Aldeer.com

Rifle Recommendations

Posted By: coop

Rifle Recommendations - 12/11/21 05:30 PM

I have several rifles already, but I’d like a .308.

What do guys recommend for a great .308 bolt action?

Thanks!
Posted By: duxlayer

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/11/21 05:38 PM

Tikka t3x would be my recommendation . Shoots tiny groups very accurate for a factory rifle
Posted By: Jstocks

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/11/21 05:41 PM

Look through the favorites thread. Pick a model others give favorable reviews to.

What’s important to you?
A Woodstock?
Weight?
Stainless?
Price range?
Detachable mag?

Hard to make a solid recommendation when we don’t even have a price range to go by.

I love my Abolt 270. A 308 just like it is a wish list item of mine. That being said, I have a new Kimber 84m (6.5) I shot yesterday. I wouldn’t recommend it in a 308 due to recoil. It’s a light rifle, and if you bought it in 308 I think it’d thump pretty good. Trigger is good, seems to shoot ok. Heavier rifles are easier to hold on target for sure.

I hear a lot of good things about the Tikka.

Maybe an X Bolt medallion would be nice?

Those Ruger Hawkeyes sure look nice if you can afford one.
Posted By: BPI

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/12/21 12:57 AM

Ruger m77 compact 308 lol
Posted By: CedarCreek

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/12/21 01:22 AM

Christensen Ridgeline with 18" barrel Love this thing. Paired up with Hornady custom sst 150gr havent had a beer or pig run this year or last.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/12/21 01:38 AM

Depends on use. Woods, plots or cutovers?
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/12/21 01:44 AM

I second the Tikka T3x. I have the veil wideland. Awesome weapon! Shoots lights out!!
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/12/21 02:23 AM

There’s a lot of great guns out there and pretty much any make and model offer a .308.

I’ve got several fairly nice guns, but I picked up a howa 4 years ago and for some reason that’s the one I hunt with 99% of the time since then. It’s a great option for a reasonable price.
Posted By: twaldrop4

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/12/21 02:24 AM

Bergara B14 feels better than tikka and they shoot great.
Christensen mesas are also great rifles.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/12/21 02:28 AM

All depends on budget imo
Posted By: gatorbait154

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/12/21 02:52 AM

Tikka T-3
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/12/21 12:44 PM

Kimber 84M Hunter

3 position safety, detachable flush magazine, very light weight
Posted By: Hammertime7v2

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/12/21 02:50 PM

I had my new Bergara premiere approach out at the range yesterday, and it did really well. The only thing is that the magazine feed was a little finicky. It does not have a detachable magazine, so that is the only thing I would change. Other than that I think it's going to be a great shooter.

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/12/21 02:51 PM

If you are looking to stay at a lower price point then Ruger Hawkeye or Tika
Posted By: RAmerica

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/12/21 02:57 PM

I have a Springfield Waypoint in 308 and it’s a great shooting gun,, also have Christensen Arms and Bergaras in different calibers and they all shot great, you will have to see what fits and feels good for you,
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/12/21 04:07 PM

Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS
Posted By: Jdkprp70

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/12/21 07:24 PM

Bergara b14 ridge
Posted By: Jstocks

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/12/21 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by UncleHuck

Kimber 84M Hunter

They are light…..
I find mine harder to shoot than a heavier rifle.
Posted By: just_an_illusion

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/12/21 09:02 PM

I believe if I were looking for a new bolt action 308 to hunt with, I would look hard at a Bergara or Browning X Bolt.

That said, I've never had a Savage that was disappointing in the accuracy department and would also give them a serious consideration if looking to spend a bit less money.
Posted By: tailgate

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/12/21 09:50 PM

For a budget rifle, Winchester XPR is a fine choice.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/12/21 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by duxlayer
Tikka t3x would be my recommendation . Shoots tiny groups very accurate for a factory rifle

Same.
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/12/21 11:02 PM

I prefer a heavy bolt action like my Weatherby. Stand hunt exclusively so lightweight doesn't help me and the heavy rifle is very accurate and reliable.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/13/21 12:36 AM

I saw my first Sauer 100 ceratech today , mighty fine looking rifle . If I were in the market for a new piece , I'd look hard at the Sauer.
Posted By: Lonster

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/13/21 01:15 AM

X bolt. My bare rifle weighs only 6 lbs. 3 oz. and it’s a tack-driver.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/13/21 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jstocks

Kimber 84M Hunter

They are light…..

They r tougher to shoot but it'll do the job if u can...i have the older 84m n the trigger helps on that light gun
Posted By: Narrow Gap

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/13/21 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs
I saw my first Sauer 100 ceratech today , mighty fine looking rifle . If I were in the market for a new piece , I'd look hard at the Sauer.

I have one in 30-06 Springfield and I really like it. The Sauer 100’s are on the lowest end of the Sauer rifle line but they are still about as good of a bolt action production rifle as You can get. Sauer 100’s are a little step above the Tikka T3’s if I had to compare IMO.

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/13/21 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Narrow Gap
Originally Posted by 2Dogs

I have one in 30-06 Springfield and I really like it. The Sauer 100’s are on the lowest end of the Sauer rifle line but they are still about as good of a bolt action production rifle as You can get. Sauer 100’s are a little step above the Tikka T3’s if I had to compare IMO.

That was my thought as well , especially the stock.
Posted By: Semo

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/13/21 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lonster
X bolt. My bare rifle weighs only 6 lbs. 3 oz. and it’s a tack-driver.

I'm not a bolt guy. But, if I was the X bolt would be my choice too.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/13/21 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by joshm28
Depends on use. Woods, plots or cutovers?

This. A rifle is a tool that should be matched to the job at hand whenever possible.
Posted By: Cynical

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/13/21 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by coop

Thanks!

You said "great." I'm super talented at spending unlimited amounts of cash on guns, so just call up Joe Walls at Exodus Rifles in Jacksonville, FL, tell him you want an Impact 737R action with a Bartlein Carbon Fiber wrapped Rem Var profile, put into a Manners Long Range Hunter stock with Hawkins Precision hunter-style M5 bottom metal with two magazines, a tiggertech diamond trigger, and either an Insite Heathen brake or an Area 419 Hellfire Match brake.

Thank me later. And when you get tired of 308 and you're ready to step into the modern era of rifle cartridges, you can just buy a new pre-fit barrel in a fancy caliber and torque it on your action at home.
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/13/21 05:00 PM

Ruger M77 Compact. It's a 5.75 pound gun. Once you use one, you will hate a full length rifle. Doesn't kick to bad either, unless you shoot 180 grain partitions off a bench... LOL!

I took a full length rifle into a shooting house saturday, and realized why I never carry one in the woods anymore. It's just to long. You are talking about dropping about 7 to 8 inches of overall gun length.
Posted By: nomercy

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/13/21 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cynical

Thanks!

You said "great." I'm super talented at spending unlimited amounts of cash on guns, so just call up Joe Walls at Exodus Rifles in Jacksonville, FL, tell him you want an Impact 737R action with a Bartlein Carbon Fiber wrapped Rem Var profile, put into a Manners Long Range Hunter stock with Hawkins Precision hunter-style M5 bottom metal with two magazines, a tiggertech diamond trigger, and either an Insite Heathen brake or an Area 419 Hellfire Match brake.

Thank me later. And when you get tired of 308 and you're ready to step into the modern era of rifle cartridges, you can just buy a new pre-fit barrel in a fancy caliber and torque it on your action at home.

Whew. That’s a mouthful. Are you the kid from Christmas Story? 😝
Posted By: Bronco 74

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/13/21 08:29 PM

Like my NEF 30.06. Single shot. Drives tacks at 125 yards. Got them all .243 to 54 cal (muzzle loader).

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/13/21 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by nomercy

Thanks!

Whew. That’s a mouthful. Are you the kid from Christmas Story? 😝

HO HO HO , you'll shoot your eye out kid !
Posted By: Lonster

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/14/21 12:40 AM

Thanks!

[Linked Image]

Browning X Bolt .308 WIN
Posted By: YellaLineHunter

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/14/21 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Lonster

Thanks!

[Linked Image]

Browning X Bolt .308 WIN

I like that rifle!

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/14/21 03:19 AM

Thanks!

Is that with or without the flux capacitor?
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/14/21 03:33 AM

Beautiful rifle Lonster - always hv liked black and stainless - what my 2506 and muzzleloader are. Hav wanted a browning rifle for years and wanted a 308 for years - that may be the combination
Posted By: MarkCollin

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/14/21 03:36 AM

I’m no expert and don’t know much about the others listed, but I have a steyr in a .308 and I love it. And I shoot both short and long range with it.
Posted By: deerfeeder89

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/15/21 01:22 AM

Foreshore I hunt a prefer a short barrel rifle for hunting out of a climber which is why I have a guide gun. But bought a 308 several years ago to have a longer range then I was comfortable shooting a 45-70 at. So I bought a savage hog hunter and it fit the bill I would have bought the savage scout rifle but they didn't come out till after I bought my hog hunter. I prefer blind magazines to floor plates and detachable mags. The savage has a 20" barrel blind mag. Shoots small groups with 150gr. Superperformance sst. It's pretty light and the triggers fine. It's topped with a 2.5x10x40. Price wise for gun and optics It's not bad for the performance you get what works for me might not work for you
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/15/21 07:55 AM

I recently bought a Savage 110 Apex Hunter. It was the only left handed bolt action I could find. It has the 20” inch barrel and is fairly light. This is the first short barreled bolt gun I’ve ever owned. I was pleasantly surprised how well it shot with 150gr Federal soft points. The new design on the stock was not bad at all but I put a Boyd’s Hardwood stock on it. I’m really liking this little rifle.
Posted By: Davyalabama

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/15/21 12:35 PM

None have mentioned the Rem 700? I guess I will.

How about an old Winchester lever in 308 if you want a great woods gun.

Steyr Pro Hunter?

If you have the coin, how about a Dakota in 308 or one of Kenny Jarret's?
Posted By: sbo1971

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/15/21 06:56 PM

I’ve had two Weatherby’s in 308(gave one to my son) both are great shooting rifles, I have a Bergara B-14 in 300 mag and it seems to be a really good shooting rifle.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/16/21 03:44 AM

I'd buy a bergara i was in the same boat 308 ammo has been easy to come by thru this ammo shortage. I looked at every rifle we sell where i work and i ended up with a bergara. I got the hmr but it's more a situational rifle i wouldn't want to pack it anywhere but i have other guns for that. This will be a powerline/cutover gun. The ridge felt awesome for the money
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/16/21 02:14 PM

The one thing I don't like about savage is their action is the same length for say a 308 or a 30-06. So even if you have a short action cartridge, you are running it in a long action.
Posted By: just_an_illusion

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/16/21 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lockjaw
The one thing I don't like about savage is their action is the same length for say a 308 or a 30-06. So even if you have a short action cartridge, you are running it in a long action.

Only if you are looking at the new 110 series rifles. The older model 10-11-12-14 & 16 were true short actions while the 110-111-112-114 & 116 were long actions.
Posted By: Ragin-Cajun

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/16/21 08:02 PM

x3 on the Tikka T3... super accurate.

7mm-08 is my go to cartridge, which is a necked down .308. had a H&R crack barrel in this round for my teenager and i loved the round so much i bought it in Tikka rifle.
from kids to adults 7mm08 so versatile, low recoil but 139 gr will knock a deer on its az
Posted By: CVAwolf

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/18/21 02:48 PM

The Savage Axis ii in .30-06 is a nice gun. Have the SS barrel and Bushnell 3-9×40 which is fine.
Very light, has new trigger which is adjustable, newer stock design with less recoil.
To me the preset pressure seems fine.

You can get it in .308 and others

Note: you will need a Weaver scope rail to mount it. Not sure which other rails will fit.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006YU66X...M4D5D3DENB5PBVN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Posted By: QDMAV8R

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/18/21 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jstocks

Kimber 84M Hunter

They are light…..

Slap some good European glass on top and it will balance it right out. I’ve got two 84M in .308, each topped with a Swaro. One set up for long range and the other sighted in for Alabama whitetail. With Hornady factory match ammo they will shoot as good as my Christensen Arms custom rifle and both priced together are too about 1/3 the price of a Custom job. Great value. If you have larger hands you might want to change out the trigger and trigger guard. Other than that, it’s a great shooting gun for the money. My set ups are a dream to shoot and very accurate out of the box. They outshoot my REM 700 and Savage 116 in .308.

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/18/21 05:47 PM

My brothers Tikka T1 shoots 3/4" groups at 200 yards. He won't sell it to me, I'm 0-3 in trying to buy it from him.
Posted By: SnipeHunter

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/20/21 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by CedarCreek
Christensen Ridgeline with 18" barrel Love this thing. Paired up with Hornady custom sst 150gr havent had a beer or pig run this year or last.

Man I’d just use my 22 to shoot beers
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/20/21 01:01 PM

Steyr is making prohunters again, the prohunter 2, and one of the four calibers it comes in is 308. My prohunter is a cloverleaf gun. 20 inch barrel shooting 150grain 308 federal nontypicals, nothing fancy at all ammo wise and it's still a .5 moa gun.

If you don't want to spend as much money my savage comes very close in shooting performance. Or you might be able to find a used OG prohunter, but I'd imagine most folks that bought them are satisfied. They're shooters for sure.
Posted By: Smitty4Bama

Re: Rifle Recommendations - 12/20/21 04:39 PM

Just get yourself a Savage 110 .270 and thank me later...
© 2024 ALDEER.COM