Aldeer.com

Weather change coming

Posted By: 2Dogs

Weather change coming - 12/28/21 12:46 AM

Huntsville weather said we may get snow Sunday PM on the tail of the front coming through. I'll be a game changer. This weeks weather is like ( I believe ) '95 when it was plum hot and humid this very same week. Nobody was killing any , some weren't even seeing any. This when our rut is normally rocking . A front came through , temps fell like a rock behind it along with a couple inches of snow. The next few days was a blood bath! I believe there was more big bucks killed the 3 days following that front than the whole rest of the season. Hang on hunters in the top right corner , the gate is about to be swung open!
Posted By: top cat

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 12:59 AM

Hate to do it but may have to record Yellowstone and be cabin bound Sunday
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 01:05 AM

Oh it’s gonna flip. Just be ready
Posted By: just_an_illusion

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 01:17 AM

I got a week of vacation to burn and I'm watching the forecast closely.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 01:19 AM

I’m gonna take drunk Sunday till Wednesday or when I kill one. They way I figure it I stay broke working all the time so might as well be broke and happy then broke and miserable

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by top cat

What, no satellite TV at the cabin?!
Posted By: JA

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 01:30 AM

Weathers gonna change just in time for me to go back to work on Monday.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 01:39 AM

So ready for it - I not hunting now - hopefully Sunday - looks like few days of real cold

Supposed to be a new moon around Sunday or Monday and feed chart said good day those days - hopefully we see some big deer die
Posted By: gatorbait154

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 01:40 AM

I’ve been off for two weeks and the weather has been crap!! Looks like I’m gonna take off Monday and go to the camp..

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs

We do but would have to flip a switch to turn a 12.5 K propane generator on. I prefer gas lights and radio. Make the deer think no one is behind the gates 😉
Posted By: DGAMBLER

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 02:01 AM

I'm sure ready for it. This fat boy can't handle much moving around in the woods without sweating my nuts off with the current temps.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 02:02 AM

Y’all are saying all January won’t be 78 degrees? I’m skeptical.
Posted By: Okatuppa

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 02:21 AM

We do but would have to flip a switch to turn a 12.5 K propane generator on. I prefer gas lights and radio. Make the deer think no one is behind the gates 😉

Sounds like a cool cabin, TC
I’d prefer the lanterns & radio too

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 02:23 AM

My freakin grass needs cutting again - been needing it - gone b stubborn and wait - dang hot weather
Posted By: G/H

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by JA
Weathers gonna change just in time for me to go back to work on Monday.

X2
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by TDog93
My freakin grass needs cutting again - been needing it - gone b stubborn and wait - dang hot weather

Put it off a week and itll be fine
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 02:54 AM

And of course we have to come back home Sunday and I can’t go back to the camp till Thursday. I’m hoping the cold weather hangs around.
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Okatuppa

Sounds like a cool cabin, TC
I’d prefer the lanterns & radio too

Make sure to use these batteries.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 03:06 AM

I’ve been needing an excuse to spend some time at my camper, I may just take Monday/Tuesday off and go up Saturday night
Posted By: cc28

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 03:11 AM

I know for sure if it doesnt get good and cold, I'm not gonna bother with em again til MLK day-feb10
Posted By: YellaLineHunter

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 04:43 AM

-14 here Saturday night, high of 9 Sunday. Going to be a cold sit
Posted By: wk2hnt

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 12:17 PM

Exactly right 2dogs I have gotten pictures and seen or killed my best deer the week before Christmas though the week after new year. Getting pictures of deer I have never seen before following does swelled up now even in warm conditions. I know of several good ones killed last week/weekend including a good 8 I killed that was a legitimate 208 pound deer before gutting that was stinking and came to look at a couple of younger bucks sparing. Warm weather slows the doe movement way down but when ones in heat a buck can’t help but go.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 12:19 PM

How long will the cold last?

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 12:24 PM

My weather shows highs below 51 for 8 days with lows mostly in the 30’s so not extremely cold but better than what we have now.
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 12:27 PM

Last time we had this polar vortex BS it would tongue lash us about every week or so. Once that cold air up that gets unstable it tends to wash down over us pretty regularly, I'd imagine January and February are going to be cold as chit
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 12:34 PM

It will probably finally get cold February 11th.

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 12:34 PM

I think so too dirk. It’s negative-29 in Alberta where I go in the fall and all that bottled up cold air will come at some point. It’s brutal in North Dakota right now but this ridge is blocking us out.
Posted By: Davyalabama

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 01:41 PM

Looks like we are only getting down to 31 Sunday night and Monday night, but still high's in the 50's. Next Thursday, we are supposed to be back up to 68, Shoot, 75's and 80's, deer should be getting full with all the stuff still green.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 02:02 PM

I keep telling yall deer dont care they move when its 100 in the summer. Just go hunting if you want to or stay home regardless you cant change the weather, but its not bothering the deer or the "rut". Rut is still happening the same few days it always happens.
Posted By: chevydude2015

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ben2
I keep telling yall deer dont care they move when its 100 in the summer. Just go hunting if you want to or stay home regardless you cant change the weather, but its not bothering the deer or the "rut". Rut is still happening the same few days it always happens.

I agree, many people would have said yesterday afternoon was not a good day to hunt. Well I ended up seeing 8 doe, 6 point, and an 8 point. That’s pretty good afternoon for a “bad” day to hunt. Now I will say I do like it better when it’s cold but I can’t change the weather.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by chevydude2015

I agree, many people would have said yesterday afternoon was not a good day to hunt. Well I ended up seeing 8 doe, 6 point, and an 8 point. That’s pretty good afternoon for a “bad” day to hunt. Now I will say I do like it better when it’s cold but I can’t change the weather.

I'll disagree here. Yes, the rut takes place at the same time every year, regardless of weather. But daytime deer movement, even during the rut, is greatly impacted by the weather. If you are fortunate to have ample time in the woods, you would be wise to pick and choose the days that you put pressure on your deer. If you are limited on time, just hunt when you can and enjoy the occasional peace and quiet in the woods. During the rut, spend as much time in the woods as you can despite the weather, and sometimes you get lucky. I killed a 4yr. old 8pt Sunday morning when it was 70 degrees. But I still tend to save my unpressured "rut" spots, for those days with "textbook" conditions.

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 02:58 PM

Good point Atoler, keep pressure to a min.I always keep my best places for when the conditions are in my favor. I don't even walk near good places in the woods where I know a mature deer might be until the time I feel most likely to kill a good one is upon us. When I had a really good place in Dallas county it was always around mlk day and I had lots of thick jungle type bedding areas, now I've had to learn to hunt north Alabama deer with limited amounts of cover around big row crop fields mostly. I am liking being able to see along way but seeing is not always shooting or killing.
Posted By: pcola4

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 04:23 PM

Going to be 80 here Saturday. Too warm. Nothing running but my AC.
Posted By: YellaLineHunter

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 04:56 PM

I’ll add that with warmer weather the deer are still doing deer things. They will tend to move the same first and last light. They may also utilize more Draws and shady areas. That being said a hot piece of tail changes everything.

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 06:12 PM

Never said they didn't breed . They lock down more and don't move as much in extreme temps. They'll do their thing more at night in extremely warm temps during breeding period . They'll also move more at night when it's 100 . In the '95 example I gave , I couldn't count the times I heard "they didn't rut" or "they didn't breed" this season. Well , 3rd week of July fawns started hitting the ground like any other year. It's about daylight movement , I will guarantee daytime deer sightings WILL increase in Jackson Co. after the next front with falling temps.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 06:39 PM

There will be a bunch of bucks killed next week. Will it be because of the weather or because a lot of folks hit the woods?? It’s a combination of both.

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 06:45 PM

I'd guess less hunters in the woods as most will be going back to work after the holidays.

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 06:46 PM

We don't use lanterns. We have gas lights, gas water heater, gas heaters, gas oven/stove and a camper style gas refrigerator. I never crank the generator unless I kill a deer late. I like solitude. Can't even see a light from our place unless it's one the Lord made.
Posted By: Punkinhead

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 06:48 PM

Never said they didn't breed . They lock down more and don't move as much in extreme temps. They'll do their thing more at night in extremely warm temps during breeding period . They'll also move more at night when it's 100 . In the '95 example I gave , I couldn't count the times I heard "they didn't rut" or "they didn't breed" this season. Well , 3rd week of July fawns started hitting the ground like any other year. It's about daylight movement , I will guarantee daytime deer sightings WILL increase in Jackson Co. after the next front with falling temps.

I agree 💯 percent! I killed my bucks in weather like they are forecasting for Monday !
Posted By: leroycnbucks

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 06:52 PM

Weather temperatures affect deer movement it's a fact. I've seen more deer movement during the rut in cold weather than I have in 75 plus temps.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Southwood7

There will be a bunch of bucks killed next week. Will it be because of the weather or because a lot of folks hit the woods?? It’s a combination of both.

I think a week closer to rut accompanied by colder weather will help...I haven't hardly had any day pics this year until this week and it's everyday now...I've been staying out of the woods last couple of weeks but I'll prob hit it hard from 1st cold snap till end of season
Posted By: Mossy

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 08:22 PM

Probably been more bucks hit the ground since last Saturday in Jackson county then all season also heard more shots on skyline wma Sunday then I have all season combined.
Posted By: JKlep

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 08:53 PM

guys, it will not get cold here until 2 days before turkey season opens up, then we will get 6 inches of snow.

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mossy
Probably been more bucks hit the ground since last Saturday in Jackson county then all season also heard more shots on skyline wma Sunday then I have all season combined.

It's time.

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 10:31 PM

It's time.

Had a guy tell me today he's seeing a bunch of scrapes in Jackson...said it's picking up now
Posted By: CNC

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 10:35 PM

I've been keeping up with daily numbers and there has been a slight uptick of reported kills over the last two days

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by jb20

It's time.

Had a guy tell me today he's seeing a bunch of scrapes in Jackson...said it's picking up now

Dec 25 -Jan 5 +/- a couple days is prime time for most of the county. Lower end of PRV is a couple weeks later.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Weather change coming - 12/28/21 11:27 PM

My luck laying flat,down in my back.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Weather change coming - 12/29/21 01:17 AM

Is it bad that we have two days of below average temps that we’re so fired up for, followed by temps that will be back above average?

With that said, Sunday looks brutal. If a man can stand that wind, the deer should move like kicking the top off an ant bed.
Posted By: booner

Re: Weather change coming - 12/29/21 01:56 AM

Odd part of what I’ve seen this year since I’ve started running all cell cams is that I have better buck movement in mild to warm temps than when the fronts come through. No different this morning. It was humid and warm but had a nice buck that I haven’t seen before hitting a feeder at 7:30am. I was pumped up when the first true snap came opening weekend of bow season and just knew I’d kill my number one buck. Nope. He shut down until it got almost 80 later on during the week and I sailed an arrow over his back at 40yds.
Posted By: inatree

Re: Weather change coming - 12/29/21 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by 3FFarms
Is it bad that we have two days of below average temps that we’re so fired up for, followed by temps that will be back above average?

With that said, Sunday looks brutal. If a man can stand that wind, the deer should move like kicking the top off an ant bed.

Planning on being out there

Re: Weather change coming - 12/29/21 02:10 AM

I planning on being out there also Sunday evening - my deer hav moved way better in cold - got more pics - but our rut is a ways off
Planning to take off Monday and Tuesday too - cold those days also - will move

Re: Weather change coming - 12/29/21 02:15 AM

Deer are moving just fine right now

Re: Weather change coming - 12/29/21 02:28 AM

^^^^
Yea - you were getting big deer in daylight - hope y’all get him

Re: Weather change coming - 12/29/21 02:31 AM

At least the wind kept the mosquitos at bay today
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Weather change coming - 12/29/21 02:51 AM

This evening is the first evening I ain't seen a deer since it's been a lil warm. Also this makes the first night my Cera's ain't blew up. I guess they gone feed later tonite or they hunkered down waiting on the rain

Re: Weather change coming - 12/29/21 02:55 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Weather change coming - 12/29/21 03:03 AM

Planning on being there when the rain stops Sunday. I turned in my vacation schedule for January today. I'll be off Monday and Tuesday next week. Monday, Tuesday and Friday the following week and off the entire week of the 17th. Hoping to catch the rut wide open in lower PRV.

Re: Weather change coming - 12/29/21 04:36 AM

We don't use lanterns. We have gas lights, gas water heater, gas heaters, gas oven/stove and a camper style gas refrigerator. I never crank the generator unless I kill a deer late. I like solitude. Can't even see a light from our place unless it's one the Lord made.

Sounds like paradise to me.

Re: Weather change coming - 12/29/21 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Okatuppa

Sounds like paradise to me.

Yes it does...nice topcat

Re: Weather change coming - 12/30/21 02:15 AM

[Linked Image]

It’s time regardless of [Linked Image]

Re: Weather change coming - 12/30/21 02:19 AM

Great looking deer ridge stalker

Re: Weather change coming - 12/30/21 02:20 AM

Heck ya that's a stud....congrats ridgestalker

Re: Weather change coming - 12/30/21 02:21 AM

That’s 2 hosses, ridgestalker.
Did you harvest those?

Re: Weather change coming - 12/30/21 02:22 AM

I didn’t kill either. They have come out of Hi Jackson last couple days.

Re: Weather change coming - 12/30/21 02:39 AM

Wallpaper for sho

Re: Weather change coming - 12/30/21 03:29 AM

Wallpaper for sho

Dang right they are. Freaking studs!!!!

Re: Weather change coming - 12/30/21 03:52 AM

Wallpaper for sho

Dang at the mass on that second buck

Re: Weather change coming - 12/30/21 02:23 PM

Two dandies for sure.
Posted By: WmHunter

Re: Weather change coming - 12/30/21 05:34 PM

I think some good bucks will hit the ground on Monday and Tuesday.

Congrats to Ridgestalker on a GREAT buck!!!!!
Posted By: Lonster

Re: Weather change coming - 12/30/21 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by YellaLineHunter
I’ll add that with warmer weather the deer are still doing deer things. They will tend to move the same first and last light. They may also utilize more Draws and shady areas. That being said a hot piece of tail changes everything.

I try to tell folks this all the time. My wife has a cycle roughly every 28 days, regardless of the weather. Deer have their heat cycle regardless of the weather. Deer certainly don’t move as much in this nasty, muggy weather but when it happens, it happens, and it happens regardless of the weather.
Posted By: DeerNutz0U812_

Re: Weather change coming - 12/30/21 06:19 PM

Man what some mass on that 2nd buck... shocked 2 Giants right there thanks for posting.... thumbup Amazed at some of the big deer up there...
© 2024 ALDEER.COM