Aldeer.com

Bucks that don’t shed velvet

Posted By: BamaStrapAssassi

Bucks that don’t shed velvet - 10/18/20 04:24 AM

I’ve got a buck that I have tried to kill for a couple years now and he doesn’t shed his velvet. I’ve yet to see him show any signs of rut behavior and i’m curious if there may be a testosterone issue that keeps his horns from hardening as well as keeps him from breeding / chasing does?
Any Insights/experience on these bucks and there rut behavior is appreciated.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Bucks that don’t shed velvet - 10/18/20 04:36 AM

Might have had his balls ripped off somehow. It happens. After that they don't shed
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Bucks that don’t shed velvet - 10/18/20 05:54 AM

May be a doe . I got a bil that killed a 9 point doe that scored 126
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Bucks that don’t shed velvet - 10/18/20 11:16 AM

We have a doe on our place with velvet antlers and a fawn.....seen her for 2 seasons now
Her name is Kaitlin
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Bucks that don’t shed velvet - 10/18/20 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by deadeye48
We have a doe on our place with velvet antlers and a fawn.....seen her for 2 seasons now
Her name is Kaitlin

Kaitlin rofl
Posted By: Sandmtnslayer

Re: Bucks that don’t shed velvet - 10/18/20 12:20 PM

Like jwalker said that buck doesnt have nuts
Posted By: k bush

Re: Bucks that don’t shed velvet - 10/18/20 12:38 PM

He ain't got the balls to do it...
Posted By: demp17

Re: Bucks that don’t shed velvet - 10/18/20 12:41 PM

I killed a buck last year that was still in velvet, for whatever reason he always shed his velvet really late, like end of October early November. Everything was in tact on him. I had a buddy who killed an 8 point years ago that had no berries!
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Bucks that don’t shed velvet - 10/18/20 02:51 PM

I shot a buck one time that had no tail. Not even a nub.
Posted By: turkey247

Re: Bucks that don’t shed velvet - 10/19/20 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by jwalker77
Might have had his balls ripped off somehow. It happens. After that they don't shed

Not true at all. Seen a few with twig, no berries - funky racks but no velvet. I killed one of them about 20 years ago in Pickens County.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Bucks that don’t shed velvet - 10/19/20 01:45 AM

Deer that don’t shed or shed late typically don’t have the proper hormonal balance to trigger those changes at the right time. Some times it’s an injury to the testicles or having both male and female genitalia.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Bucks that don’t shed velvet - 10/19/20 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by turkey247
Originally Posted by jwalker77

Not true at all. Seen a few with twig, no berries - funky racks but no velvet. I killed one of them about 20 years ago in Pickens County.

It does happen. I didn't say every time.
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: Bucks that don’t shed velvet - 10/19/20 01:50 PM

Buddy killed one of these few year back, lots of points really funky, no balls.
Posted By: Drake322

Re: Bucks that don’t shed velvet - 10/19/20 05:48 PM

I was in CO with a good friend and his Dad and he killed a mule deer that was a 3x9 with a big club for a drop tine. Weird looking rack Guide said they call them cactus bucks. He had a sack but no nuts. He also said they are real reclusive and do not run with the other deer. Guide also said most of the time they do not get that big because not being in a herd they are more vulnerable to predators.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Bucks that don’t shed velvet - 10/20/20 01:15 AM

Cryptorchidism is the absence of one or both testes from the scrotum. Bucks may not, or usually won't, shed velvet if they have this condition.

Cryptorchidism can happen in humans, too. --- https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/undescended-testicle/symptoms-causes/syc-20351995
Posted By: Chris4x4Gill2

Re: Bucks that don’t shed velvet - 10/21/20 11:07 AM

I Killed a velvet antlered doe once.
Posted By: General

Re: Bucks that don’t shed velvet - 10/21/20 02:42 PM

A buddy of mine killed a hermaphrodite once and it was in full velvet in late January.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM