Aldeer.com

Which Fleece outer layer?

Posted By: collardncornbread

Which Fleece outer layer? - 01/22/21 01:49 PM

I recently hunted with someone who was wearing the Cabelas Berber fleece.
We were both warm,except my outer wear was about 10 pounds heaver than his.
Cabelas doesnt seem to offer the Berber in XL,which i need.
Who sells a really good ,fleece that stops wind ,at under $200 ?
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Which Fleece outer layer? - 01/22/21 01:55 PM

I bought some predator, it’s good. It it better be cold! Lol

https://shop.predatorcamo.com/stealth-micro-fleece-jacket/

You can catch it on Camofire for a pretty good discount.

The best and most expensive is gonna be Sitka though.
Posted By: Davyalabama

Re: Which Fleece outer layer? - 01/22/21 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by collardncornbread

I recently hunted with someone who was wearing the Cabelas Berber fleece.
We were both warm,except my outer wear was about 10 pounds heaver than his.
Cabelas doesnt seem to offer the Berber in XL,which i need.
Who sells a really good ,fleece that stops wind ,at under $200 ?
. Catch it on ebay. Have you tried Bass Pro, they sell it too? Bass Pro ruined Cabelas, so they sell about the same stuff. I'm not much into fleece for an outer layer, I have been using Cabelas old stuff (micro suede, and I use wool). Fleece does tend to hold water at times.
Posted By: Mdees

Re: Which Fleece outer layer? - 01/22/21 04:18 PM

I much prefer fleece as an under layer. Same with wool. I haven’t had to buy any in many years but I’ve had very good results with Polartec, both pants and jackets, though I rarely use a fleece jacket, on top or under, while hunting. I have much more options for minimal layers for my core to keep toasty down into single digits. It’s my legs that get cold without good insulation and that’s where my 200gram fleece pants are handy.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Which Fleece outer layer? - 01/22/21 04:29 PM

I think my cabelas Berber fleece is XL....I’ll sell it for $200! grin

Re: Which Fleece outer layer? - 01/22/21 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mdees
I much prefer fleece as an under layer. Same with wool. I haven’t had to buy any in many years but I’ve had very good results with Polartec, both pants and jackets, though I rarely use a fleece jacket, on top or under, while hunting. I have much more options for minimal layers for my core to keep toasty down into single digits. It’s my legs that get cold without good insulation and that’s where my 200gram fleece pants are handy.

Good ideas, that I use too --- use that fleece lining under micro suede in pants, really helps. I have more options for minimal layers, yep, I can use merino wool anytime and in different layers. I rarely use fleece, it has more to do with getting wet than anything.
Posted By: woodswalker

Re: Which Fleece outer layer? - 01/22/21 05:00 PM

This season I've been using a Mossy Oak Sherpa 2.0 Fleece Lined jacket as outer wear. No complaints. About $85 which isn't bad. I like it so much that I bought two to have one as a backup if they quit making them.

Re: Which Fleece outer layer? - 01/22/21 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by woodswalker
This season I've been using a Mossy Oak Sherpa 2.0 Fleece Lined jacket as outer wear. No complaints. About $85 which isn't bad. I like it so much that I bought two to have one as a backup if they quit making them.
. Yep, I wish I had learned that years ago before Cabelas got bought out.
Posted By: just_an_illusion

Re: Which Fleece outer layer? - 01/23/21 12:58 AM

My Natural Gear Winterceptor Fleece pants and jacket are warm and windproof. I also like my Nomad Harvester stuff.

Re: Which Fleece outer layer? - 01/24/21 04:49 AM

Thanks. I have a couple good leeds from the input.
Has anybody got any advice on the badlands outer wear?
I just found out they make it also.
I have one of their backpacks,and really like it.
Posted By: bodock

Re: Which Fleece outer layer? - 01/24/21 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by just_an_illusion
My Natural Gear Winterceptor Fleece pants and jacket are warm and windproof. I also like my Nomad Harvester stuff.

I second this I have a jacket and bibs and they are warm and windproof(although not breathable). I carry mine in in a duffel bag. Reasonably priced
Posted By: AC870

Re: Which Fleece outer layer? - 01/24/21 02:30 PM

I wear the Cabela’s Wooltimate pullover as my outer layer with a thin fleece and usually a fleece vest under it. It’s been a good system for me. My pants are the Berber fl the fleece in same outfitter brown pattern. My base layer for under the pants is a pair of those Under Armour storm pants. They are comfy and awesome.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Which Fleece outer layer? - 01/24/21 02:47 PM

Cabela's Woolmate with wind shear is some fine stuff. They may not even have it since BPS bought them out.
Posted By: AMB

Re: Which Fleece outer layer? - 01/24/21 03:24 PM

I have some bibs and a vest from day one camouflage. The bibs are insulated with windstop and the vest is windstop only, both are predator grey fleece. They are very warm and stop the wind. I’ve had them for probably 20 years, still going strong. You can pick different materials and camo patterns, made in the USA.

https://dayonecamouflage.com/
Posted By: cgardner

Re: Which Fleece outer layer? - 01/24/21 11:02 PM

Nomad Harvestor. It will have you sweating on a 20 degree day!!
Posted By: AUdeerhunter

Re: Which Fleece outer layer? - 01/24/21 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by woodswalker

If you like the Mossy Oak Sherpa 2.0 stuff, give the Nomad Harvester line a try. It’s no comparison on warmth and comfort!! You can catch the Nomad stuff on major end of season sales

Re: Which Fleece outer layer? - 01/25/21 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by foldemup
I think my cabelas Berber fleece is XL....I’ll sell it for $200! grin

LOL. Foldemup... I have been seriously thinking about your offer. But if i buy your favorite fleece hunting suit , you might get a cold sitting up in your tree stand with just your long johns on.
It sure is tempting though. 🤔😄
Posted By: AC870

Re: Which Fleece outer layer? - 01/25/21 01:18 PM

Foldemup’s jacket has “mojo.” You have to consider that in the purchase price. The accountants call it “good will.”
© 2024 ALDEER.COM