Aldeer.com

How to Not Spook Deer

Posted By: kntree

How to Not Spook Deer - 12/17/18 03:45 AM

When leaving a stand or walking through an area where you know there are deer, has anyone tried to fool a deer with success?

To elaborate a deer bedded near my stand, I got down slowly, then when finally on the ground the deer got up and moved a bit, then I walked about thirty yards before the first "snort." I used a light grunt like I was another deer because I didn't want to stink up the area. I think I tried a wheeze too because all I had was the grunt/wheeze call. It seemed to work as long as I was walking slow as Christmas. Never heard another snort, usually a deer will alarm you for a while pending how upset they are.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: How to Not Spook Deer - 12/17/18 03:54 AM

I would not worry about it. Deer get spooked by stuff all day everyday. Just walk out like you mean it and go back and hunt when you get ready. They are deer they are not that smart
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: How to Not Spook Deer - 12/17/18 03:59 AM

I think you may do more harm by grunting and especially wheezing than if you just get down and walk out quietly.
Posted By: Hornhntr

Re: How to Not Spook Deer - 12/17/18 04:31 AM

I just walk out like they are not even there. Sometimes they spook sometimes they don’t.
Posted By: MC21

Re: How to Not Spook Deer - 12/17/18 09:07 AM

I usually wait till about 30 minutes after dark if I know there are deer around I figure if they can’t see me they can’t identify what’s climbing out of the tree.
Posted By: gcr0003

Re: How to Not Spook Deer - 12/17/18 10:08 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: How to Not Spook Deer - 12/17/18 01:45 PM

haha, yeah quiet is the trick but thats hard when they're right on top of you
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: How to Not Spook Deer - 12/17/18 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by kntree

Where are these deer that climb trees?
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: How to Not Spook Deer - 12/17/18 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Originally Posted by kntree

Where are these deer that climb trees?

Above him grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: king

Re: How to Not Spook Deer - 12/17/18 02:17 PM

swamp, I didn't know you had this picture of me, that's the reason my umbrella got tore -up.
Posted By: WallyGator0928

Re: How to Not Spook Deer - 12/17/18 02:27 PM

I watched a show one time that talked about the different ways deer blow..... they will blow twice if they've seen something but cant figure out what it is.... this ls like a locator blow to figure out where everybody is at..... if you blow back at them they will come back and settle down. If they blow 5 times then they either smell you or saw enough of you that they're spooked and they're telling everyone to get the heck out of dodge, you're busted.

I've put this to the test and amazingly enough it actually works about half the time, solely with does. About 2 weeks ago I jumped a harem of does and they blew twice and bounced about 20 yards away and looked back towards me to figure out WTH was going on. I blew twice and even stomped my foot a little bit to imitate another deer. Shortly after they flicked their tails and walked right back. I was standing in the middle of a road and they had ran up a hill and couldn't see me through thick timber. As soon as they showed back up in the road and saw me standing there they turned inside out and ran two counties away but it's pretty cool to communicate with them for a short period of time anyways.
Posted By: BPI

Re: How to Not Spook Deer - 12/17/18 02:43 PM

I usually just shoot it so it can't tell anyone.

Re: How to Not Spook Deer - 12/17/18 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by WallyGator0928
I watched a show one time that talked about the different ways deer blow..... they will blow twice if they've seen something but cant figure out what it is.... this ls like a locator blow to figure out where everybody is at..... if you blow back at them they will come back and settle down. If they blow 5 times then they either smell you or saw enough of you that they're spooked and they're telling everyone to get the heck out of dodge, you're busted.

I've put this to the test and amazingly enough it actually works about half the time, solely with does. About 2 weeks ago I jumped a harem of does and they blew twice and bounced about 20 yards away and looked back towards me to figure out WTH was going on. I blew twice and even stomped my foot a little bit to imitate another deer. Shortly after they flicked their tails and walked right back. I was standing in the middle of a road and they had ran up a hill and couldn't see me through thick timber. As soon as they showed back up in the road and saw me standing there they turned inside out and ran two counties away but it's pretty cool to communicate with them for a short period of time anyways.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.
Posted By: mcninja

Re: How to Not Spook Deer - 12/17/18 04:51 PM

Huh, that's wild. I'ma have to test that.
Posted By: DGAMBLER

Re: How to Not Spook Deer - 12/17/18 05:08 PM

I wouldn't worry a whole lot about spooking. I went scouting Saturday morning after hunting, i jumped 4 deer and 2 of them just stood there. I could've had some meat if my gun hadn't been in the truck. slap
Posted By: Reloader79

Re: How to Not Spook Deer - 12/17/18 05:09 PM

You must have read Whild Bills Guide on How Not spook deer.
Posted By: WallyGator0928

Re: How to Not Spook Deer - 12/17/18 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Reloader79

You must have read Whild Bills Guide on How Not spook deer.

I know it sounds goofy but it was an infomercial type thing and they were trying to sell this whistle that could mimic a deer blowing. I just figured, heck I can make that sound close enough with my mouth and I started trying and honestly get it to work about half the time.
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: How to Not Spook Deer - 12/17/18 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by BPI
I usually just shoot it so it can't tell anyone.

Dead deer tell no tales.
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: How to Not Spook Deer - 12/18/18 01:06 AM

Play Thunderstruck from AC/DC on a sound bar. They love that schit.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM