If you're passing up a 4.5 yr or a 5.5 yr old, that buck may not make it to the next year. And no, I don't apply that consideration to a 3.5 yr old as I'd never shoot a known 3.5 yr old and don't like to shoot 4.5 yr olds. But anyway, thanks for sharing and I hope you're able to display those bucks in a way they deserve!!! You're a good sportsman!!!

Re: Unfortunate finds - 04/03/22 03:40 PM

MBrock mentioned it here the other day and I agree - I think more deer die from fighting than u think. I got coyotes every jan and Feb that start hammering this one traditional scrape keeping eye on it - I think some deer that get decently wounded may get finished off by the dogs - mine are hunting hurt deer I believe. I hd 2 studs on this lease my first year here - 120-125 range - never saw them again - no telling what happened to them - often wonder if they did each other in
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Unfortunate finds - 04/09/22 12:17 AM

I have no idea why they died but I’d be hunting that 20 acres this year.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM