Aldeer.com

Pine stumps - use the passage of time to clear?

Posted By: ALFisher

Pine stumps - use the passage of time to clear? - 03/21/18 06:18 PM

I've had some cutting done around a few of my food plots. I was going to make them bigger, maybe by a half an acre or so each. But, I'm not sure I can get an excavator and bulldozer in for such a small job. I'm not worried about how long it will take. I've heard that after 3-5 years the stumps are pretty much rotted and you can run a disc or subsoiler through them. Anyone know if this works? Thanks.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Pine stumps - use the passage of time to clear? - 03/21/18 06:25 PM

It'll take a heck of a lot longer than 3-5 years. The center of pine stumps become kindling. Hard a rock and will tear something loose, maybe even you. Great for starting fires, but not for plowing thru. They'll need to be dug up. It'll take 10-15 years before you can break the center out of the stumps.
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Pine stumps - use the passage of time to clear? - 03/21/18 06:33 PM

How big , how many, pine, oak or gum? We had some thinning done 3 yrs ago and last fall we were busting off the rotted pine stumps that were under 12".
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Pine stumps - use the passage of time to clear? - 03/21/18 06:49 PM

small pine stumps can be left 2' talll and be broken down in less that 2 years by hand or tractor.

Re: Pine stumps - use the passage of time to clear? - 03/21/18 06:56 PM

All pine. Some 12-18" in diameter, a few larger. I guess it's the larger ones that will be the problem. Maybe I'll just grind them down.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Pine stumps - use the passage of time to clear? - 03/21/18 06:59 PM

What kind of pine, a loblolly will rot fairly well, but a longleaf or slash will be with you for a long time. That loblolly may tear your plow up anyway. If you have a contractor close by I would call him and ask if he can remove the stumps.

Re: Pine stumps - use the passage of time to clear? - 03/21/18 07:03 PM

It's all loblolly. I'm pretty sure that today's loblolly's which usually don't grow more than about 30-35 years don't produce lighter/kindling. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure about that.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Pine stumps - use the passage of time to clear? - 03/21/18 07:25 PM

If you pour trace mineral salt over it the deer and other animals will dig it up. It takes several years, but they will even chew on them.
Posted By: hosscat

Re: Pine stumps - use the passage of time to clear? - 03/21/18 07:35 PM

I had the 16yo loblolly cut off the few acres between my house and the road, after 2 years some of the stumps would bust up with a heavy bush hog. After 3 years they all would. Four years later and I have disked it all up multiple times, picked up all limbs and its completely grass now. I will sprig it in Bermuda as a hay field hopefully this year.

Another tract had mature loblolly (25-28 yo) clear cut 4 years ago. Just a few weeks ago I eased around in the clear cut bush hogging some new lanes/plots and nearly every pine stump would bust up.

Re: Pine stumps - use the passage of time to clear? - 03/21/18 08:21 PM

On the houseplace I have when I bought it, it had 75 trees on about 3/4 acre. I borrowed a mini X from work and dug a few oak and gum out. very time consuming and had to then get dirt to refill all the holes. Rented a walk behind stump grinder for the weekend and ground the rest about 6" below grade in 2 days.

Re: Pine stumps - use the passage of time to clear? - 03/21/18 08:25 PM

Thanks, hosscat. That's similar to what I have heard. I'm going to give it a try. Will report results, as most of the stumps are about 3 years old now.

Re: Pine stumps - use the passage of time to clear? - 03/21/18 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by ALFisher
most of the stumps are about 3 years old now.

That little tidbit in the OP woulda changed everything ..lol
Posted By: Out back

Re: Pine stumps - use the passage of time to clear? - 03/21/18 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by blumsden
It'll take a heck of a lot longer than 3-5 years. The center of pine stumps become kindling. Hard a rock and will tear something loose, maybe even you. Great for starting fires, but not for plowing thru. They'll need to be dug up. It'll take 10-15 years before you can break the center out of the stumps.

Only if it's old growth long leaf.
These hybrid lob lollies we got today will rot in 2 years.
I just plowed up a bunch of 2 year old pine stumps.
They busted like dry goober hulls.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Pine stumps - use the passage of time to clear? - 03/22/18 11:33 AM

Yea, i'm used to dealing with longleaf, didn't know these different pine species would rot away that quick.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM