Aldeer.com

Shot a big one

Posted By: WGDfarm23

Shot a big one - 01/14/19 11:52 PM

I shot a big one pretty early this afternoon. He was quartering away from me. I shot and he dropped. Then he started squirming around so I tried to put another one in him but he got out of sight. Ended up hearing him run off but never saw him again. Found a bunch of brown and white hair but haven’t been able to find any blood. What do you guys think? I’m gonna look like crazy in the morning no matter what but do y’all think he’s dead or alive?
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Shot a big one - 01/14/19 11:53 PM

Russell county...call CNC!

Although what you described sounds like the classic back slap. Hope it’s not and that you can find him. thumbup
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Shot a big one - 01/14/19 11:56 PM

White hair doesn’t equal backslap but I agree that’s how he acted according to op
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Shot a big one - 01/14/19 11:57 PM

Dog time
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Shot a big one - 01/14/19 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Dog time

This for sure.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Shot a big one - 01/14/19 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by joshm28
White hair doesn’t equal backslap but I agree that’s how he acted according to op

You’re right Josh, I missed that he had white hair.
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Dog time

X3
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 12:04 AM

How far and what did you shoot him with?
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 12:04 AM

Call a dog, but I’m gonna guess you hit his shoulder and exited his brisket. That shot usually won’t bleed til they run at least 60-70 yards.
Posted By: coach2

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 12:06 AM

White hair could be from him hitting the ground on stomach..
Sounds like back slap but I hope it wasn't. Otis was hurt I think but harold can get shelby on him! If the deer is down and Otis is healthy he goes on the tailgate!

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 12:07 AM

Shot him about 140 yards away with a Remington 7 mag sandero bull barrel. I called CNC but it’s a no go from him.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 12:09 AM

Call idahomike he outta be fairly close to you I'd think

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 12:16 AM

Idaho mike...or aj ninette....spell check that name....hate harold couldnt get there but his main man has a banged up pad according to what I read on here
Posted By: top cat

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 12:17 AM

Hope you find him
Posted By: CNC

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by coach2
White hair could be from him hitting the ground on stomach..
Sounds like back slap but I hope it wasn't. Otis was hurt I think but harold can get shelby on him! If the deer is down and Otis is healthy he goes on the tailgate!

Yep...Otis is out of commission for probably week. I'm actually ready to start Shelby on tracks by herself but I really need to start her off with something like a low gut shot that's putting out some blood and scent.....ones that have a higher likelihood of recovery. I don't want to start her off on back slaps or possible misses....The reason I'm doing that is in order to help boost her confidence in the beginning. I just don't need to run a bunch with her that don't have dead deer at end.

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 12:33 AM

I agree with you! Hope you guys get healed up and finish strong!
Posted By: lances

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 12:33 AM

Good luck
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 12:45 AM

Hope you find him! Keep us posted.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 01:04 AM

If you want to find your deer, call him
Mike Lopez: Statewide (Starts Jan. 5). (630) 240-6394.
Posted By: Dkhargroves

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 01:08 AM

Put the dog on it. Call Lopez
Posted By: Possum Hunter

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 01:11 AM

Put a dog on him! flag
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 01:43 AM

Leg busted maybe? Any bone shards? Very little blood? If all these fit then probably so. I hope not.
Posted By: Whild_Bill

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 01:49 AM

Walk from where you last seen him to closest water. No buck call a k9 in. Good luck!
Posted By: Powpow65

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 01:58 AM

Hope you find him, good luck getting any sleep tonight

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 02:20 AM

Lol no way I’m sleeping tonight. And no I didn’t find any blood/bone/meat. Just a bunch of hair. He was right by a ton of thick stuff so he could be 50 yards away and I just couldn’t see him. Hopefully I’ll be posting a pic in the morning!
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 02:46 AM

Don't be hard headed call in a dog.

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Turkey_neck
Don't be hard headed call in a dog.

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 02:49 AM

I’ve called several but I can’t afford to pay $150
Posted By: olemossy

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 02:50 AM

Good luck brother!
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 02:51 AM

I don’t know if it has been mentioned, but it would probably be a good idea to call in a dog.

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by WGDfarm23

There’s a page on fb that’s free. Some guys have good dogs n just do it for the sport just pay them gas money and whatever tip you can afford
Posted By: Jmxinc

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 03:40 AM

Hope you find him
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 03:53 AM

Unless something has changed, Lopez will do it for gas money.
Posted By: lances

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 01:12 PM

Good luck
Posted By: Hoytdad10

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 02:11 PM

popcorn
Posted By: mcninja

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 02:36 PM

Y'all find him?
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 02:43 PM

You're not going to shoulder or European mount a "big one"? I bet you can find a dog within your budget.
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 03:12 PM

I’m in Russell county I’ll help you with the cost.

Hate to see you lose the big one.
Posted By: mcninja

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 03:13 PM

Heck I can chip in a few bucks. 100% worth it to recover a big one.

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 06:31 PM

I talked to several people with dogs and it just didn’t work out. The property line isn’t far from where I shot him and we don’t get permission to cross onto their property. Me and a buddy spent 3 hours trailing this morning. Found a little blood but not much. I’m here for a few days and I’m not giving up yet so I’m going to hunt where I shot him and look for buzzards. The money would be worth it if I found him but I’ve found several myself and I’m just not very confident about him anymore.
Posted By: Booger

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 06:48 PM

Maybe calling someone with a cat would be cheaper. I hope you find him. grin
Posted By: Clark8907

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 08:16 PM

Why not call other property owner and explain situation. I have also found a lot of deer myself, but a dog is a much higher percentage chance of finding the buck. If he is the big one why not pay someone gas money and take the help offered by others? Anyone hunting a deer should do everything within their power to find the animal they shoot. If they dont they shouldn't be hunting.

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 08:51 PM

I already did. The property owner said no and I have to respect that even though I want to cross over and look. I’m not giving up. I’m here until Thursday and I’ll continue to look
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 08:56 PM

I already did. The property owner said no and I have to respect that even though I want to cross over and look. I’m not giving up. I’m here until Thursday and I’ll continue to look

Kudos to you for respecting your neighbors property rights. It may be a chitty thing to deny you access, and I bet the guy is combing his land or looking for buzzards to find that deer, but you are doing the right thing.
Posted By: ChrisAU

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 09:00 PM

I just can't understand why a property owner would ever do that. Hear about it all the time. I'd go with the person, but I'd dang sure never tell them no.
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 09:05 PM

If you see buzzards on his side, you better believe I'd have the game warden out there to go with me to get my damn deer.

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Coosa1
If you see buzzards on his side, you better believe I'd have the game warden out there to go with me to get my damn deer.

Is it your deer? I honestly don’t know. I’m thinking that would be very hard to prove. You have to trust the landowner to do the right thing. I don’t think a GW would help matters.
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Remington270

Is it your deer? I honestly don’t know. I’m thinking that would be very hard to prove. You have to trust the landowner to do the right thing. I don’t think a GW would help matters.

I don't know about AL, but I know some states have a legal requirement for land owners to let a hunter retrieve his/ her wounded game animal from their property. Granted it would be hard to prove that the buzzards were in fact circling his deer, I would definitely be pulling every string I could to get my hands on it.

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Remington270

I don't know about AL, but I know some states have a legal requirement for land owners to let a hunter retrieve his/ her wounded game animal from their property. Granted it would be hard to prove that the buzzards were in fact circling his deer, I would definitely be pulling every string I could to get my hands on it.

Not in Alabama.

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 10:21 PM

I've been thinking about your situation and the different possibilities of what happened......Was the hair that you found long strands of white hair nearly the length of your finger?
Posted By: Gotcha1

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisAU
I just can't understand why a property owner would ever do that. Hear about it all the time. I'd go with the person, but I'd dang sure never tell them no.

Chris. I agree completely. I've never denied a hunter the rights to access our property
to retrieve a wounded deer.
I wonder if the folks that do this, have some kind of illegal activities going on.

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Gotcha1

Chris. I agree completely. I've never denied a hunter the rights to access our property
I wonder if the folks that do this, have some kind of illegal activities going on.

Illegal? Aw c’mon now. It’s his property. He’s allowed to control it as he sees fit.

Re: Shot a big one - 01/15/19 11:49 PM

CNC, all of the hair was about an 1 1/2 to 2 inches long. And I found light colored blood. Not very much blood though.

Re: Shot a big one - 01/16/19 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Gotcha1

Yes it may not be the neighborly thing to do, but it's his land and the law is on his side. The only reason he needs is he doesn't want other people on it. We had a thread about this very recently. It's bad for the OP, but he's handled the situation well by contacting the neighbor and asking for permission, which was denied. Nothing he can do at this point. He can't even be sure the deer is dead and on the adjacent property.
Posted By: Cousneddy

Re: Shot a big one - 01/16/19 12:04 AM

This to the max, and if the property owner hunts there is a good possibility that he will need to look for one on your side.

Re: Shot a big one - 01/16/19 12:24 AM

CNC, all of the hair was about an 1 1/2 to 2 inches long. And I found light colored blood. Not very much blood though.

I was trying to figure out how you would have white hair and brown hair….One possibility if he was quartered away from you at a decent angle is that you could have hit him back in the edge of the hind quarter giving you some brown hair. The bullet passed through a little bit of his hindquarter ….exited…. and then re-entered into the back of the guts giving you white hair. A shot like that would be pretty devastating on one and likely wouldn’t go very far unless it was just a small caliber gun or some type of bullet that didn’t penetrate well. It would still die but could possibly tote it off a ways. Below is something like what it would look like if you blew off that belly hair I’m talking about. If this looks like what you found then he’s likely dead somewhere. If you found mostly brown hair though with only a few bits of white…..then I’d go with the back slap theory.

[Linked Image]

Re: Shot a big one - 01/16/19 12:32 AM

About the neighbor thing……What if the neighbor had been keeping his place quiet and unpressured all season long waiting on the rut to get here and was just getting ready to go in and hunt the area in a few days?? I could understand in that situation why he wouldn’t want someone going in and tromping all over the area with a search party. I’ve had this happen on a track before and while it was disappointing to have to call it off….I could understand where the guy was coming from.
Posted By: mike35549

Re: Shot a big one - 01/16/19 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cousneddy

This to the max, and if the property owner hunts there is a good possibility that he will need to look for one on your side.

I agree 100% I have great neighbors where I live and where I hunt and can't imagine not allowing someone to look for thier deer. I know some good ole boys around here that would never do anyone that way and if you treated them that way you would live to regret it. I hope you find your deer.
Posted By: Reloader79

Re: Shot a big one - 01/16/19 01:52 PM

The neighbor probably didn’t want him piddlin in his sanctuary.
Posted By: ChrisAU

Re: Shot a big one - 01/16/19 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
About the neighbor thing……What if the neighbor had been keeping his place quiet and unpressured all season long waiting on the rut to get here and was just getting ready to go in and hunt the area in a few days?? I could understand in that situation why he wouldn’t want someone going in and tromping all over the area with a search party. I’ve had this happen on a track before and while it was disappointing to have to call it off….I could understand where the guy was coming from.

I'd rather a neighbor make good use of one of our animals (no doubt all those bucks go back and forth between multiple properties) that he has mortally wounded than see it go to waste just so some section of my land remained undisturbed.
Posted By: olemossy

Re: Shot a big one - 01/16/19 02:06 PM

I think its pretty crappy of the neighbor. I know he has the right to do what he wants on his property and maybe he is saving his property for the rut. But as sportsmen,we all have certain responsibilities to do the right thing towards the deer we hunt. This means finding them or trying to find them using all available resources and helping those in need find them as well.

Hate to hear this for you WGDfarm.

Re: Shot a big one - 01/16/19 03:34 PM

I can see it both ways…..Don’t get me wrong, if my neighbors around here called me up with this situation then I’d be just like y’all are talking about and give them permission without thinking twice. However, with all the stuff that I’ve seen since I started tracking…..I can also see situations where someone might not want their property tromped over by search parties just because the neighbor decided to blast away again…. taking some half-ass marginal shot that ends up just crippling the deer…Then suddenly it’s supposed to be the neighbor responsibility to be a good guy and allow him to come over into his place with a search party and tromp down the woods in hopes that maybe the bad decision worked out……

This doesn’t have anything to do with the OP’s track were talking about at all so don’t take that the wrong way. I’m just generally speaking from my experiences of seeing any and everything hunters do. It isn’t just as cut and dry as y’all are making it. I completely agree about being good neighbors…..But there’s a fair amount of these situations that are a direct result of the hunter just lobbing a hailmary at one hoping for the best….A fair amount of calls that come into trackers are due to hunters making really bad decisions about when to shoot….and taking shots that they never should have taken in the first place…..one bad decision leads to another and they go chasing after the deer pushing it……500 yards later they hit the property line and now they need permission to keep chasing it onto the neighbors property.

Again, I do agree for the most part that we should all extend our neighbors the same courtesy that we’d want to be given. But I also can see another side to why someone might say no. It isn’t suddenly his problem because you decided to shoot the deer in the arse…. or facing straight at you…..or while it was running……or from 55 yards with a bow….or any of the other bad shots that get made, I’ve made plenty of them myself over the years so don't think I'm trying to be high and mighty about that part of it or anything like that….I’m just trying to give a little perspective to the conversation and show that it isn’t just always as black and white as the neighbor being the one that’s an arsehole.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM