Aldeer.com

Tomorrow's hunting

Posted By: roadkill

Tomorrow's hunting - 12/10/19 07:11 PM

I can hunt with a xbow on Wheeler using a canoe to get about 45 minutes into the back areas, will have the wind from the N to my left with a creek to my back. Max range 40 yds.

OR

I can paddle the opposite direction the same distance and use a rifle but bucks only. I can set up watching across several islands and possibly get one after he crosses to the main land. Would be about an 80-100 yard shot.

Suggestion? Which one would you try and why?
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Tomorrow's hunting - 12/10/19 07:29 PM

Youll probly be snowed in so i wouldnt worry about it...plus its the december lull
Posted By: March15

Re: Tomorrow's hunting - 12/10/19 07:35 PM

I’m not sure. Flip a coin. But reading all that sure makes me appreciate walking 100 yards to a box stand on private land.
Posted By: BamaPlowboy

Re: Tomorrow's hunting - 12/10/19 07:43 PM

Guess it really depends if you want to limit your kill to bucks only or does/bucks and which area your more confident in.

Re: Tomorrow's hunting - 12/10/19 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by BamaPlowboy
Guess it really depends if you want to limit your kill to bucks only or does/bucks and which area your more confident in.

Don't know - either would be fine. I just want meat.

Originally Posted by CarbonClimber1
Youll probly be snowed in so i wouldnt worry about it...plus its the december lull

Yup - its snowing like crazy out there right now. have to wait and see.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Tomorrow's hunting - 12/10/19 08:31 PM

Rifle
Posted By: jb20

Re: Tomorrow's hunting - 12/10/19 08:34 PM

Not familiar with those waters but we've had good bit of rain, may need a trolling motor
Posted By: jono23

Re: Tomorrow's hunting - 12/10/19 08:37 PM

I always pick Wheeler over TVA, but you have more boat power than me grin I'm just walking in when I get to go. I think Daniel and I are going to try Wheeler out on Friday, hoping my go to spot isn't under water.

Hope you get some meat!

Re: Tomorrow's hunting - 12/10/19 09:17 PM

Thanks for the replies - we'll see how it goes.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Tomorrow's hunting - 12/10/19 09:27 PM

Either way you a whole lot madder at them that I am. laugh

Re: Tomorrow's hunting - 12/10/19 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by jwalker77
Rifle

Then that it will be. Thanks again

Re: Tomorrow's hunting - 12/10/19 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by jono23
I always pick Wheeler over TVA, but you have more boat power than me grin I'm just walking in when I get to go. I think Daniel and I are going to try Wheeler out on Friday, hoping my go to spot isn't under water.

Hope you get some meat!

All you can do is try - I've got extra canoes if you want to try it. I'm not working at larry's anymore so time to hunt isn't a problem. Age, aches, pains, ect yes, but not time.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Tomorrow's hunting - 12/10/19 09:51 PM

I'm getting my Gheenoe with a 9.8 Tohatsu ready for this weekend and ALL of next week.
Just looking to kill sumpin, anything. Hog,Deer,Bobcat,///////

Re: Tomorrow's hunting - 12/10/19 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Stob
I'm getting my Gheenoe with a 9.8 Tohatsu ready for this weekend and ALL of next week.

I have a 60lb thrust trolling motor but rarely use it. Just easier to paddle plus the weight of the battery and side lean with the motor tends to make a canoe unstable.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Tomorrow's hunting - 12/10/19 10:05 PM

I've got a Kayak but I've found its too time consuming to get to where I want to go
with current/tide/wind.
Posted By: lectrode

Re: Tomorrow's hunting - 12/10/19 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by roadkill
I can hunt with a xbow on Wheeler using a canoe to get about 45 minutes into the back areas, will have the wind from the N to my left with a creek to my back. Max range 40 yds.

OR

I can paddle the opposite direction the same distance and use a rifle but bucks only. I can set up watching across several islands and possibly get one after he crosses to the main land. Would be about an 80-100 yard shot.

Suggestion? Which one would you try and why?

I'm worn out just thinking about those two options. God bless you guys that still have the energy !
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Tomorrow's hunting - 12/11/19 01:10 AM

I have a 60lb thrust trolling motor but rarely use it. Just easier to paddle plus the weight of the battery and side lean with the motor tends to make a canoe unstable.

I have a small gel deep cycle battery I bought off ebay that has really come in handy. It weighs less than 10lb

Re: Tomorrow's hunting - 12/11/19 01:15 AM

I have a small gel deep cycle battery I bought off ebay that has really come in handy. It weighs less than 10lb

Sounds interesting - hauling a deep cycle marine battery in a canoe is not fun. Would appreciate some more info on it.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Tomorrow's hunting - 12/11/19 01:55 AM

Rifle

Agree. I would think Your chances go up significantly with the rifle.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM