Aldeer.com

Am I

Posted By: handihunter

Am I - 12/12/19 05:17 PM

Am I the only one who can’t for the life of them see a deer??? I swear I got to be the worst deer hunter. LOL!!!
Posted By: Tupi

Re: Am I - 12/12/19 05:20 PM

Tell us about the land you hunt and what your doing , get them on camera ect .
Posted By: NotsoBright

Re: Am I - 12/12/19 05:21 PM

Don’t know but I hunt LA and have gone once and saw three does and two spikes. Some times it takes 10 sits to see that many pine goats.
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Am I - 12/12/19 05:41 PM

Been a slow year for me aswell which it's always tough around here this time of year it will pick up after Christmas just have to stay after them
Posted By: Tupi

Re: Am I - 12/12/19 06:13 PM

I have observed 10 deer in 20 sits , not great , I had a much better year last year , took 2 8’s a 7 and a couple of does . This year will Probably not go as well as our best hunting is about over but i’m Thankful for what I’ve got . Best advice I have is try something different if what your doing is not working , don’t call much or none and keep sprays and scents to a minimum, always have the wind in your face.
Posted By: jono23

Re: Am I - 12/12/19 06:39 PM

Whatever you are doing, stop and do something different.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Am I - 12/12/19 06:46 PM

I saw 23 the other day...they have alot at the park
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Am I - 12/12/19 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tupi
I have observed 10 deer in 20 sits ,

You clearly have a doe problem. You must begin a doe slaughter in order to have more does....or something like that laugh
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Am I - 12/12/19 07:49 PM

Usually the difference in a good deer hunter and a bad deer hunter, is good land or bad land. All the guys I know who kill lots of deer, hunt on land where they SEE lots of deer.

But then again experience matters, I hunt on land where I see 20, even 30 deer some days. I've seen probably a dozen good bucks this year. But we have some guys who hunt out there who almost never see deer.
Some of them I know, and I've seen their trucks parked in places before that I wouldn't hunt.

I was in a club near Wadley, AL one year (maybe 15 years ago now). It was only about 1200 acres, most of it was hardwoods, and lots of it was just "trash" hardwoods, not oaks. Pretty woods, but it didn't hold deer. When they handed me a map they told me about a "small 80 acre corner that's not on this map, but ain't nobody fools with that land because they cut the timber off a few years ago and ruined it." I tried my best to keep a poker face!!!!! I believe I killed the only racked bucks off that entire club that year, all of which came from that cutover that those guys thought was "ruined". So the point is experience helps you know what "kind" of habitat deer live in also....you could be hunting places that just aren't very good for deer.

But sometimes it's just luck. I hunted Choccolocco WMA two straight days this past weekend, didn't even hear a deer running. But I heard shots constantly all around me both days.
Posted By: Big AL 76

Re: Am I - 12/12/19 07:59 PM

I have yet to see a deer in the woods myself..
Posted By: Out back

Re: Am I - 12/12/19 08:02 PM

Ya'll should come sit on my back porch.
I think there's three, no make that four, in the yard right now.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Am I - 12/12/19 08:06 PM

Don't think I can remember a sit that I didn't see deer. May need a new spot to hunt
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Am I - 12/12/19 09:13 PM

Smell
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Am I - 12/12/19 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Out back
Ya'll should come sit on my back porch.
I think there's three, no make that four, in the yard right now.

Is this an invitation to come kill a deer on your property?
Posted By: Semo

Re: Am I - 12/12/19 09:24 PM

I have been thinking of hanging it up for the year. The well has run dry. Shot one buck and have saw 4-5 others in the 135+ range prior to nov. 20. Now I can't find any. The post rut lull is on in my part of MO. Full moon too. went to hang a stand at noon and ran one off which was rather insulting.

Called my wife last night and said I was thinking of quiting for the year. she told me to suck it up and get some meat. specifically she said go hunting the rest of the week and quit passing on little bucks. Guess I married well.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Am I - 12/12/19 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Semo
I have been thinking of hanging it up for the year. The well has run dry. Shot one buck and have saw 4-5 others in the 135+ range prior to nov. 20. Now I can't find any. The post rut lull is on in my part of MO. Full moon too. went to hang a stand at noon and ran one off which was rather insulting.

Called my wife last night and said I was thinking of quiting for the year. she told me to suck it up and get some meat. specifically she said go hunting the rest of the week and quit passing on little bucks. Guess I married well.

Naw that just gives her more time to spend with her boyfriend 😃
Posted By: Cooperjohn

Re: Am I - 12/12/19 09:51 PM

Jody.........may be at home
Posted By: Semo

Re: Am I - 12/12/19 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by jb20
Originally Posted by Semo

Naw that just gives her more time to spend with her boyfriend 😃

after I posted I figured it was just a matter of time before that comment showed up. well played.

Re: Am I - 12/12/19 10:52 PM

I will admit the club I’m in now isn’t the best in the world. But people see and kill deer there. I hunted both morning and evening Saturday and Monday, and just the evening yesterday. Deer were seen and killed Saturday and Monday. There was only one other guy hunting yesterday and he saw 4. I don’t get to hunt a lot of days due to work but the last deer I saw was November 23 2017. It was a spike that I killed. Only killed 2 deer since January 2009.
I use to hunt in a nice club years ago where everybody saw deer on most ever sit but me. I think I am cursed. LOL!!! I try to do everything right as far as scent control and playing the wind. This is my 25th year of hunting and still haven’t killed a racked buck. Don’t know, really think about hanging it up. I have lost so much interest in the last few years. I still love hunting but just gets old going and going and never seeing anything.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Am I - 12/12/19 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by handihunter
I will admit the club I’m in now isn’t the best in the world. But people see and kill deer there. I hunted both morning and evening Saturday and Monday, and just the evening yesterday. Deer were seen and killed Saturday and Monday. There was only one other guy hunting yesterday and he saw 4. I don’t get to hunt a lot of days due to work but the last deer I saw was November 23 2017. It was a spike that I killed. Only killed 2 deer since January 2009.
I use to hunt in a nice club years ago where everybody saw deer on most ever sit but me. I think I am cursed. LOL!!! I try to do everything right as far as scent control and playing the wind. This is my 25th year of hunting and still haven’t killed a racked buck. Don’t know, really think about hanging it up. I have lost so much interest in the last few years. I still love hunting but just gets old going and going and never seeing anything.
damn hoss where you hunting
Posted By: DGAMBLER

Re: Am I - 12/12/19 11:01 PM

Try some spots you've never sat before, scout and look for sign. Rubs, scrapes, poop, etc. If you find good sign, you will see deer. I'm still learning myself though. I use to look at a head of woods and say "man, this looks like a good spot for deer" and then I wouldn't see a darn thing. Don't pay attention to how good the spots look, because if there is no deer sign you can just about forget seeing deer. Hang in there man, just try to switch it up a little bit.
Posted By: AUbowhunter1990

Re: Am I - 12/12/19 11:58 PM

My advice is not to get caught up in the success of others. Some people are fortunate to hunt prime land that they have spent years managing. I only hunt public land and it’s easy to get discouraged when you see guys posting 20 deer in a field or a 140 inch buck but you gotta keep grinding.
Posted By: duxlayer

Re: Am I - 12/13/19 01:56 AM

Iv seen 196 deer ( some are the same ones ) in 26 sits .
Posted By: jb20

Re: Am I - 12/13/19 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by AUbowhunter1990
My advice is not to get caught up in the success of others. Some people are fortunate to hunt prime land that they have spent years managing. I only hunt public land and it’s easy to get discouraged when you see guys posting 20 deer in a field or a 140 inch buck but you gotta keep grinding.

He's right...u gotta find that happy medium to what extent you'll pay or drive or spend time in woods vs what u want in a hunt. I dont have many deer but i hunt family land and got a big young family so i just hunt at home it fun and i wouldnt change anything other than during bow season I wish I had more deer 🤣
Posted By: MorningAir

Re: Am I - 12/13/19 02:07 AM

Success in Alabama for deer and turkey hunting is 99.999997% having a good place to hunt and having tons of free time to hunt. If you have land that doesn't hold deer or have deer, then you aren't going to see very many. If you can go alot, you'll eventually find a place to see what's there.

The land I hunt had deer last year. I saw 5 to 11 deer every time I went and killed a really good deer opening weekend. I think I let 9 different bucks walk after opening weekend last season This year we have very few deer, but seem to have 4 coyotes for every deer on camera. Our land is just paper company land, but this year, the deer just aren't using it even with corn on the ground.

Having good land and being able to go 4 or 5 days a week on that good land can be deceiving by what you see on social media, so don't think you suck at hunting. You just hunt regular land in Alabama.
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: Am I - 12/13/19 02:40 AM

I suggest going deeper into the woods. Find the thick stuff with sign. Dump a few bags of corn and hang a stand. Come back 3-4 days later but only if the wind is in your favor. Best to do it on a good weather day too. You do that and you will see deer. If you don’t, then we’ll then maybe you should pick up golf.

Re: Am I - 12/13/19 04:49 AM

Thanks for all the replies. It will be several days before I can get back out, but going to try thinking outside of the norm of what I do for the next hunt.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Am I - 12/13/19 06:21 PM

Where are you hunting at. I might could help you out
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Am I - 12/13/19 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by handihunter

Damn dude, you need to seek a better place to hunt
Posted By: globe

Re: Am I - 12/14/19 03:17 PM

I’m blessed with good deer land NOW, but in the early 80’s it wasn’t like this. We drove to pickens co to hunt because our population was so low.
The few deer we did have made learning to hunt hard a priority. A funnel is the single best way to kill DEER in general. Does when they move and bucks (big and small) when they start moving. There are many, many types of funnels, but find a funnel, get on the down wind side and sit. You don’t need a tree stand. If my life depended on killing a deer, I’d take a rifle start walking into the wind and stop at funnels when I found one. It’s what I still do to this day when I start getting burned out. I always run into deer, there is no “off days” for deer.
Good luck!!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM