Aldeer.com

Infection in deers brisket? Help!!!

Posted By: CrappieKing

Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/15/20 07:32 PM

My son a huge 9point yesterday morning. We found that some had shot the deer in the brisket maybe a couple weeks earlier or more with a small caliber ballistic tip round. The brisket had grey and brown puss coming out of it. About a 10” area looks bad. Is the rest of the deer good to eat? It’s about a 220lb deer, hate to throw all that meat away but will if I need to. Any advice? Thanks
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/15/20 07:36 PM

I would not take the chance. Let the coyotes have him
Posted By: ford150man

Re: Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/15/20 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ben2
I would not take the chance. Let the coyotes have him

Same.
Posted By: globe

Re: Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/15/20 08:07 PM

Too many deer out there to eat. No way I’d take a chance.
Posted By: CeeHawk37

Re: Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/15/20 08:58 PM

I’d skin him out and cut out backstraps and the hind quarters. If the shoulders look infected maybe steer clear of them but if the rest passes the smell test it should be good to go. I killed a buck in Mizzou a few years ago that had deep puncture wounds all over his neck and leaked a ton of puss from his neck when we skinned him out. The rest of the meat was fine other than the neck. I ain’t the most experienced woods man around this forum but dang if id throw the whole thing out because of a wound to the brisket.. if the rest of the meat didn’t smell bad or look discolored.
Posted By: jake5050

Re: Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/15/20 09:18 PM

I'm with CeeHawk skin him out
Posted By: top cat

Re: Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/15/20 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by jake5050

Yup
Posted By: Bulls eye

Re: Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/15/20 09:51 PM

I agree. If the rest of the meat looks good and smells good I would eat it.
Posted By: Semo

Re: Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/15/20 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by top cat
Originally Posted by jake5050

Yup

I also concur.
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/15/20 11:10 PM

The blood that flower through the infected areas was flowing through the rest of him. Lop off what want for a mount and leave the rest for the catoteys.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/15/20 11:17 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/15/20 11:28 PM

Do you have to call the green pants if you don't take the meat? That would get you in big trouble in other states.
Posted By: doekiller

Re: Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/15/20 11:56 PM

How do you know what the person was shooting? Did you find the bullet?
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/16/20 12:34 AM

What county did he shoot him in? Asking for a friend.
Posted By: jono23

Re: Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/16/20 12:35 AM

I would absolutely hate to waste meat, but I don't think I'd be able to get the image/smell of the puss out of my head every time I cooked that deer up.
Posted By: Broadhead26

Re: Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/16/20 12:40 AM

I wouldn’t be too bothered as long as the rest of the meat looked/smelled fine. Mindset is everything and you’re likely to psyche yourself out for no reason.

For example: the eggs you eat for breakfast are literally just a chickens menstruation.
Is it nasty to think about?... kinda.
Is it gonna stop me?... nope!
Posted By: modoc_333

Re: Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/16/20 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by dBmV
The blood that flower through the infected areas was flowing through the rest of him. Lop off what want for a mount and leave the rest for the catoteys.

This.
Posted By: jono23

Re: Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/16/20 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Broadhead26
I wouldn’t be too bothered as long as the rest of the meat looked/smelled fine. Mindset is everything and you’re likely to psyche yourself out for no reason.

For example: the eggs you eat for breakfast are literally just a chickens menstruation.
Is it nasty to think about?... kinda.
Is it gonna stop me?... nope!

Eggs aren’t infection that ooze out of the chicken.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/16/20 02:42 AM

I would always error on the side of caution

Re: Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/16/20 02:50 AM

I've had to do this with many deer over the years. On at least 3 occasions we called the game warden because the whole deer was suspect. Each time they allowed for another animal (didn't have to burn a tag).

Lots of deer get puss from antler wounds, arrows and such. Ive seen some pretty nasty gobblers over the years too (ol' green meat) and just cut away the bad stuff.

Edit: While I'm sure lots of deer do get puss....I was referring to pus. reading what you post can be funny.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/16/20 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by CeeHawk37
I’d skin him out and cut out backstraps and the hind quarters. If the shoulders look infected maybe steer clear of them but if the rest passes the smell test it should be good to go. I killed a buck in Mizzou a few years ago that had deep puncture wounds all over his neck and leaked a ton of puss from his neck when we skinned him out. The rest of the meat was fine other than the neck. I ain’t the most experienced woods man around this forum but dang if id throw the whole thing out because of a wound to the brisket.. if the rest of the meat didn’t smell bad or look discolored.

Eat what don’t stank
Posted By: nomercy

Re: Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/16/20 03:15 AM

CeeHawk got it. That’s my opinion.
Posted By: paulfish4570

Re: Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/16/20 03:25 AM

cook the good meat to 160F and don't worry about it ...
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/16/20 02:02 PM

I posted a pic of a deer I killed several years ago that’s hindquarter had a giant puss pocket in it. Threw that quarter away and we ate the rest.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/16/20 02:14 PM

A buddy killed an 8 pt back when I was a teenager that had several puncture wounds its belly and hindquarter area......When we skint it out it had pus all under the hide over half its body.....He didnt eat that one.....I've never killed one like that but I'd probably be pretty cautious about it too.....There's a lot of deer around here to be eating tainted ones
Posted By: globe

Re: Infection in deers brisket? Help!!! - 12/16/20 04:00 PM

Too many deer out there
© 2024 ALDEER.COM