Aldeer.com

Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting

Posted By: Highlander

Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/16/19 04:51 PM

How successful are y'all hunting in the open like this, from the ground?
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/16/19 04:59 PM

I have killed a truckload of deer slipping slooooowly along or just sitting against a tree.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/16/19 05:02 PM

If you hunt in an area with a lot of deer, you're going to be successful. If you hunt in a crappy area with few deer, it doesn't matter what you do.
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/16/19 05:26 PM

I was in a turkey lounger a week ago and watched 4 deer feed about 30 yards in front of me. One doe fed to within about 12 yards of me and the wind shifted. She stomped and would take a step forward. Stomp and take another step forward. She got within 7 yards of me before she figured me out. I was in camo from head to foot.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/16/19 05:38 PM

I kill the majority of my deer from the ground. No blind. Just a gun and gobbler lounger. Very effective, but you got to play the wind and thermals.
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/16/19 06:13 PM

All 5 deer my son and I have killed this year have been from the ground. 4 from the same $12 ground blind and one from a pop-up blind.
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/16/19 08:12 PM

I've hunted equally as much from the ground (hammock seat, no blind) this year and have seen just as many deer doing so. Had several within 30 yards up to as close as 10 yards. Having good cover at your back is key, and I do make sure to have on good camo head to toe. The important factor outside hunting the right wind is to sit STILL. Having a good seat hunting on the ground is the most important aspect to being able to sit still enough. Killed a nice 7 point during muzzeloader season at 25 yards sitting on the ground, he never had a clue I was there. As has been mentioned, if you don't get the wind right you can toss the rest of the tactics out the window.
Posted By: Red Fox

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 02:25 AM

I always enjoy hunting from the ground and just walking slowly. The property has to be open enough to see, also the sun(not in your eyes), wind( blowing slightly to help hide your movement). It is amazing sometimes how deer will literally walk within feet of you before they even recognize something is up.
Posted By: nacho

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 03:06 AM

I took a camp chair and sat in a bunch of pines a week or so ago and had a 4 point walk within 5 yards of me. Never spooked just feed on by on his way. I need the wind to get right and I’ll slip back in there got several does on camera.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 03:40 AM

99% of my hunting now...

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 03:42 AM

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/ANrPaM3Lzz8[/video]
Hunt the wind this was couple weeks ago
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 03:44 AM

I like to hunt off a bluff. Thats about the only time I sit on the ground.
Posted By: Cutem

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 03:52 AM

My dad hunts on the ground. A lot of time he will sit in between rocks and has shot deer that have about walked over him.
Posted By: Oscarflytyer

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 04:58 AM

In my woods, I could sit dern near anywhere on the ground with just a chair and if deer are in the area and wind right, they could go by 10-15 yds out and never know I was there. Need to do more of it. I have some real thick woods. Only real issue is the damned wind twirls and swirls like a belly dancer!
Posted By: Jason Carroll

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 05:22 AM

I like to take a summit climber top and hunt from the ground. It's a very comfortable set up for me .
Posted By: DGAMBLER

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jason Carroll
I like to take a summit climber top and hunt from the ground. It's a very comfortable set up for me .

not a bad idea thumbup
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 12:23 PM

If im not in a ground blind im sitting in a chair with my shooting stix at the ready....killed many deer and hogs doing this
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 02:44 PM

I know a guy who hunts in bluejeans, flannel shirt, covered in concrete (his living) who sits in the $5 walmart plastic chairs (white might I add) as pulls out deer all the time. Big ole bucks too.
Posted By: Snuffy

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 04:24 PM

I take a turkey chair and snuggle up next to a tree or make a little ground blind. The wind is the key.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 04:35 PM

Me and 3 other guys hunt public land 10x per year. We always hunt from the ground. Less weight to carry in and out means we can get much deeper in the woods. Going in by water in the morning to hunt a landlocked piece of forest property. Or landlocked on a couple sides anyway lol.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 05:08 PM

I hunt with a rifle slippin an lookin...i sit an watch then i may slip some more..i could have killed 3 does this way this year. My daddy killed alot of deer like this. Plus i like sittin on the ground with a gun
Posted By: AdventureDeer

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 05:09 PM

I use a millennium tree seat and play the wind. I have seen/killed just as many deer as from an elevated stand.
Posted By: redhedder

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 06:48 PM

Very interesting post and replies. I would love to hunt more from the ground, but the older I get and with aches and pains and arthritis and all that, I just have a hard time being completely still for very long. I even have that problem in my climbers. anyone else have this dilemma? Maybe it's too much coffee before the hunt too. lol
Posted By: sj22

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bustinbeards
I kill the majority of my deer from the ground. No blind. Just a gun and gobbler lounger. Very effective, but you got to play the wind and thermals.

This^^^
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by redhedder
Very interesting post and replies. I would love to hunt more from the ground, but the older I get and with aches and pains and arthritis and all that, I just have a hard time being completely still for very long. I even have that problem in my climbers. anyone else have this dilemma? Maybe it's too much coffee before the hunt too. lol

Get one of these. Best investment you'll ever make for hunting from the ground. It is as comfortable as the best climbers out there.

Hammock Seat
Posted By: AlaMiss

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 08:10 PM

Out of curiosity- for you guys that hunt from the ground or hunt slipping through the woods- do you prefer a rifle or shotgun (buckshot)? Seems that several posters hunt thick cover and have close encounter so curious if anyone uses a shotgun. I typically carry a rifle (compact like a 30-30) when hunting from the ground, always like to hear what others use.

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 08:26 PM

I use my bow and 308
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by AlaMiss
Out of curiosity- for you guys that hunt from the ground or hunt slipping through the woods- do you prefer a rifle or shotgun (buckshot)? Seems that several posters hunt thick cover and have close encounter so curious if anyone uses a shotgun. I typically carry a rifle (compact like a 30-30) when hunting from the ground, always like to hear what others use.

Only shotgun id wver carry for a deer is a slug gun with a rifled barrel. In my short life ive seen alot of deer get burnt by buckshot an if they died at all it was a long ways from where they were shot. I have ahot exactly one deer with buckshot..a spike..at about 35 yrds. I shot it an it run 350 yards to my cousin an he killed it. We were dog huntin an i was about 14. I swore id never tote it again..
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 09:35 PM

270 for me unless I'm in tight quarters. All I have left is a single shot 12 that has put a few down. Can't hit a bird for chit with it but it's lethal on deer, rabbits and squirrels.
Posted By: fishhead

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 09:49 PM

I've enjoyed reading this and will be getting a hammock seat for Christmas now. I get playing the wind, but what does "playing thermals" mean? Just a 53 year old rookie trying to learn.
Thanks
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 09:52 PM

The sin coming up in the morning and going down in the evening. Rising and lower temps are thermals.
Posted By: Justin Brown

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 10:05 PM

I like slipping around on the ground with either my bow or my .444 Marlin with iron sights.
Posted By: DGAMBLER

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/17/19 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by redhedder

Im right there with you Red. I've had back problems since I was a teen and then surgery last year, so I have a hard time sitting still for very long. I may try that hammock seat myself. It looks comfortable.
Posted By: hallb

Re: Standless & Ground Blindless Hunting - 12/18/19 12:56 AM

© 2024 ALDEER.COM