Aldeer.com

Cutover Results

Posted By: Hav2Hunt

Cutover Results - 12/11/18 12:35 PM

Well guy's I hunted the 200 acre cutover the past 2 days. I found a good brush pile made a natural blind out of it with a 5 gallon bucket for a seat walked away with a good 8pt and a doe and have seen plenty of deer. Went and put a tripod up yesterday afternoon its going to be hard not to hunt this spot the rest of the year.
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: Cutover Results - 12/11/18 12:48 PM

I love hunting some cutover. You think it’s good now just give it 3-4 years
Posted By: SouthernRoots

Re: Cutover Results - 12/11/18 01:18 PM

Congrats! those fresh cuts are something else
Posted By: globe

Re: Cutover Results - 12/11/18 03:28 PM

How did you narrow your spot down? Just curious. 200 acres in my neck of the woods is a monster clearcut. You should have 4-5 dif stands minimum to cover it.
Posted By: Bamaturkeykilla

Re: Cutover Results - 12/11/18 03:34 PM

I've had luck in all stages of clear cuts. I can't really pick a stage I like better. I've killed more deer for the wall in first year cuts with logging operations still going on than I have 4-5 year cuts. Luck of the draw is all I can conclude that to.
Posted By: BigEd

Re: Cutover Results - 12/11/18 05:39 PM

Pics of deer and clear cut?

Congrats on the kills.
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: Cutover Results - 12/11/18 05:44 PM

Congrats!!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Cutover Results - 12/11/18 06:24 PM

Congratulations!
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Cutover Results - 12/11/18 07:53 PM

I'm sure y'all are telling the truth, but I've NEVER hunted a fresh cut nor one that is still being logged. Yes, I've heard all the crazy stories, but I think that's all they are--crazy stories, not the norm. Y'all being serious when you say you prefer a fresh dirt cutover over one about belt-high in regrowth?? I mean, if that's all I had on my place I'd give it a shot, but if there's a nasty briar infested cutover vs a new one, uuuhhhh I ain't hunting that new one.

One of my two or three best lifelong friends owns one of the biggest logging operations in this part of the state, and he's told me lots of stories of deer eating treetops while the equipment is running, etc. But he don't hunt fresh cuts. We've hunted together for 40 years since childhood and not once have we hunted a fresh cutover. He would know.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Cutover Results - 12/11/18 09:14 PM

The only clear cut I don’t like is one that has been sprayed before they replant and EVERYTHING is brown.
Posted By: mman

Re: Cutover Results - 12/11/18 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by ikillbux
I'm sure y'all are telling the truth, but I've NEVER hunted a fresh cut nor one that is still being logged. Yes, I've heard all the crazy stories, but I think that's all they are--crazy stories, not the norm. Y'all being serious when you say you prefer a fresh dirt cutover over one about belt-high in regrowth?? I mean, if that's all I had on my place I'd give it a shot, but if there's a nasty briar infested cutover vs a new one, uuuhhhh I ain't hunting that new one.

One of my two or three best lifelong friends owns one of the biggest logging operations in this part of the state, and he's told me lots of stories of deer eating treetops while the equipment is running, etc. But he don't hunt fresh cuts. We've hunted together for 40 years since childhood and not once have we hunted a fresh cutover. He would know.

All I know is our club has had several areas cut during the season. On one 40 acre cut, as soon as they moved out, we set up a tripod. The first time it was hunted, there were over 20 deer seen, including a shooter buck. The next day, another shooter was seen but the gun misfired (didn't fire) and a lot of deer were seen. One member that we didn't really like and didn't tell, happened to be driving by and saw a doe standing in it. He hunted it for several days, killed some does, and it went cold.

I hunted another several hundred acre cut over (cut in the summer and it was down to the dirt) and would see deer in it nearly every time. The deer didn't linger, but would pass though. I killed a 121" 8 pt on the trail of a doe during the rut at 200 yards. I saw other shooters. The next year, it was nearly too tall to hunt because they didn't spray or re-plant. Hunt them while you can!!!
Posted By: globe

Re: Cutover Results - 12/11/18 09:54 PM

I prefer the 2nd year but I have killed a truck load the first year, just not when they're still logging.....
Can't do that.
I have pics and videos from this year of several 8's I've let walk out in ours cleared this February.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Cutover Results - 12/11/18 10:56 PM

I’ve killed deer in them with the loggers just a couple hundred yards away. Deer LOVE disturbance.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Cutover Results - 12/11/18 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mbrock
I’ve killed deer in them with the loggers just a couple hundred yards away. Deer LOVE disturbance.

Yup. When we were having our timber cut a few years ago, my son killed a nice 10 one afternoon out of a stand the loggers were cutting less than a 100 yards from. He got to the stand as they were making the last drag of the day and had the deer killed before the skidders got out of hearing. I hadn't even made it to my stand when he shot!
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Cutover Results - 12/11/18 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Southwood7

The only clear cut I don’t like is one that has been sprayed before they replant and EVERYTHING is brown.

Sounds like my place this year. They started clear cutting us opening week of the season last year and poisoned us late August this year. I've been looking at dead acreage for 2 solid years.
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Cutover Results - 12/11/18 11:52 PM

Dang double tap.
Posted By: gatorbait154

Re: Cutover Results - 12/12/18 12:34 AM

I’m gonna try to kill a buck in a fresh burned cut. They burned our 75 acre cut today and tomorrow, hoping to kill one this weekend in it..
Posted By: jb20

Re: Cutover Results - 12/12/18 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by gatorbait154
I’m gonna try to kill a buck in a fresh burned cut. They burned our 75 acre cut today and tomorrow, hoping to kill one this weekend in it..

Shoulda been on other side when they lit match grin
Posted By: gatorbait154

Re: Cutover Results - 12/12/18 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by jb20
Originally Posted by gatorbait154

Shoulda been on other side when they lit match grin

If I only didn’t have to work for a living😬😬
Posted By: mike35549

Re: Cutover Results - 12/12/18 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by dBmV
Originally Posted by Southwood7

Sounds like my place this year. They started clear cutting us opening week of the season last year and poisoned us late August this year. I've been looking at dead acreage for 2 solid years.

I have about 200-250 acres exactly like that. It is a barren wasteland. Hopefully starting next year it will get better then be really good for 2-3 years. Of course after that it will be unhuntable except for fields and roads.
Posted By: Huntin' Nole

Re: Cutover Results - 12/12/18 02:02 PM

Our new 30 acre clear cut has produced the two best bucks on our place this year. They seem to be loving it.
Posted By: BradB

Re: Cutover Results - 12/12/18 03:14 PM

While the cut is low pay close attention to the trails they are using, they will not change when it grows up.A couple of years ago I watched multiple racked bucks walk the same line across a c cut on my place.Put a stand inside the woods along that trail and it has turned out to be a very good spot for seeing deer.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM